Request for consultation
Now in its 7th Edition, ESSENTIALS OF PHARMACOLOGY FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS is the best-selling resource for those preparing for licensed practical nursing, medical assisting, and other allied health careers. Clear, concise writing focused on "need to know" drug information gives readers the confidence to master pharmacology. Learn calculations quickly through a simplified step-by-step process. Part I chapters center on basic pharmacologic principles. Medication preparation, supplies, and specific information on each route of administration is covered. Administration checklists allow the learner to put the knowledge into practice. . Part II chapters organize drugs by classifications, and includes purpose, side effects, cautions, interactions, and contraindications. Patient education is highlighted for each category. Reference tables with each classification list the most commonly prescribed drugs according to generic and trade names, with dosage and available forms. The complete pharmacology resource for allied health professionals at every experience level, ESSENTIALS OF PHARMACOLOGY FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS, 7th Edition also makes a great refresher and on-the-job reference.
- Updated Drug Classifications: The latest updates on the most frequently prescribed drugs demonstrate clinical applications while reflecting the rapid changes taking place in pharmacology today.
- Hot Topics: All-new sections on pharmacogenomics, the drug approval process, anti-infectives, and influences on pharmacotherapy promote classroom discussion and build awareness of emerging ideas in the field.
- More Features: Added photos, illustrations, and information tables help readers understand key material and visualize the critical relationships between physiology, pathology, and pharmacology.
- Expanded Toolset: Online resources making learning fun with games, videos, PowerPoint™ slides, interactive Learning Lab and CourseMate tools, and much more!
- New Approval Information: More discussion on the drug approval process, including Phase 1-4 clinical trials, gives future medical professionals the background knowledge they need to stay abreast of promising new medications and their uses.
- Online Resources expand the learning experience with medication administration technique videos, PowerPoint® presentations, audio pronunciations, and extended pharmacology content.
- A special icon identifies the most common and important side effects of drugs.
- Summarized and highlighted for each drug classification, Patient Education boxes assist health care professionals to instruct patients about medications they are taking.
- Reality-based case studies present drug usage scenarios in a variety of settings, providing practical application of drug information.
- A New Study Tools feature highlights additional learning and assessment opportunities.
1. Consumer Safety and Drug Regulations.
2. Drug Names and References.
3. Sources and Bodily Effects of Drugs.
4. Medication Preparations and Supplies.
5. Abbreviations and Systems of Measurement.
6. Safe Dosage Preparation.
7. Responsibilities and Principles of Drug Administration.
8. Administration by the Gastrointestinal Route.
9. Administration by the Parenteral Route.
10. Poison Control.
PART II: DRUG CLASSIFICATIONS.
11. Vitamins, Minerals, and Herbs.
12. Skin Medications.
13. Autonomic Nervous System Drugs.
14. Antineoplastic Drugs.
15. Urinary System Drugs.
16. Gastrointestinal Drugs.
17. Anti-infective Drugs.
18. Eye Medications.
19. Analgesics, Sedatives, and Hypnotics.
20. Psychotropic Medications, Alcohol, and Drug Abuse.
21. Musculoskeletal and Anti-inflammatory Drugs.
22. Anticonvulsants, Antiparkinsonian Drugs, and Agents for Alzheimer's Disease.
23. Endocrine System Drugs.
24. Reproductive System Drugs.
25. Cardiovascular Drugs.
26. Respiratory System Drugs and Antihistamines.
27. Drugs and Older Adults.
Comprehensive Review Exam for Part I.
Comprehensive Review Exam for Part II.
Appendix: Use Caution—Avoid Confusion.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
The perfect way to prepare for exams and get the grade you want! Easy access to key learning objectives for each chapter, outlines of key sections, and self-test questions help you build problem-solving skills while preparing for exams.
The perfect way to prepare for exams and get the grade you want! Easy access to key learning objectives for each chapter, outlines of key sections, and self-test questions, help you build problem-solving skills while preparing for exams.