Request for consultation
Focusing on students as managers, the exciting new ESSENTIALS OF MARKETING RESEARCH, 5e, offers concise yet thorough coverage that delivers the essential information students need to skillfully use marketing research in making effective business decisions. It also equips readers with the skills to perform basic, core marketing research tasks. Designed specifically for instructors who prefer a more concise introduction to marketing research topics, it succinctly addresses the design, collection, analysis, and reporting of marketing research data relevant to a firm's current and future needs. Reflecting the latest developments from the field, the Fifth Edition features an increased emphasis on behavioral tracking, social networking, smart phones, and the resulting impact on marketing research.
- Emerging Trends: Reflecting the latest developments, trends, and issues from the field, the new Fifth Edition is completely up to date. It includes significant new coverage of behavioral tracking with respect to all the automatic data that is now collected. It also offers intriguing discussions of the new ethical situations posed by GPS tracking available on smart phones.
- More Mobile: The new edition illustrates how marketing research is changing. Reducing coverage of in-home telephone interviews and in-person survey approaches, the author focuses on the prevalence of mobile phones versus home phones--and the major implications for marketing researchers.
- Social Networks: An increased emphasis on social networking is integrated throughout the text, especially Chapters 2, 7, and 8.
- New Examples: One to two boxed features per chapter have been thoroughly revised, while a full third of vignettes are new or significantly revised and updated.
- Step-by-Step Guides: Emphasizing managerial applications more than statistical theory, the text equips students with basic tools to perform common data analysis. More sophisticated data analysis approaches are left for further reference. Readers learn how to test simple hypotheses involving differences between means or relationships among variables. Coverage of cross-tabulation, t-tests, ANOVA, and regression teaches students these techniques. Easy-to-follow boxes illustrate how to use software to analyze data and draw conclusions.
- Research Snapshots: Integrated throughout the text, these special features explore marketing research processes in a variety of modern businesses situations ranging from natural disasters to international food. The boxes illustrate research techniques and applications in a step-by-step manner. Examples of companies highlighted include Tupperware, Zicam, Ford, and Apple.
- Learning Objectives: Each chapter begins with a concise list of learning objectives that emphasize the core areas of competency that the student should master before proceeding to the next chapter. Instructors will find these useful in assessment of both student outcomes as well as course or program outcomes. Chapter material is clearly linked to the learning objectives, and end-of-chapter materials emphasize questions and activities relevant to these key competencies.
- Student Friendly: ESSENTIALS OF MARKETING RESEARCH, 5e offers balanced coverage of decision making, qualitative research, and quantitative research tools. Its signature practical, easy-to-understand approach reinforces positive student learning outcomes.
- Hands-on Practice: After illustrating how the Internet is revolutionizing information systems, ways of gathering secondary data, survey processes, sampling, questionnaire design, qualitative analysis, and communication of results, the text enables students to get personal experience using technological tools to build surveys using Qualtrics.
- Real-World Vignettes: Each chapter sets the stage with a story relevant to the topics discussed within. Vignettes include real-world companies as well as "slice of life" stories describing a business person's struggle to make smart decisions. Both demonstrate how research is intertwined with their struggle. These examples are referred to throughout most of the chapters, providing readers with a running example.
- International Coverage: Expanded international examples increase awareness of research issues beyond North America, exposing domestic students to global dynamics. Cultural and language barriers often present challenges for the researcher, and many readers may work outside the United States or Canada--making these illustrations very relevant to future business leaders.
- New Case Material: Almost all chapters include at least one new end-of-chapter case as well as several new end-of-book cases. These cases present interesting, real-life research situations that require students to make thoughtful decisions. They offer the opportunity for active participation in the decision-making process, one of the most effective forms of learning. Many of these cases focus on Internet issues or ethical issues associated with marketing research. Data sets for Excel and SPSS are included for select cases on the text web site.
1. The Role of Marketing Research.
2. Information Systems and Knowledge Management.
3. The Marketing Research Process.
4. The Human Side of Marketing Research: Organizational and Ethical Issues.
Part II: DESIGNING RESEARCH STUDIES.
5. Qualitative Research.
6. Secondary Data Research in a Digital Age.
7. Survey Research.
9. Conducting Marketing Experiments.
Part III: MEASUREMENT.
10. Measurement and Attitude Scaling.
11. Questionnaire Design.
Part IV: SAMPLING AND STATISTICAL THEORY.
12. Sampling Designs and Sampling Procedures.
13. Determination of Sample Size: A Review of Statistical Theory.
Part V: ANALYSIS AND REPORTING.
14. Basic Data Analysis.
15. Testing for Differences Between Groups and for Relationships Among Variables.
16. Communicating Research Results.
PART VI: COMPREHENSIVE CASES WITH COMPUTERIZED DATABASES.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
This robust website offers numerous resources to help maximize student success, including test banks, PowerPoint lecture slides, an interactive quiz, data sets, and the instructor’s manual.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom or wherever you want!