Request for consultation
ESSENTIALS OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT: A LIFE-SPAN VIEW fills the need for a shorter text that emphasizes the essential, defining features of modern research and theory in human development. Using a modified chronological approach and emphasizing the biopsychosocial framework, the text provides: a streamlined, readable account of human development across the life span; conceptual foundations that enable students to become educated and critical interpreters of developmental information; and an introduction to relevant research and its application to important issues in life-span development. Among the most important aspects of this book is its integration of pedagogical features, designed to help students maximize their learning. In addition, the text emphasizes the application of human development research across diverse professional settings, making it ideal for students who are pursuing a career related not just to psychology but to other areas, such as education, health, and human sciences--be it as a nurse, physician, educator, psychologist, social worker, speech-language therapist, or others. These students are often particularly eager to see how human development research can allow them to work more effectively with future patients, students, or clients, and ESSENTIALS OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT answers the call. Succinct and filled with real-life examples, this text will capture your students' interest while introducing them to the essential issues, forces, and outcomes that make us who we are. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The text follows a chronological approach, with coverage that is evenly divided among adolescence, adulthood, and aging to provide a richer and more complete description of human development. The text also adopts the biopsychosocial framework to organize and tie themes together.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Linking Research to Life boxes show how findings from research can be used to improve human development throughout the life span.
- Spotlight on Research boxes highlight a specific study discussed in the text, helping students understand the science and scope of life-span development.
- Real People: Applying Human Development boxes illustrate how a development issue is manifested in the life of a real person.
- Human Development in Action features (in the margins) encourage students to imagine themselves in a specific professional setting and to apply knowledge of human development to a specific problem.
- Learning Objectives, followed by brief vignettes, open the major sections in each chapter. Each major section is numbered for easy assignment and concludes with concept-reinforcing Test Yourself sections (with answers provided upside down for immediate feedback).
- Summaries are organized around the Learning Objectives, reinforcing key concepts.
- Up-to-date findings and references introduce students to the perspectives of those who are currently shaping the field and those who pioneered it. The inclusion of many diversity examples makes the material appealing to the broadest possible range of students. In addition, a diversity and neuroscience index precedes chapter 1 in the book.
- Integrated pedagogical features are designed to help students maximize their learning. In addition, key terms appear in colorized boldface type when introduced, making it easier for students to locate them as they study and review.
Part I: PRENATAL DEVELOPMENT, INFANCY, AND EARLY CHILDHOOD.
2. Biological Foundations: Heredity, Prenatal Development, and Birth.
3. Tools for Exploring the World: Physical, Perceptual, and Motor Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
4. The Emergence of Thought and Language: Cognitive Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
5. Entering the Social World: Socioemotional Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
Part II: SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS.
6. Off to School: Cognitive and Physical Development in Middle Childhood.
7. Expanding Social Horizons: Socioemotional Development in Middle Childhood.
8. Rites of Passage: Physical and Cognitive Development in Adolescence.
9. Moving into the Adult Social World: Socioemotional Development in Adolescence.
Part III: YOUNG AND MIDDLE ADULTHOOD.
10. Becoming an Adult: Physical, Cognitive and Personality Development in Early Adulthood.
11. Being With Others: Forming Relationships in Young and Middle Adulthood.
12. Work: Occupational and Lifestyle Issues in Young and Middle Adulthood.
13. Making It in Midlife: The Unique Challenges of Middle Adulthood.
Part IV: LATE ADULTHOOD.
14. The Personal Context of Later Life: Physical, Cognitive, and Mental Health Issues.
15. Social Aspects of Later Life: Psycho-social, Retirement, Relationship, and Societal Issues.
16. The Final Passage: Dying and Bereavement.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor Sample/Review copy of Kail/Cavanaugh's Essentials of Human Development: A Life-Span View, 2nd Edition.