Request for consultation
ESSENTIALS OF HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, Second Edition, is a comprehensive book that presents your first semester students with both theoretical and practical applications of health information management. The authors' dynamic and unique approach to this topic targets those students who respond best to hands-on and visual learning.
- Chapter 1 updated to include information about new federal legislation, the Joint Commission, quaternary care, and ICD-10-CM implementation.
- Chapter 2 contains new content about professional associations that offer coding credentials and the health data analyst career.
- Important new Chapter 5 on the Electronic Health Record (EHR) discusses the issues associated with implementation, as well as the administrative and clinical applications of electronic records.
- Covers latest information on HIPAA laws and legislation, including the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act.
- Chapter 10 includes new content about payment systems, the recovery audit contractor (RAC) program, "never events," hospital-acquired conditions (HACs), and present on admission (POA) indicators.
- Chapter Reviews allow for immediate assessment of comprehension and retention.
- StudyWare™ CD-ROM includes quizzes and games for each chapter for practice and self-testing.
- Lab Manual available with application-based exercises that allow learners to practice textbook concepts.
- Internet Links are provided to help you expand your knowledge at various government, commercial, and association websites.
- Study checklist at the end of each chapter directs you to other available learning aids that allow you to practice and apply your knowledge.
1. Health Care Delivery Systems.
History of Medicine and Health Care Delivery. Continuum of Care. Health Care Facility Ownership. Health Care Facility Organizational Structure. Licensure, Regulation, and Accreditation.
2. Health Information Management Professionals.
Careers. Professional Practice Experience. Join Your Professional Association.
3. Health Care Settings.
Acute Care Facilities (Hospitals). Ambulatory and Outpatient Care. Behavioral Health Care Facilities. Home Care and Hospice. Long-Term Care. Managed Care. Federal, State, and Local Health Care.
4. The Patient Record: Hospital, Physician Office, and Alternate Care Settings.
Definition and Purpose of the Patient Record. Provider Documentation Responsibilities. Development of the Patient Record. Patient Record Formats. Archived Records. Patient Record Completion Responsibilities.
5. Electronic Health Records.
Evolution of Electronic Health Records. Electronic Health Record Systems. Regional Health Information Organizations. Impact of the American Recovery Reinvestment Act, Public Law 111-5. Components of Electronic Health Record Systems Used in Health Care.
6. Content of the Patient Record: Inpatient, Outpatient, and Physician Office.
General Documentation Issues. Hospital Inpatient Record-Administrative Data. Hospital Inpatient Record-Clinical Data. Hospital Outpatient Record. Physician Office Record. Forms Control and Design.
7. Numbering Filing Systems and Record Storage & Circulation.
Numbering Systems. Filing Systems. Filing Equipment. File Folders. Filing Controls. Loose Filing. Circulation Systems. Security of Health Information.
8. Indexes, Registers, and Health Data Collection.
Indexes. Registers and Registries. Case Abstracting. Health Data Collection.
9. Legal Aspects of Health Information Management.
Legal and Regulatory Terms. Maintaining the Patient Record in the Normal Course of Business. Confidentiality of Information and HIPAA Privacy and Security Provisions. Legislation that Impacts Health Information Management. Release of Protected Health Information.
10. Coding and Reimbursement.
Nomenclatures and Classification Systems. Third-party Payers. Health Care Reimbursement Systems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.