Request for consultation
ESSENTIALS OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE, Tenth Edition, provides students with thorough, objective coverage of all the latest research in the field, cutting-edge topical and case discussions, and the richest examination of career options to be found in a criminal justice text -- all in fewer than 500 pages. Impeccable scholarship is made accessible through the use of integrated learning objectives, visuals, and a unique "Reality Check" theme designed to disabuse students of the incorrect notions, perceptions, and biases they bring to the class. A focus on understanding ethical issues gives students opportunities to grapple with ethical concerns faced by agents of the criminal justice system in their professional lives. What's more, the MindTap® that accompanies this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with video cases, career scenarios, visual summaries, and interactive labs for exploring investigative techniques.
- New real-life case vignettes open each chapter and reflect an ethical challenge in criminal justice. For example, Chapter 10 begins with the story of "Real Housewives of New Jersey" stars Teresa and Joe Giudice, who pleaded guilty to wire fraud and failing to file income tax returns. The discussion reflects on the ethics of the case, i.e., is it fair and just to put non-violent people like Teresa and Joe in prison for a business violation, given the high cost of incarceration and, in this case, the fact that they had four children living at home?
- New part openers highlight news stories about important events that have had significant impact on the justice system. These tie closely into the chapters that follow. The Part 2 opener ("Police and Law Enforcement"), for example, features the 2014 Albuquerque police shooting of an unarmed homeless man that led to eventual Justice Department intervention in the affairs of the department.
- MindTap for Essentials of Criminal Justice, 10th Edition has met the Quality Matters Review Standards and is Quality Matters Certified. For more information, visit qualitymatters.org.
- Completely updated throughout, this edition includes new or revised discussions of such timely topics as high-profile police shootings, lone wolf terrorists, recent gun control developments, the latest on marijuana legalization, police technology, including body cameras and drones, the end to prison expansion, wrongful convictions and youth gangs.
- The new MindTap® for Essentials of Criminal Justice, 10th Edition, is an online learning platform offering customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience –- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets -- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level -- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- "Criminal Justice and Technology" boxes review some of the more recent scientific advances that can aid the justice system. In Chapter 4, for example, body-worn cameras are featured. In the wake of recent high-profile police shootings of unarmed suspects, these devices are finding their way into more and more departments. Chapter 5 discusses the use of drones for tracking drug dealers and other persons of interest.
- "Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice" boxed features highlight evidence-based criminal justice policies and practices, helping students to think critically about current justice issues. For example, a box in Chapter 2 reviews the issues surrounding mental illness and criminal justice, one in Chapter 11 looks at the problems faced by elderly inmates, and a box in Chapter 14 looks at the global trafficking in persons.
- A focus on understanding ethical issues gives students many opportunities to grapple with ethical concerns faced by agents of the criminal justice system in their professional lives. In support of this emphasis, "Ethical Reflections" boxes throughout each chapter challenge students to apply their own sense of ethics to everyday decision-making. These boxes provide further discussion and reinforcement of the ethical issue introduced in the chapter opener, while chapter-ending "Ethical Challenge" features present controversial topics and ask students to address the ethical dilemma posed by the issue in an essay.
- "Careers in Criminal Justice" boxes include a "Reality Check" section that discusses the potential pitfalls of the career area, as well as what might disqualify a person from the career or job being highlighted.
- The "CSI effect" deals instructors one of their greatest challenges. The text's myth-busting "Reality Check" theme meets the challenge head on, helping students replace the fiction they've seen on television or the Internet with a solid understanding of the realities of the criminal justice system. Focus questions encourage critical thinking and discussion.
- Providing maximum reinforcement and promoting student success, chapters begin with numbered learning objectives that are carefully matched to end-of-chapter summary sections -- as well as linked to ancillary quiz and test items.
- "WebApps" throughout the book offer a variety of activities for further research and reading, identifying websites that contain valuable information to enrich the textual material.
1. Crime and Criminal Justice.
2. The Nature of Crime and Victimization.
3. Criminal Law: Substance and Procedure.
Part II: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
4. Police in Society: History and Organization.
5. The Police: Role and Function.
6. Issues in Policing: Professional, Social, and Legal.
Part III: COURTS AND ADJUDICATION.
7. Courts, Prosecution, and the Defense.
8. Pretrial and Trial Procedures.
9. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS AND ALTERNATIVE SANCTIONS.
10. Community Sentences: Probation, Intermediate Sanctions, and Restorative Justice.
11. Corrections: History, Institutions, and Populations.
12. Prison Life: Living in and Leaving Prison.
Part V: CONTEMPORARY ISSUES IN AMERICAN CRIMINAL JUSTICE.
13. Juvenile Justice in the Twenty First Century.
14. Criminal Justice in the New Millennium.
"Choosing to use Siegel/Worrall, Essentials for Criminal Justice was honestly the best decision I have made in a very long time! The textbook was excellent. The students loved the material, and I found it quite easy to work with. PLUS - MindTap was incredible! As a new instructor, the support and framework it provided me was invaluable. I never worried about the administrative time needed to compile grades and the analytics it provided. MindTap allowed me to identify students at risk long before it became an academic issue. Again – great product!!"
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The manual includes learning objectives, key terms, a detailed chapter outline, a chapter summary, lesson plans, discussion topics, student activities, "What If" scenarios, media tools, a sample syllabus and an expanded test bank. The learning objectives are correlated with the discussion topics, student activities and media tools. Each chapter's test bank contains questions in multiple-choice, true false, completion, essay and new critical thinking formats, with a full answer key. The test bank is coded to the learning objectives that appear in the main text, and includes the section in the main text where the answers can be found. The manual is available for download on the password-protected website and can also be obtained by e-mailing your local Cengage Learning representative.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.