Request for consultation
Up-to-date and student-oriented, DRUGS ACROSS THE SPECTRUM encourages students to examine the motivation for drug use, social implications of drug use, legal ramifications, and factors affecting how drugs interact with the human body. It provides a look at the history and culture surrounding drug use and abuse, key information regarding specific types of drugs, and a review of drug treatment, education, and prevention approaches and programs. Utilizing active learning features like "Fact or Fiction" and "Thinking Critically" questions, Goldberg engages and educates students about the topics and issues related to drugs in society. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW! Updated with the latest information on prescription drug use and abuse, designer drugs, FDA regulations of cigarette labels, the results from the latest "Monitoring the Future" study, widespread use of energy drinks, and other current topics.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW! "Cultural Considerations" boxes in each chapter call attention to variations in substance use and abuse between different socioeconomic and ethnic groups and between the U.S. and other nations.
- NEW! Chapter 10 on psychotherapeutic drugs has been substantially revised with new updates on depression rates among young people, newer psychiatric drugs such as Lexapro and atypical SNRIs such as Effexor.
- NEW! Cengage Learning's Health CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support DRUGS ACROSS THE SPECTRUM, SEVENTH EDITION.
- "Fact or Fiction" questions open each chapter and engage student interest in the chapter content.
- "On Campus" boxes motivate students by focusing on relevant, interesting facts and statistics. Examples include correlations among exercise habits, tobacco use, and drinking among college students as well as the consumption of high-energy alcohol beverages among college students.
- "Thinking Critically" boxes at the end of each chapter stimulate critical thinking and classroom discussion. Examples include "Should Drug Policy Focus on Reducing the Supply of Drugs or the Demand for Drugs?" and "The Cost of Health Insurance Continues to Climb. Should Smokers Be Required to Pay More for Health Insurance?"
- Four-color photos and figures highlight the latest statistics and trends, giving students an easy visual reference to support key chapter concepts.
- "Web Resources" with brief descriptions are included at the end of each chapter and direct students to online resources for further information related to the chapter topics.
2. Drugs in Contemporary Society.
3. Motivations for Drug Use.
4. Drugs and the Law.
5. The Pharmacology and Physiology of Drug Use.
9. Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs.
10. Psychotherapeutic Drugs.
11. Stimulants: Cocaine, Amphetamines, Methamphetamines, and Caffeine.
14. Over-the-Counter Drugs.
15. Substance Abuse Treatment.
16. Drug Prevention and Education.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
This comprehensive resource provides learning objectives, detailed chapter outlines, chapter-specific labs, additional websites, classroom activities, and teaching strategies. The Test Bank provides true/false, multiple choice, critical-thinking, short answer, and essay questions. Test questions are correlated to the chapter learning objectives and ranked according to Bloom’s Taxonomy.
Featuring automatic grading, ExamView® allows you to create, deliver, and customize tests and study guides (both print and online) in minutes. See assessments onscreen exactly as they will print or display online. Build tests of up to 250 questions using up to 12 question types and enter an unlimited number of new questions or edit existing questions.
PowerLecture with JoinIn™ Student Response System
Making lecture preparation easier, this DVD includes customizable PowerPoint® presentation slides with images from the text, new BBC® video clips, and electronic versions of the Instructor's Manual and Test Bank. JoinIn content for Response Systems tailored to the text allows you to transform your classroom and assess your students' progress with instant in-class quizzes and polls.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning’s Health CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need! Learn more at cengage.com/coursemate.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.