Request for consultation
In this innovative approach to the Intro Psychology course, authors John Cacioppo and Laura Freberg present psychology as an integrative science that is highly relevant for students of all majors. The authors use a familiar chapter structure, providing an easy roadmap for the introductory psychology course, but the similarities with other approaches to introductory psychology end there. Integration extends in two directions, highlighting connections within psychology as well as between psychology and other disciplines. The writing and features are smart and engaging, and consistently illustrate the benefit of using multiple perspectives within psychology. Cacioppo and Freberg offer the best science possible, including exciting new research findings likely to expand students' understanding of psychology as a scientific field of study. Features and images coordinate with and enhance the text, providing many additional opportunities for critical thinking and connecting ideas. Psychology is evolving into an integrative, multidisciplinary field, and the introductory course offers instructors and professors an opportunity to teach all of psychology in one place and at one time. Cacioppo and Freberg offer a way to present a cohesive understanding of psychology as a highly interconnected and relevant hub science.
- Chapter openers have been reorganized to present a more coherent photographic and narrative picture of how multiple psychological perspectives address a phenomenon. These striking openers "zoom" in and out to show students the connection between the internal, biological level and the broader social context.
- MINDTAP PSYCHOLOGY FOR CACIOPPO/FREBERG'S DISCOVERING PSYCHOLOGY: THE SCIENCE OF MIND, 2nd Edition is a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments that guide students to analyze, apply, and improve thinking, allowing you to measure skills and outcomes with ease. The Discovering Psychology MindTap learning path will include resources that move students through Bloom's taxonomy utilizing adaptive quizzing, scenario-based experiences, auto-scored writing assignments, and social learning tools.
- Chapter-opening learning objectives are more concise, while maintaining the authors' commitment to Bloom's taxonomy.
- Chapter 4 on biological psychology has been restructured to move from the macro level of structures to the micro level of the neuron to better orient students to the chapter's concepts.
- The chapter on development appears earlier (as Chapter 7) and the chapter on motivation and emotion appears later in the book (as Chapter 11) to better group topics for course presentation.
- Three feature boxes-"Thinking Scientifically," "Connecting to Research," and "Experiencing Psychology"-have been updated and appear in each chapter. They continue to offer ways to integrate critical thinking with current events, research with application, and personal experience with psychological concepts.
- "Psychology as a Hub Science" has been removed from a feature box and integrated into the chapter narrative to more effectively emphasize its importance. This feature, which broadens the discussion of a psychological topic to include ways in which it is engaged in cooperative science with other disciplines, is highlighted with an icon to draw attention to it and to interconnect the hub science sections of each chapter across the book.
- "Interpersonal Relationships" sections throughout the book (one in each chapter) show how various psychological perspectives can be applied to a single topic. For instance, "Can We Differentiate 'Like' from 'Love?'" illustrates the methodological perspective on interpersonal relationships, and "What Do We Know about Marriages that Begin Online?" applies the social psychology perspective. Each "Interpersonal Relationships" section, which is now more integrated into the narrative, is highlighted with an icon to draw attention to it and interconnect it with cases across chapters.
- The authors have added many new findings from the latest psychological research throughout the text, and have incorporated updates to all diagnostic criteria to reflect changes in DSM-5.
- Many features have been refreshed with hot new topics-such as millennials and narcissism, effects of caffeine on memory, mindfulness, the use of mobile technologies in therapy, and happiness-to capture student attention and speak to their interests.
- The book explores six integrative perspectives within psychology (social psychology/social neuroscience, cognition, biology/evolution, development, personality/individual differences, and clinical psychology).
- "Psychology as a Hub Science," now integrated into the chapter narrative and identified by an icon, broadens the discussion of a topic to include ways in which psychology is engaged in cooperative science with other disciplines-helping undergraduates to see how what they are learning in Intro Psychology will help them no matter what they major in.
- Unique chapter prologues show big picture and micro views of the chapter topic, providing a window into how the integration of psychology as a science provides a larger perspective for the psychology student.
- "Interpersonal Relationships" features show how various psychological perspectives (e.g., methodological, social psychological) can be applied to increase understanding of a single topic. The authors have selected a topic students from all walks of life will find interesting and relevant-how to build and maintain significant social relationships.
- "Connecting to Research" highlights classic and contemporary studies relevant to chapter material to illustrate the connection between scientific research and the material in the textbook.
- "Experiencing Psychology" provides hands-on, experiential activities for students.
- "Thinking Scientifically" models critical-thinking skills by providing students with an opportunity to critique a piece of research.
- "Visual Summary Tables" present key chapter concepts at the end of each major section, with visual cues to help students remember and learn.
2. The Measure of Mind: Methods of Psychology.
3. The Evolving Mind: Nature and Nurture Intertwined.
4. The Biological Mind: The Physical Basis of Behavior.
5. The Perceiving Mind: Sensation and Perception.
6. The Aware Mind: Elements of Consciousness.
7. The Developing Mind: Life-Span Development.
8. The Adaptive Mind: Learning.
9. The Knowing Mind: Memory.
10. The Thinking Mind: Cognition, Language, and Intelligence.
11. The Feeling Mind: Motivation and Emotion.
12. The Individual Mind: Personality and the Self.
13. The Connected Mind: Social Psychology.
14. The Troubled Mind: Psychological Disorders.
15. Healing the Troubled Mind: Therapy.
16. The Healthy Mind: Stress and Coping, Health Psychology, and Positive Psychology.
"I would say that [Discovering Psychology] is very engaging and written in a way that is highly accessible. I think its main strength is that it does a really good job of highlighting the most interesting elements of psychology, and providing a 'first taste' of what psychology is like. I would also say that it does an excellent job highlighting the ways in which psychology is relevant to people's daily lives and to the things that people spend their time thinking about on a regular basis. I would also mention that the examples and research are very current and make the text feel even more relevant as a result."
"This thorough introductory textbook highlights the application of psychology to a variety of sciences and emphasizes the need to look holistically at psychological issues. The authors selected interesting, current topics that relate to students' lives and provide opportunities for critical thinking. This textbook covers all of the required material for an intro course but does so in an innovative way. Finally-a textbook with useful sidebars that complement and strengthen the text rather than just fill up space!!"
"This text is modern in a way that is interesting and compelling to students, keeps their interest, and allows them to connect psychology to research and their everyday lives while also covering all of the important content."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Online Test Bank
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access