Request for consultation
With its comprehensive, authoritative coverage and student-centered pedagogy, DISCOVERING BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE: AN INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY, 3rd Edition, is ideal for a broad range of students taking a beginning undergraduate course in biological or physiological psychology. Retitled in this edition to reflect the increasing interest in, and importance of, neuroscience, the book provides a foundational understanding of the structure and function of the nervous system and its relationship to both typical and disordered human behavior. Written by an author with more than 30 years of teaching experience at schools ranging from community colleges to the Ivy League, this text presents classic concepts, current topics, and cutting-edge research in a style that is both accessible to beginning and less-prepared students and appealing to students with stronger backgrounds. As a result, the book allows instructors to teach a rigorous course that does not oversimplify the material, while keeping students excited and engaged. Reviewers have praised the text's clear narrative, high-interest examples, pedagogy, and purposeful art program. Updated with hundreds of new citations and to reflect changes in the DSM-5, this edition also includes new boxed features on ethics, careers, research, and health to engage students in the material, promote critical thinking, and prepare students for their future professions.
- New Thinking Ethically features (one per chapter) introduce controversial, contemporary questions that require students to use the information in the chapter to critically examine the issues. These features help to prepare students for future roles as community leaders, when they will need to be able to think ethically about cultural choices related to the neurosciences. For example, the feature in Chapter 1 follows a discussion of brain imaging technology with questions about the potential use of brain imaging as a "lie detection" technology.
- Connecting to Research features highlight either classic or very contemporary single studies in behavioral neuroscience-providing students with a "soft" segue into the scholarly literature that might otherwise seem intimidating. The feature emphasizes the type of critical thinking and creativity required to advance science. For example, Connecting to Research in Chapter 2 describes the re-analysis of Phineas Gage's brain damage using a connectome approach.
- Behavioral Neuroscience Goes to Work features expose students-many of whom have no idea how to meld their passion with their need to find employment-to some of the many career paths that relate to behavioral neuroscience. For example, in Chapter 5, students learn the role of the genetics counselor, whose insights will be increasingly important as the public obtains more information about personal genotypes. Several of the author's former students attribute their career choice in genetics counseling to her introducing this concept in class.
- Building Better Health features provide an additional opportunity for students to think critically about behavioral neuroscience in the context of real-world health problems. Do gluten-free diets relieve symptoms of autism-spectrum disorder? How well do smartphone sleep apps work? How do you recognize the signs of a stroke? Students will find the answers in this book.
- Updated throughout with new research and timely topics, the book has also been revised to match changes made by DSM-5 in terminology and organization, particularly in the discussions of movement disorders, neurocognitive disorders, and psychological disorders.
- MindTap for Freberg engages students through interactive multimedia activities, animations, quizzes and discussion. The MindTap learning path move students through Bloom's taxonomy utilizing formative and summative assessment, videos, and animations; which provide first-rate animations that illustrate biological processes.
- Margin Glossary: The author regularly provides margin definitions for many difficult terms-many more than some other texts that include margin definitions for key terms only.
- Key Terms: The author provides a concise list of key terms, with page references, to help students focus their learning. Given that behavioral neuroscience can often seem more like a foreign language course than a science course, students benefit from guidance regarding which terms should be prioritized.
- Interim Summaries: Each chapter features two to three interim summaries that allow students to catch their breath and check their mastery of the material before proceeding. These summaries present important points keyed to the chapter learning objectives and review questions. Most interim summaries also include a helpful table that pulls together key concepts from the previous section in one convenient place.
- Boxed Features: Each chapter includes four new types of boxed features designed to promote critical thinking and engage students: Thinking Ethically, Connecting to Research, Behavioral Neuroscience Goes to Work, and Building Better Health.
- Chapter Integration: To emphasize how the material fits together and to promote elaborative rehearsal, the author makes references to other chapters relevant to the topic at hand. In the electronic form of the textbook, these references take the form of hyperlinks, allowing readers to refer to other parts of the book and review if necessary before proceeding to new material.
- Chapter Review: End-of-chapter thought questions can also serve as essay or discussion prompts. The Chapter Reviews also include the lists of key terms, with page references.
- Practice Tests: In MindTap™, the online learning experience available with the text, practice tests are provided for each main heading with a comprehensive practice test at the end of each chapter.
- Accessible Writing Style: Students and instructors from community colleges through the top R1 universities like the accessible writing style used in this textbook. The textbook is also widely adopted in non-English-speaking countries, which suggests that the writing style is manageable for those for whom English is not a first language.
- Clear, Large, Carefully Labeled Illustrations: The medical-quality anatomical illustrations help students visualize the structures and processes discussed in each part of the textbook. The illustrations in the textbook are augmented by a set of online animations (available in MindTap™) that help the student grasp processes over time, such as the propagation of action potentials down the length of an axon.
- Learning Objectives and Chapter Outlines: Each chapter begins with a concise set of learning objectives designed to tap into higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy, as well as an outline of the chapter's content. These features prepare students to read more productively by familiarizing them with main terms and concepts to be covered.
2. Functional Neuroanatomy and the Evolution of the Nervous System.
3. Neurophysiology: The Structure and Functions of the Cells of the Nervous System.
5. Genetics and the Development of the Human Brain.
7. Nonvisual Sensation and Perception.
9. Homeostasis and Motivation.
10. Sexual Behavior.
11. Sleep and Waking.
12. Learning and Memory.
13. Hemispheric Assymetry, Language, and Intelligence.
14. Emotion, Reward, Aggression, and Stress.
"The greatest strengths of this text are its masterful conversational style and clarity of expression at the level of the sentence. This makes for a good read."
"The use of modern examples and interesting anecdotes [are strengths]. For instance, the chapter opening discussing blowfish poison [Ch 3] was a good ice-breaker. The example about NeuroAIDS made the material timely/relevant."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint® slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.