Request for consultation
It's no mystery why Larry Siegel remains THE best-selling author in Criminal Justice. Professor Siegel is known for presenting real-life stories of crime, criminals, and the hottest debates in the field, and CRIMINOLOGY: THE CORE, Sixth Edition, does not disappoint. Clear, engaging, and completely current, this four-color paperback is also concise and affordable. The text effectively uses real-world material to clarify concepts and theories, equipping students with a solid foundation in modern criminology. Grounded in Siegel's signature style -- cutting-edge theory plus meticulous research -- this book covers all sides of an issue without taking a political or theoretical position and provides a broad view of the interdisciplinary nature of the field. This edition includes the latest insights into political crime; terrorism (e.g., ISIS, lone wolves; white-collar, blue-collar, and green-collar crime; cyber crime; transnational crime (e.g. sex-trafficking); and many other topics. What’s more, the MindTap® that accompanies this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with video cases, career scenarios, visual summaries, and more.
- New case vignettes illuminate concepts and theories throughout the text. Siegel selects contemporary examples based on relevance, notoriety, and the way in which they raise important legal or procedural issues. Topics include the Ferguson shooting; the Charleston Church massacre; a cancer doctor who made millions of dollars giving people a false diagnosis (illustrating "rational choice" in Ch. 4); and Newtown shooter Adam Lanza (Ch. 5) as well as other high profile cases to suggest that crime is not always just a matter of rational choice, but rather the product of a "twisted mind."
- MindTap for Criminology: The Core, 6th Edition has met the Quality Matters Review Standards and is Quality Matters Certified. For more information, visit qualitymatters.org.
- Completely updated throughout, this edition includes new or revised discussions of such timely topics as ISIS, terrorism and lone wolf terrorists, urban prostitution and cyber-hooking, green crime, mass murder, sex trafficking, hate crime, campus rape and the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination (SaVE) Act, mental illness and crime, and many other hot topics in the field of criminology.
- The new MindTap® for Criminology: The Core, is an online learning platform offering customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience -- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets -- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level -- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- "Policies and Issues in Criminology" boxes show how criminological ideas and research can be put into action. The features include actual examples of research, discussions of the future policy implications of such research, and questions that promote critical thinking. Topics include whether peer deviance affects behavior (Ch. 7); the effectiveness of restorative justice initiatives (Ch. 8); and new to this edition, a discussion of honor killing and honor crime violence against women and girls, which men in some cultures consider to be necessary (Ch. 10).
- "Profiles in Crime" features present actual crimes that help to illustrate the position or views within the chapter. For example, "I Can't Breathe" covers the death of Eric Garner at the hands of police officers because he was believed to be selling "loosies" (single cigarettes) from packs without a tax stamp, prohibited by NYC law.
- Chapter Learning Objectives spell out what students should learn in each chapter, and are reinforced through their linkage to end-of-chapter summaries as well as all of the text's ancillary materials.
- A strong framework of study tools in every chapter maximizes student success, helping readers retain what they learn and encouraging them to think critically about what they read. Study tools include "Thinking Like a Criminologist" role-plays, "Checkpoints", "Connections" boxes to help students link concepts from chapter to chapter, "Critical Thinking" questions, and more.
1. Crime and Criminology.
2. The Nature and Extent of Crime.
3. Victims and Victimization.
Part II: THEORIES OF CRIME CAUSATION.
4. Rational Choice Theory.
5. Trait Theory.
6. Social Structure Theory.
7. Social Process Theory.
8. Social Conflict, Critical Criminology, and Restorative Justice.
9. Developmental Theories: Life Course, Propensity, and Trajectory.
Part III: CRIME TYPOLOGIES.
10. Violent Crime.
11. Political Crime and Terrorism.
12. Economic Crimes: White-Collar, Blue-Collar, and Green-Collar.
13. Public Order Crimes.
14. Crimes of the New Millennium: Cyber Crime, Technology, and Transnational Organized Crimes.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Online PowerPoint® Slide
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Test Bank Microsoft® Word
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions -- most with answers and page references for each chapter of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.