Request for consultation
As riveting and current as today's headlines, CRIMINAL JUSTICE IN ACTION, Ninth Edition, is designed with today's busy students and instructors in mind. Concepts make sense to students, thanks to vivid straight-from-the-headlines vignettes at the beginning of every chapter and plentiful real-world examples throughout the book. Choosing what's important to remember is a snap with each chapter's numbered objectives, which are reinforced throughout the chapter as well as in the book's supplementary items. Thinking critically and writing become less intimidating for students with the guidance of practical writing activities. Reviewers praise the book's crisp, clear topic coverage as well as its engaging magazine-style design and captivating writing, which combine to draw students into the material. And, with this edition's expanded coverage of ethics, policy, and discretion, students gain a panoramic view of key criminal justice issues that goes far beyond learning facts and the law. What’s more, the MindTap® that accompanies this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with video cases, career scenarios, visual summaries, and more.
- All-new chapter opening vignettes help students see the relevance of chapter material and draw them into the reading. Examples include the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed African American, by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri in August 2014 (Ch. 1); the repercussions of professional football player Ray Rice being caught on tape attacking his then fiancée in an elevator in February 2014 (Ch. 3); and how close professional driver Tony Stewart, who struck and killed Kevin Ward during a race in New York in August 2014, came to being charged with manslaughter (Ch. 9).
- MindTap for Criminal Justice in Action, 9th Edition has met the Quality Matters Review Standards and is Quality Matters Certified. For more information, visit qualitymatters.org.
- Three new "Ethics Challenges" in each chapter further strengthen the book's extensive focus on ethics. These challenges reinforce crucial concepts and allow students to explore their own values and those of our criminal justice system. Topics include the extent to which a police officer's ethics informs on-the-job decisions (Ch. 1), stereotyping of minorities as criminals by Hollywood (Ch. 3), ethical issues in private security (Ch. 5), deception during police interrogations (Ch. 7), for-profit bail (Ch. 9), and the ability of juvenile suspects to understand their Miranda rights (Ch. 15).
- A new margin feature in each chapter, "CJ Policy -- Your Take," engages students by having them critique and take a deeper look at a hot-button criminal justice policy issue. Examples include Oregon's Death with Dignity Act (Ch. 1), "stand-your-ground" self-defense laws (Ch. 4), prohibitions against the use of choke-holds by police officers (Ch. 6), the secrecy of grand jury proceedings (Ch. 9), racial impact statements for new state sentencing legislation (Ch. 11), and the disenfranchisement of ex-cons (Ch. 13).
- Greatly expanded coverage of discretion includes a "Discretion in Action" feature in most chapters. Each presents a scenario and asks students what decision they would make if they were in the position of the person involved. Students assume the role of a legislator voting on a law designed to reduce sexual victimization on college campuses (Ch. 3), a police sergeant ordered to rid a local park of itinerant workers (Ch. 5), a judge faced with a conviction based on a potentially faulty eyewitness identification (Ch. 8), and a correctional officer trying to subdue an angry inmate (Ch. 14).
- A major new focus on the mentally ill and the criminal justice system begins with Chapter 1's overview. The subject is also addressed in Chapter 2's opening vignette, which explores Elliot Rodger's struggles with emotional problems leading up to his shooting spree in Santa Barbara in May 2014. Other discussions include the link between mental illness and criminal offending (Ch. 2), the link between mental illness and victimization (Ch. 3), police crisis intervention teams (Ch. 6), executing the mentally ill (Ch. 11), and challenges posed by mentally ill inmates (Ch. 13 and 14).
- The new MindTap® for Criminal Justice in Action, 9th Edition, is an online learning platform that offers customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience –- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets –- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level –- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE IN ACTION remains the most career-oriented text available -- with plentiful first-person accounts of criminal justice jobs to expose students to the wide range of rewarding careers available in the field. Students also learn essential facts on each career choice, including job qualifications, annual salary range, and Social Media Career Tips to help them navigate their criminal justice careers in this age of interconnectedness.
- "CJ and Technology" coverage, while easily identifiable, is integrated into the narrative so students are less likely to skip over technological innovations that are crucial to today's criminal justice system. New topics include the BOSS Biometrics System (Ch. 1), revenge porn (Ch. 4), gunshot detection systems (Ch. 6), through-the-wall sensors (Ch. 7), untested rape kits (Ch. 8), contraband cell phone use by inmates (Ch. 14), and encrypted smartphones (Ch. 16).
1. Criminal Justice Today.
2. Causes of Crime.
3. The Crime Picture: Offenders and Victims.
4. Inside Criminal Law.
Part II: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
5. Law Enforcement Today.
6. Problems and Solutions in Modern Policing.
7. Police and the Constitution: The Rules of Law Enforcement
Part III: CRIMINAL COURTS.
8. Courts and the Quest for Justice.
9. Pretrial Procedures: The Adversary System in Action.
10. The Criminal Trial.
11. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS.
12. Probation, Parole, and Intermediate Sanctions.
13. Prisons and Jails.
14. The Prison Experience and Prisoner Reentry.
Part V: SPECIAL ISSUES.
15. The Juvenile Justice System.
16. Today's Challenges: Security vs. Liberty, Cyber Crime, and White Collar Crime.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.