Request for consultation
Packed with current, real-world examples, ETHICAL DILEMMAS AND DECISIONS IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE offers comprehensive, balanced, and practical coverage of ethics across all three arms of the criminal justice system: the police, the courts, and corrections. Readers find coverage of the philosophical principles and theories that are the foundation of ethical decision-making, as well as the latest challenges and issues in criminal justice -- the militarization of the police, mass imprisonment, wrongful convictions, the misuse of power by elected officials and/or other public servants, and more. The text provides a wealth of hands-on exercises as well as such insightful features as "In the News" boxes spotlighting recent examples of misconduct. For those studying or contemplating a career in criminal justice, real-life cases and situations demonstrate the significance of ethics in today's criminal justice arena.
- Completely current to reflect the latest developments in the field, the ninth edition offers expanded coverage of the militarization of the police, mass imprisonment, wrongful convictions, the misuse of power/discretion by elected officials and/or other public servants, the "future" of ethics in the criminal justice system, and many other timely topics.
- The new edition features an emphasis on analyzing issues and policies in addition to analyzing ethical dilemmas. Each chapter now includes an ethical analysis of a criminal justice issue or policy, e.g. the ATF Fast and Furious gun trafficking operation, current policies and laws to suppress the name of police officers involved in shootings, California's Proposition 47, and others. Similar to the ethical dilemma analyses that are a hallmark of this text, these issues are discussed in terms of the law, policy, and ethics as they relate to the topic.
- MindTap® Online Learning Platform: The new MindTap® for Ethical Dilemmas and Decisions in Criminal Justice, 9th Edition, offers customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience –- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets –- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level –- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- "In the News" boxes focus on real-life examples of misconduct and the effects of misconduct, including Citizens For Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW)'s "The Most Corrupt Members of Congress, 2012" report, the Michael Brown killing, the militarization of police and the 1031 program, the 21st Century Panel on Policing, implicit bias, wrongful convictions, prosecutorial misconduct, and the Riker's Island jail scandal.
- Unique student-centered learning tools help improve retention and mastery of challenging concepts, theories, and issues. Each chapter begins with numbered learning objectives that are carefully matched to end-of-chapter summary sections -- as well as linked to corresponding quiz items in the accompanying MindTap and Test Bank. In addition, a running glossary within the chapters defines key terms when they first appear in the text.
- Featured in-context for each chapter, "Dilemma" boxes present scenarios that help students apply the principles being discussed, while the analysis of the legal, policy, and ethical aspects of each dilemma helps them learn to consider multiple facets of any given situation.
- "Quote and Query" insets stimulate critical thinking by revisiting actual quotes from historical and contemporary figures in criminal justice and asking readers to answer the relevant questions.
1. Morality, Ethics, and Human Behavior.
2. Determining Moral Behavior.
3. Justice and Law.
4. Becoming an Ethical Professional.
Part II: POLICE.
5. The Police Role in Society: Crime Fighter or Public Servant?
6. Police Discretion and Dilemmas.
7. Police Corruption and Misconduct.
Part III: LAW.
8. Law and Legal Professionals.
9. Zealous Advocates.
10. Justice and Judicial Ethics.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS.
11. The Ethics of Punishment and Corrections.
12. Discretion and Dilemmas in Corrections.
13. Correctional Professionals: Misconduct and Responses.
Part V: ETHICAL CHOICES IN TODAY'S WORLD.
14. Making Ethical Choices.
"This book is by far the most comprehensive book addressing ethics within the criminal justice system. The book is well-written and comprehensive and gives the student a clear understanding of the ethical systems used in our society. All components of the criminal justice system are addressed: police, courts, and corrections."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.