Request for consultation
Teach students to master the most proven methods in project management as well as exciting new techniques emerging from current industry and today's most recent research with Kloppenborg's CONTEMPORARY PROJECT MANAGEMENT, 3E. This text introduces time-tested manual techniques and progressive automated techniques, all consistent with the latest PMBOK® Guide and integrated with Microsoft® Project 2013. The book's focused approach is ideal for project management courses in both upper-level undergraduate and MBA-level programs. Students practice manual techniques to ensure that they fully grasp the principles behind the methods before learning to use Microsoft® Project 2013, which is fully integrated into nine chapters of this edition, to complete tasks. Throughout the text, students have opportunities to build strong portfolios to showcase their skills in future interviews as they create specific deliverables for real-world projects, whether from working by themselves or as part of a group. To ensure that students understand the established standards in project management today and to prepare them to become Certified Project Management Professionals (PMP®) if they choose, all content in CONTEMPORARY PROJECT MANAGEMENT is consistent with the knowledge areas and processes of the fifth edition of the PMBOK® Guide. For quick reference, a list at the beginning of each chapter highlights the PMBOK® topics covered, and all glossary definitions are consistent with the PMBOK® Guide.
- CONTEMPORARY PROJECT MANAGEMENT, 3E has been completely updated to reflect A GUIDE TO THE PROJECT MANAGEMENT BODY OF KNOWLEDGE (PMBOK® GUIDE), 5E. All references correspond to the fifth edition of PMBOK®--from new titles and refined definitions for existing processes to new processes and approaches. For easy reference, each chapter begins by clearly identifying the chapter's PMBOK® topics. End-of-chapter PMBOK®-type questions are similar to those used on the PMP and CAPM exams to prepare students effectively, and five new PMBOK® Guide questions are included in each chapter. A separate PMBOK® Guide located in the inside front cover of the text outlines specific pages that cover each topic.
- Extensive agile coverage starts in Chapter 4 and is designated throughout the text by an "Agile" margin callout.
- New chapter examples and PROJECT MANAGEMENT IN ACTION features appear throughout the text from project management practitioners of companies in the United States, Europe, Africa, and Australia.
- COVERAGE OF MICROSOFT® PROJECT 2013 PREPARES STUDENTS TO WORK WITH THE MOST RECENT TOOLS. Discussion of Microsoft® Project 2013 demonstrates how to automate the project management techniques addressed in each chapter. The author presents all concepts using a step-by-step manner that's consistent with PMBOK® work processes.
- A new in-text and online APPENDIX A: PMP AND CAPM EXAM PREP SUGGESTIONS is included.
- New PROJECT DELIVERABLE reference table (after the table of contents) shows the location of instructions and examples for key project management topics.
- EMPHASIS ON HUMAN STRENGTHS GIVES STUDENTS A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW TO MAXIMIZE INDIVIDUALS' UNIQUE ABILITIES. With this text's discussion of human strengths, students learn how to use positive psychology to understand the unique abilities of individuals. An appendix describes each strength theme in the project context to better prepare students to lead and manage project teams effectively.
- STUDENT-ORIENTED, MEASURABLE LEARNING OBJECTIVES GUIDE LEARNING. Each chapter begins with a list of the most important points in the chapter. All chapter materials correlate directly to a specific objective. In addition, all knowledge areas and processes of the PMBOK® Guide are clearly identified at the beginning of each chapter and the book's glossary definitions correspond with the PMBOK® Guide. This consistency with the established standard gives students an advantage in becoming a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP®).
- ACTUAL PROJECTS SERVE AS USEFUL LEARNING VEHICLES. One section at the end of each chapter lists deliverables for students to create (in teams or by themselves) as they complete a real-world project. By keeping clean copies of these deliverables, students can demonstrate their project management skills in job interviews.
- STUDENTS GAIN A SOLID UNDERSTANDING OF EXECUTIVE, MANAGERIAL, AND ASSOCIATE ROLES IN MANAGEMENT AND BUSINESS. This book clearly addresses the responsibilities of many individuals who can impact projects. Aspiring project managers gain a strong understanding of not only their own role but also the roles of those with whom they must interact to successfully complete projects.
- BALANCED SCORECARD APPROACH ENABLES STUDENTS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND SUCCESS AND RESULTS. This book adapts a balanced scorecard approach to help students better understand the many factors that influence project success. Students learn how businesses measure success and determine project results as they see how activities align with an organization's vision and strategies.
- INTEGRATED PROJECT GIVES STUDENTS VALUABLE PRACTICE APPLYING PROJECT MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES. This edition profiles a consistent project throughout the book, giving students consistent real-world practice. The integrated project familiarizes students with many PMBOK®-defined project deliverables such as a stakeholder matrix, communications matrix, and scope statement. Students also practice many Microsoft® Project 2013 features, including the work breakdown structure (WBS), Gantt charts, and resource views. Step-by-step coverage features numerous screenshots and Microsoft®-approved descriptions.
- NUMEROUS NEW EXAMPLES THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION REFLECT THE LATEST BUSINESS DEVELOPMENTS. Students find concepts brought to life with many examples throughout this edition. Each chapter opens and closes with an intriguing example. Examples address many new industries, exposing students to a variety of business experiences. All examples in the chapters and end-of-chapter exercises have been updated to reflect the latest developments.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE OF THE PROJECT LIFE CYCLE BETTER PREPARES STUDENTS TO MANAGE ALL PHASES OF A PROJECT SUCCESSFULLY. Students learn about selecting a project at the front end of the life cycle. This edition also discusses realizing benefits at the back end of the life cycle. Updated coverage reflects the latest in the research and development (R&D) life cycle model. An agile life cycle model has been added.
1. Introduction to Project Management.
2. Project Selection and Prioritization.
3. Organizational Capability: Structure, Culture, and Roles.
4. Chartering Projects.
Part II: PLANNING PROJECTS.
5. Stakeholder Analysis and Communication Planning.
6. Scope Planning.
7. Scheduling Projects.
8. Resourcing Projects.
9. Budgeting Projects.
10. Project Risk Planning.
11. Project Quality Planning and Project Kick-off.
Part III: PERFORMING PROJECTS.
12. Project Supply Chain Management.
13. Leading and Managing Project Teams.
14. Determining Project Progress and Results.
15. Finishing the Project and Realizing the Benefits.
Appendix A: PMP and CAPM Exam Prep Suggestions (online and in printed book).
Appendix B: Strengths Themes as Used in Project Management (online only).
Glossary Terms from the PMBOK® Guide.
"The textbook serves my course very well. It focuses more on applied project management instead of IT projects."
"I've been using Kloppenborg since it first came out (having met [the author] at a conference while I was planning my course for the first time). I really like the book, which is why I have continued using it. I like that it is succinct, laid out intelligently, and includes good examples. . . . I even appreciate the typeface and page organization--it is much easier on the eyes than other texts which are much too densely packed. . . . As project management textbooks go, Kloppenborg's is very student friendly. I also like how it is so tightly connected to the PMBOK and to MS Project. . . ."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access