Request for consultation
CONSUMER BEHAVIOR combines a foundation in key concepts from marketing, psychology, sociology, and anthropology with a highly practical focus on real-world applications for today's business environment. The new edition of this popular, pioneering text incorporates the latest cutting-edge research and current business practices, including extensive coverage of social media influences, increased consumer power, emerging neuroscience findings, and emotion in consumer decision making. In addition, the Sixth Edition includes an increased emphasis on social responsibility and ethics in marketing. With even more real-world examples and application exercises, including new opening examples and closing cases in every chapter, CONSUMER BEHAVIOR provides a thorough, yet engaging and enjoyable guide to this essential subject, enabling students and professionals alike to master the skills they need to succeed.
- Chapters 3, 4, and 7 have been combined into two chapters to more clearly show the way exposure, perception, memory, comprehension, and knowledge are related, while streamlining coverage.
- The order of chapters in Part 4 has been changed and material within these chapters has been carefully reorganized to reflect the latest thinking about the role of social influences, consumer diversity, household and social class influences, and psychographics.
- Chapter 17 has been significantly revised to cover the increased attention being paid to the way businesses and consumers make a difference through marketing and social responsibility.
- New opening examples and new closing cases provide a global and local focus, illustrating a wide range of marketing challenges and opportunities in the United States and in other countries.
- Important new themes represented throughout the book include increased consumer power, shifts in the consumer society, and the changing role of technology-driven developments such as neuroscience, social media, and mobile marketing.
- Exhibits illustrate how consumer behavior concepts apply to U.S. and international marketing situations.
- A conceptual model in each chapter helps students understand how that chapter's key topics relate to one another and how these topics connect to coverage in other chapters.
- Marketing Implication sections show students how various consumer behavior concepts can be applied to the practice of marketing, including essential functions such as market segmentation, target market selection, positioning, and decisions on promotion, price, product, and place.
- Discussion questions at the end of every chapter encourage students to recall and analyze what they have learned and apply the concepts to real-world situations.
- Online exercises provide extensive interaction with real advertisements, consumer data, and marketing strategies; relate chapter concepts to concrete experiences from students' lives; and explore how chapter concepts can be used in the workplace.
1. Understanding Consumer Behavior.
Appendix: Developing Information about Consumer Behavior.
Part 2: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL CORE.
2. Motivation, Ability, and Opportunity.
3. Exposure, Attention, and Perception.
4. Memory, Knowledge, and Comprehension.
5. Attitudes Based on High Effort.
6. Attitudes Based on Low Effort.
Part 3: THE PROCESS OF MAKING DECISIONS.
7. Problem Recognition and Information Search.
8. Judgment and Decision Making Based on High Effort.
9. Judgment and Decision Making Based on Low Effort.
10. Post-Decision Processes.
Part 4: THE CONSUMER'S CULTURE.
11. Social Influences on Consumer Behavior.
12. Consumer Diversity.
13. Household and Social Class Influences.
14. Psychographics: Values, Personality, and Lifestyles.
Part 5: CONSUMER BEHAVIOR OUTCOMES AND ISSUES.
15. Innovations: Adoption, Resistance, Diffusion.
16. Symbolic Consumer Behavior.
17. Ethics, Social Responsibility, and the Consumer Society.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.