Request for consultation
Balancing theory with application and featuring an engaging, student-friendly writing style, the Ninth Edition of COMPARATIVE POLITICS uses a unique theme-Domestic Responses to Global Challenges-to introduce key concepts and examine the growing interdependence of strong and weak states. COMPARATIVE POLITICS takes an in-depth look at ten countries and the European Union, framed within broader discussions in the part-opening chapters on Industrialized Democracies, Current and Former Communist Regimes, and The Global South. The introduction establishes a comparative structure based on five themes: conflict, democratization, economic liberalization, globalization, and challenges, which are then explored for each country. The countries discussed are categorized by economic development, helping students hone their skills of comparison, synthesis, and interpretation by studying countries of similar economic status. With this uniquely effective text, students can gain an understanding of important political trends and concepts, an exposure to politics in a number of countries, and a desire to dig more deeply into the fascinating field of comparative politics.
- The ninth edition starts with "six big questions" that cover themes in politics and political science (which are not always the same), including the pace of change, globalization, inequalities, democratization, human security, and the change nature and role of power at the national, international, and subnational levels.
- More attention to how systems work, especially vicious cycles and virtuous circles, including a introductory level overview of complex adaptive system theory.
- Focus on new themes in comparative politics and other related disciplines such as hybrid regimes, the emergence of the BRICS, approaches to development, and social capital/civil society.
- Additional coverage of "progress" in such areas as multilevel governance, the status of women, and overcoming the divisive nature of identity-driven politics.
- Updates on recent changes including: the most recent elections in the U.S., France, Russia, Iran, and Mexico; breaking issues including the EU's sovereign debt crisis, the leadership and change in China; new social movements including the Tea Party and Occupy movements in the U.S., anti-European organizations, new kinds of NGOs in much of the world, "colored revolutions" and other new protest movements, and organizations that focus on identity issues.
- Critical thinking questions appear in the opening chapter that students can use as a toolkit to examine each country they encounter. These universal questions will help students compare, synthesize, and interpret material from the text, supporting a more thorough understanding of key concepts.
- The text covers ten countries and the European Union in extensive detail. The chapters are organized based on economic development: industrialized democracies, current and former communist regimes, and less developed countries in the Global South. Boxed features in each chapter make insightful comparative analysis easy by highlighting the nature of conflict, democratization, challenges, economic liberalization, and globalization.
1. Seeing With New Eyes.
PART II: INDUSTRIALIZED DEMOCRACIES.
2. Industrialized Democracies.
3. The United States.
4. The United Kingdom.
7. The European Union.
PART III: THE CRISIS OF COMMUNISM.
8. Current and Former Communist Regimes.
PART IV: THE GLOBAL SOUTH.
11. The Global South.
PART V: CONCLUSION.
16. Global Challenges and Domestic Responses.
"…good coverage of a range of countries, aimed at an appropriate intro level of student (not too high or too low), and with a good range of important concepts introduced and then integrated into different types of country examples." - Christopher Muste, University of Montana
"I found the writing style engaging and light, while maintaining a high level of information. This is a very difficult balance to maintain and the authors consistently met this standard throughout the book." -Charles Hantz, Danville Area Community College
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access