Request for consultation
Reflecting Cengage Learning's commitment to offering flexible teaching solutions and value for students and instructors, this new hybrid version features the instructional presentation found in the printed text while delivering all the end-of chapter exercises online in OWLv2, the leading online learning system for chemistry. The result--a briefer printed text that engages students online! Help your students improve their grades and understanding of concepts with this value-packed Hybrid Edition. An access code to OWLv2 with MindTap Reader, is included with the text, providing students with powerful online resources that include tutorials, simulations, randomized homework questions, videos, a complete interactive electronic version of the textbook, and more! Your students will be engaged in the active study of chemistry with CHEMISTRY: THE MOLECULAR SCIENCE, Fifth Edition. Authors Moore and Stanitski, both winners of the ACS Pimentel Award in Chemical Education, infuse their text with timely everyday applications that reveal chemistry as a lively and relevant subject that is fundamental to a broad range of disciplines such as engineering, biology, and environmental science. A revised, annotated art program emphasizes the three concept levels in a pedagogically sound approach to understanding molecules, concepts, and mathematical equations. This briefer, paperbound version does not contain the end-of-chapter problems, which can be assigned in OWLv2, the online homework and learning system for this book. Access to OWLv2 and the MindTap Reader eBook is included with the Hybrid version. The MindTap Reader is the full version of the text, with all end-of-chapter questions and problem sets.
- The first five chapters of the previous edition have been condensed into three chapters. The new Chapter 1 includes material on the metric system, and significant figures (previously in Chapter 2) along with the periodic table coverage previously in Chapters 2 and 3. Chapter 2 now includes the material previously in Chapters 2 and 3. The approach to reactions in aqueous solution has been completely revised and content previous in Chapters 4 and 5 is consolidate into a new Chapter 3. Balancing chemical equations and three reaction types (precipitation; acid-base, and redox) are now discussed before quantitative treatments (reaction stoichiometry, solution concentrations and solution stoichiometry/titrations) in Chapter 3.
- Summary Problems at the end of each chapter help students learn and integrate chapter concepts and provide good study aids for exams. Many Summary Problems are entirely new and all have been edited and improved.
- The #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry, OWLv2, is available for this text--now with new instructor features and enhanced functionality: a Dashboard that consolidates all course materials; easy, intuitive assignment creation and management; ability to preview and select activities/questions for each assignment; new assignment settings and options; improved gradebook; Personalized Study tools to help students focus their time on the key concepts and skills; and MindTap Reader™, a new eBook with apps and embedded video, audio, annotations, and activities. OWLv2 courses for Gen Chem, GOB, and Liberal Arts now include Quick Prep essential skills assignments that can be taken before the semester begins or during the first few weeks, to help students succeed in the course. For this course, OWLv2 also includes new interactive versions of the end-of-chapter questions from the text and new iPad-compatible visualizations, tutorials, and simulations.
- Partly due to consolidating changes cited above, the book has been reduced to 20 chapters instead of 22 previously.
- Revised all Problem-Solving Examples (PSEs) to a four-step Analyze, Plan, Execute, and Check Result format. Problem-solving strategy is clearly delineated in Chapter 1 where students are provided a study strategy for problem solving examples.
- Each CO photo has an associated caption that raises chemistry-based questions that are then answered within the chapter. Specific chapter sections are noted with the questions.
- Made much greater use of annotations ("balloons") that are incorporated into award-winning illustrations; this pedagogically sound practice reduces the need for running text, helps shorten the book, and helps students learn better.
- The variety, comprehensiveness, and conceptual level of chapter-end Questions for Review and Thought (QRTs) have been expanded.
- There are many new chapter-end Questions For Review and Thought (QRTs).
- Aligned QRTs for each chapter with the end-of-chapter summary Having Studied… objectives based on Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Objectives.
- Assessed each QRT based on Bloom's Taxonomy to insure adequate numbers of questions for each taxonomic category. New QRTs written to insure meeting this number.
- Instructive art reinforces conceptual understanding by presenting the three levels: macroscale, nanoscale, and symbolic. Extended use of in-figure captions reduces the need for running text, helps shorten the book, and helps students learn better.
- Thorough, careful explanations of the important concepts and skills needed to apply chemistry to many different fields; important points are bulleted and in boldface type for quick review.
- FOCUS ON PROBLEM SOLVING. An overall emphasis on the four-step problem-solving process (Analyze, Plan, Execute, and Check Result) provides students with a strategy that moves them away from merely memorizing algorithmic solutions to conceptual understanding.
- EMPHASIS ON THREE CONCEPTUAL LEVELS OF CHEMISTRY. The authors emphasize the Macroscopic (laboratory or real-world phenomena), Nanoscale (particles: atoms, molecules, and ions), and Symbolic (chemical formulas and equations) conceptual levels of chemistry throughout the text.
- ESTIMATION BOXES. Many chapters include boxes that pose a problem for which a rough calculation suffices. These boxes help students learn various means of approximation and further develop "reasonableness of answer" skills that are useful for calculator-less exams such as the MCAT.
- A WEALTH OF EXAMPLES, PRACTICE PROBLEMS, AND EXERCISES. Designed to stimulate active thinking, encourage student participation, and refine understanding of concepts the book includes more examples, practice problems and exercises than are found in most similar textbooks.
- Summary Problem at the end of each chapter shows relationships among many concepts from each chapter.
- Integrates organic chemistry, biochemistry, environmental chemistry, materials chemistry, and other areas that are important for society and where many jobs will be available.
2. Chemical Compounds.
3. Chemical Reactions.
4. Energy and Reactions.
5. Electron Configurations and the Periodic Table.
6. Covalent Bonding.
7. Molecular Structures.
8. Properties of Gases.
9. Liquids, Solids, and Materials.
10. Fuels, Organic Chemicals, and Polymers.
11. Chemical Kinetics: Rates of Reactions
12. Chemical Equilibrium.
13. The Chemistry of Solutes and Solutions.
14. Acids and Bases.
15. Additional Aqueous Equilibria.
16. Thermodynamics: Directionality of Chemical Reactions.
17. Electrochemistry and Its Applications.
18. Nuclear Chemistry.
19. The Chemistry of the Main Group Elements.
20. Chemistry of Selected Transition Elements and Coordination Compounds.
Appendix A: Problem Solving and Mathematical Operations.
Appendix B: Units, Equivalences, and Conversion Factors.
Appendix C: Physical Constants and Sources of Data.
Appendix D: Ground-State Electron Configurations of Atoms.
Appendix E: Naming Simple Organic Compounds.
Appendix F: Ionization Constants for Weak Acids at 25 °C,
Appendix G: Ionization Constants for Weak Bases at 25°C
Appendix H: Solubility Product Constants for Some Inorganic Compounds at 25°C.
Appendix I : Standard Reduction. Potentials in Aqueous Solution at 25°C.
Appendix J: Selected Thermodynamic Values.
Appendix K: Answers to Problem-Solving Practice Problems.
Appendix L: Answers to Exercises.
Appendix M: Answers to Selected Questions for Review and Thought.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Search for this text at login.CENGAGE.com and choose Instructor Companion Site to access these digital resources for this text: 1) PowerPoint® lecture slides by Stephen C. Foster, Mississippi State University; 2) Image libraries for figures, photographs, and numbered tables; 3) Instructor's Solutions Manual by Judy Ozment, Pennsylvania State University; 3) Sample chapters from the Student Solutions Manual and Study Guide. 4) List of end-of-chapter questions that you can assign in OWLv2; 5) Cognero® online testing software with questions by Joe L. March, University of Alabama at Birmingham; 5) "Clicker" content for use with the classroom response system of your choice; 6) Chemistry Multimedia Library of lecture-ready animations, simulations, and movies.
Study Guide for Moore/Stanitski/Jurs' Chemistry: The Molecular Science, 5th Edition INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION: Contains learning tools such as brief notes on chapter sections with examples, review of key terms, and practice tests. Answers are provided.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to end-of chapter questions that are numbered in blue and answered in the back of the text. Solutions match the problem- solving strategies used in the main text.
Study more effectively and improve your performance at exam time with this guide! The Study Guide for CHEMISTRY: THE MOLECULAR SCIENCE, FOURTH EDITION contains helpful learning tools, such as brief notes on chapter sections with examples, review of key terms, and practice tests (with answers).
Student Solutions Manual
Go beyond the answers to truly understanding the steps it takes to get there! This solutions manual contains fully worked-out solutions to end-of chapter questions that have blue, boldface numbers and are answered in the back of the text. Solutions match the problem-solving strategies used in the main text.