Request for consultation
New features, up-to-date political news and analysis, and a great price make AMERICAN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS TODAY: BRIEF EDITION, 2014-2015 a top seller. The text shows students how easily and effectively they can participate in the political process. Praised for its balanced coverage, the book examines all the key concepts of American government, while providing exciting student-oriented features that focus on active citizenship.
- New and updated coverage of a multitude of topics including the debt crisis and negotiations, economic recession, the debate over same-sex marriage, new media in politics, the power of interest groups, relations with North Korea and the rest of the world, and in-depth coverage and analysis of the 2012 elections, including the influence of SuperPACs and the impact of redistricting on the composition of the House of Representatives.
- Learning Outcomes now open each chapter, giving students a first look at the chapter's key concepts. These learning outcomes are also revisited throughout the chapter, and correlated with each major section, to provide students a roadmap for assessing their comprehension.
- Full-page quizzes at the end of every chapter are correlated to the Learning Outcomes to help students assess whether they truly understand the chapter content, and ensure that that they succeed on their exams.
- New "Social Media in Politics" and "Helpful Web Sites" marginal features connect students with online resources like political blogs and Twitter feeds relevant to the topic at hand.
- For the first time, students will receive CourseMate packaged with the text as the main text package. With CourseMate, students have a wealth of study tools at their fingertips: practice quizzes, key term flashcards and crossword puzzles, audio chapter summaries, simulations, animated learning modules, interactive timelines, videos, and American Government NewsWatch. The stand-alone text is available, as well.
- A new design creates a visually appealing, user-friendly presentation that will engage students' interest while maintaining its hallmark affordable price.
- "At Issue" boxes focus on current events and controversial topics to provide discussion and conclude with "For Critical Analysis" questions to ignite critical thinking.
- This brief, fourteen-chapter text has been heralded by reviewers as the best essentials text for its affordability, conciseness, clarity, and readability.
- Strong themes of informed and active participation along with a critical-thinking approach spark student interest to get involved and know more.
- "Making a Difference" boxes at the end of each chapter promote student participation by answering the questions "Why Should You Care?" and "What Can You Do?" and offering practical ways for them to get involved in politics and additional online resources.
2. Forging a New Government: The Constitution.
4. Civil Liberties.
5. Civil Rights.
6. Public Opinion, Political Socialization, and the Media.
7. Interest Groups and Political Parties.
8. Campaigns and Elections.
9. The Congress.
10. The Presidency.
11. The Bureaucracy.
12. The Judiciary.
13. Domestic and Economic Policy.
14. Foreign Policy.
Appendix A: The Declaration of Independence.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C: Federalist Papers No. 10 and No. 51.