Request for consultation
This fully revised eighth edition of Joyce Farrell’s PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN: INTRODUCTORY prepares student programmers for success by teaching them the fundamental principles of developing structured program logic. Widely used in foundational Programming courses, this popular text takes a unique, language-independent approach to programming, with a distinctive emphasis on modern conventions. Noted for its clear, concise writing style, the book eliminates highly technical jargon while introducing universal programming concepts and encouraging a strong programming style and logical thinking. Quick Reference boxes, a feature new to this edition, provide concise explanations of important programming concepts. Each chapter now also contains a Maintenance Exercise, in which the student is presented with working logic that can be improved. In addition to each chapter’s text-based Debugging Exercises, this edition now includes Flowchart Debugging Exercises as well. Use this proven book alone or with a language-specific companion text that emphasizes C++, Java, or Visual Basic to provide your students with a sound foundation for programming success.
- Quick Reference Boxes provide concise overviews of key concepts.
- Maintenance Exercises give students the opportunity to examine and improve working code.
- Flowchart Debugging Exercises now supplement the popular text-based Debugging Exercises.
- Mobile Apps are discussed, with an emphasis on how learning structured logic is fundamental to their development.
- Notes have been added to all the Debugging and Maintenance solution files so that instructors can quickly pinpoint each change a student should make in these exercises.
- COURSEMATE ONLINE RESOURCES PROVIDE INTERACTIVE LEARNING, STUDY, AND EXAM PREPARATION TOOLS. CourseMate brings programming concepts to life with a wealth of learning resources and study aids, including an eBook with note-taking capabilities, interactive quizzing, flashcards, and study games. At least three Video Lessons for each chapter, created by author Joyce Farrell, expand on key concepts. Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool, helps monitor student engagement in your course.
- OPTIONAL VISUAL LOGIC SOFTWARE OFFERS POWERFUL, HANDS-ON RESOURCE FOR PERFECTING LOGIC AND PROGRAM DESIGN SKILLS. To maximize your students’ hands-on practice, Visual Logic software is available with this text. Visual Logic provides a simple yet powerful tool for reinforcing logic and program design with flowcharts.
- UNIQUE LANGUAGE-INDEPENDENT APPROACH PROVIDES A SOLID FOUNDATION IN PROGRAMMING LOGIC. The author emphasizes modern concepts and programming conventions to build a solid foundation in structured programming logic. Your students develop an understanding of the tools for success, no matter which programming languages they eventually use.
- BUSINESS-BASED EXAMPLES CLEARLY ILLUSTRATE KEY POINTS. Everyday business examples that require no special mathematical knowledge beyond high school algebra clearly demonstrate key points without overwhelming students with extraneous detail.
- WEALTH OF PROVEN PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES KEEPS STUDENTS ENGAGED AND ACTIVELY LEARNING. Students practice and review what they have learned with chapter-by-chapter Review Questions and intriguing Discussion Questions that are ideal for class debates or writing assignments. Programming Exercises include engaging gaming challenges, while Maintenance and Debugging Exercises improve student ability to critically examine code statements. Popular “Two Truths and a Lie” quizzes provide immediate feedback on how well students understand what they’ve just read.
- FLEXIBLE TEXT APPROACH MAKES IT IDEAL FOR USING THE BOOK ALONE OR PAIRED WITH A LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC COMPANION TEXT. You have the flexibility of using this complete text in your standalone logic course or pairing this book with a companion language primer written specifically for this textbook that emphasizes C++, Java™, or Visual Basic®.
Chapter 2: Elements of High-Quality Programs.
Chapter 3: Understanding Structure.
Chapter 4: Making Decisions.
Chapter 5: Looping.
Chapter 6: Arrays.
Chapter 7: File Handling and Applications.
Appendix A: Understanding Numbering Systems and Computer Codes.
Appendix B: Solving Difficult Structuring Problems.
Appendix C: Creating Print Charts.
Appendix D: Two Variations on the Basic Structures—case and do-while.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.