Request for consultation
Introduce your students to the latest developments in biotechnology and genomics with this new edition of Campbell and Farrell's best-selling text for the one-term course. Known for its logical organization, appropriate depth of coverage, and vibrant illustrations, BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th Edition, helps your students synthesize the flood of information that has inundated the field since the decoding of the human genome, while showing them how biochemistry principles connect to their everyday lives. The book incorporates up-to-date developments in stem cell research, cloning, and immunology and offers revised coverage of major topics, such as Molecular Biology. Balancing scientific detail with readability, the book is ideal for students studying biochemistry for the first time. For example, in-text questions and problem sets categorized by problem type help students master chemistry and prepare for exams, and "Biochemical Connections" demonstrate how biochemistry applies to other fields such as health and sports medicine. In addition, the book's revised state-of-the-art visual program improves learning outcomes and its innovative magazine articles, "Hot Topics in Biochemistry" now reflect the latest advances in the field. Count on BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th Edition, to lead the way in currency, clarity, and innovation for your one-semester biochemistry course
- The #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry, OWLv2, is available for this text-now with new instructor features and enhanced functionality: a Dashboard that consolidates all course materials; easy, intuitive assignment creation and management; ability to preview and select activities/questions for each assignment; new assignment settings and options; improved gradebook; Personalized Study tools to help students focus their time on the key concepts and skills; and MindTap Reader™, a new eBook with apps and embedded video, audio, annotations, and activities. OWLv2 courses for Gen Chem, GOB, and Liberal Arts now include Quick Prep essential skills assignments that can be taken before the semester begins or during the first few weeks, to help students succeed in the course. For this course, OWLv2 also includes new interactive versions of the end-of-chapter questions from the text and new iPad-compatible visualizations, tutorials, and simulations.
- New Hot Topics articles featured in Biochemistry Magazine Insert: The Hop Topics in Biochemistry Magazine which is bound inside the printed book and available online in the MindTap Reader features 15 articles that are hot topics in the biochemistry field right now. 8 articles are available in the printed book, and 7 extra articles are available in MindTap. The Hot Topics are great for in class discussions, or can be assigned as student presentations. The hot topics show how biochemistry is relevant and important to our lives-after all biochemistry is the chemistry of the human body.
- Hot Topics in Biochemistry Magazine: Green Fluorescent Protein: Jellyfish and Green Monkeys, DNA and Family Trees: Who is a Relative, Diabetes: An epidemic for Modern Times, Just One Word: Nanotechnology, Small, Smaller, Smallest: Beyond the Electron Microscope to Single Molecules, HPV Vaccines: Waging the War on Cervical Cancer, Stem Cells: Hype or Hope?, Doping in Sports: Good Science Gone Bad, Aging – Looking for the Biochemical Fountain of Youth, The Science of Happiness and Depression, Humans vs. Flu, Malaria, G-Protein-Coupled Receptors, The Genetics of Breast Cancer, and Proteins and Magnets: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in Biochemistry.
- NEW BIOCHEMICAL CONNECTIONS. Several new Biochemical Connections demonstrate how biochemistry topics relate to the real world in high-interest areas such as allied health, sports medicine, and biotechnology. Biochemical Connections are now flowed in with the text where they are relevant to the conversation. These are meant to be read with the narrative, but they have a special design and magazine style voice to liven up the narrative! These are like crescendos in the narrative that keep student interest at a high level, and show them how biochemistry is a part of them and their daily lives.
- New Marginal Glossary! Per student and faculty requests we added a marginal glossary to each page making it easier for students to learn key terms and understand concepts while reading the narrative.
- INTEGRATION WITH OWL. Improve student learning outcomes with OWLv2, the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry, now with new features and enhanced functionality! Developed by chemistry instructors, OWLv2's reporting and grade book features simplify homework management and track student progress. OWLv2 addresses different student learning styles through tutorials, simulations, visualization exercises, and algorithmically generated homework questions with instant answer-specific feedback. With OWLv2's mastery learning approach, students work at their own pace until they understand each concept/skill. OWL includes MindTap Reader™, an iPad-compatible multimedia eBook. Gen Chemistry, GOB, and Liberal Arts courses include Quick Prep modules to help students learn essential skills.
- Q&A FEATURES. These student-friendly Q&A features, interspersed throughout the text where questions naturally arise for students, help students learn key biochemistry concepts more efficiently.
- APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE BOXES. Interspersed within chapters, these boxes give students critical problem-solving experience.
- Biochemical Connection Boxes-demonstrate how biochemistry topics relate to the real world in high-interest areas such as allied health, sports medicine, and biotechnology.
- PROVEN IN-TEXT LEARNING AIDS. Concise summaries and a broad selection of problems and exercises, as well as an annotated bibliography at the close of each chapter, help students review and apply what they've learned.
- EIGHT NEW "Hot Topics in Biochemistry" articles are now updated with the latest advances in the field.
- ART and design PROGRAM. The book's vibrant, state-of-the art visual program has been revised to even better help students visualize key processes and understand important topics. The visual style and format of the art, a hallmark of the text, is designed to improve student learning outcomes.
- END-OF-CHAPTER PROBLEM SETS. The book's exceptionally strong and varied end-of-chapter questions are grouped by question type and include references to section numbers to help students prepare for exams.
- UPDATED COVERAGE. Each chapter in the text has been updated with the current developments and scientific findings in the biochemistry field.
2. Water: The Solvent for Biochemical Reactions.
3. Amino Acids and Peptides.
4. The Three-Dimensional Structure of Proteins.
5. Protein Purification and Characterization Techniques.
6. The Behavior of Proteins: Enzymes.
7. The Behavior of Proteins: Enzymes, Mechanisms, and Control.
8. Lipids and Proteins Are Associated in Biological Membranes.
9. Nucleic Acids: How Structure Conveys Information.
10. Biosynthesis of Nucleic Acids: Replication.
11. Transcription of the Genetic Code: The Biosynthesis of RNA.
12. Protein Synthesis: Translation of the Genetic Message.
13. Nucleic Acid Biotechnology Techniques.
14. Viruses, Cancer and Immunology.
15. The Importance of Energy Changes and Electron Transfer in Metabolism.
18. Storage Mechanisms and Control in Carbohydrate Metabolism.
19. The Citric Acid Cycle.
20. Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation.
21. Lipid Metabolism.
23. The Metabolism of Nitrogen.
24. Integration of Metabolism: Cellular Signaling.