Request for consultation
The traditional text for the modern student--Pat McKeague's BASIC MATHEMATICS, 8E--is user-friendly for both students and instructors with concise writing, continuous review, and contemporary applications. Retaining its hallmark strengths of clarity and patience in explanation and concept development, this new edition contains new examples, applications, and a closer integration with Enhanced WebAssign. In a course in which many students enter with math anxiety, the author helps students connect mathematics to every day examples through the use of relevant applications and real data. In addition, Enhanced WebAssign, an online homework management system, is fully integrated with the new edition providing interactive, visual learning support with thousands of examples and practice exercises that reinforce the text's pedagogical approach.
- "Preview" boxes provide a glimpse into what topics appear in the chapter and include key words and definitions.
- "Chapter Challenge" problem gives students a scenario and require them to use geographical information to solve it through a series of steps.
- "Ticket to Success" feature requires students to think critically about the section and write a response to the questions as their "ticket into class." This feature encourages students to read the section before coming to class.
- "Moving Toward Success" feature starts each problem set with a motivational quote followed by a few questions to focus the students on their own success. Because good study habits are essential to the success of math students, this feature is prominently displayed prior to each problem set.
- Hundreds of new problems and examples throughout the text include more contemporary applications. Additionally, wherever real data is used, it has been updated to reflect current statistics.
- Each problem set contains a variety of problems, including both skills and applications exercises, and great breadth from easy to challenging. In addition to opening skills based problems (paired and graduated), each problem set contains opportunities to hone analytic skills (asking students to practice estimating), provide more relevance ("Applying the Concepts" questions) and improve their quantitative literacy ("Maintaining your Skills" problems). More challenging critical thinking questions called "Extending the Concepts" are found at the end of the section problem sets.
- "A Glimpse of Algebra" These sections, found in most chapters, show how some of the material in the chapter looks when it is extended into algebra.
- Enhanced WebAssign! Easy to Use. Easy to Assign. Easy to Manage. Enhanced WebAssign is a user friendly way to assign, collect, grade, and record homework. Exercises come directly from the text and can be parameterized to ensure that every student has a parallel, but slightly different homework assignment. This complete learning system for students includes text-specific exercises, as well as tutorials, videos, and links to online tutoring, and eBook sections of the text.
- "Getting Ready for the Next Section" exercises are found in every problem set. This grouping of exercises ensures students have the requisite skills to perform the concepts discussed in the next section.
- Found throughout the text, "Using Technology" shows how calculators can be used to enhance learning and help solve problems. These boxes are easily identified and can be highlighted or skipped depending on instructor preference.
- Chapter openers motivate students to learn the topics in each chapter. Each chapter opener illustrates a real-world application of one of the main chapter topics, and most present the information both graphically and numerically.
- Section openers have been freshly redesigned and are linked to specific examples and applications found in the text.
Place Value and Names for Numbers. Addition with Whole Numbers, and Perimeter. Rounding Numbers and Estimating Answers. Subtraction with Whole Numbers. Multiplication with Whole Numbers. Division with Whole Numbers. Exponents, Order of Operations, and Averages. Area and Volume.
2. FRACTIONS AND MIXED NUMBERS.
The Meaning and Properties of Fractions. Prime Numbers, Factors, and Reducing to Lowest Terms. Multiplication with Fractions, and the Area of a Triangle. Division with Fractions. Addition and Subtraction with Fractions. Mixed-Number Notation. Multiplication and Division with Mixed Numbers. Addition and Subtraction with Mixed Numbers. Combinations of Operations and Complex Fractions.
Decimal Notation and Place Value. Addition and Subtraction with Decimals. Multiplication with Decimals, Circumference and Area of a Circle. Division with Decimals. Fractions and Decimals, and the Volume of a Sphere. Square Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem.
4. RATIO AND PROPORTION.
Ratios. Rates and Unit Pricing. Solving Equations by Division. Proportions. Applications of Proportions. Similar Figures.
Percents, Decimals, and Fractions. Basic Percent Problems. General Applications of Percent. Sales Tax and Commission. Percent Increase or Decrease and Discount. Interest. Pie Charts.
Unit Analysis I: Length. Unit Analysis II: Area and Volume. Unit Analysis III: Weight. Converting Between the U.S. and Metric Systems and Temperature. Operations with Time and Mixed Units.
7. INTRODUCTION TO ALGEBRA.
Positive and Negative Numbers. Addition with Negative Numbers. Subtraction with Negative Numbers. Multiplication with Negative Numbers. Division with Negative Numbers. Simplifying Algebraic Expressions.
8. SOLVING EQUATIONS.
The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions. The Addition Property of Equality. The Multiplication Property of Equality. Linear Equations in One Variable. Applications. Evaluating.
A. Negative Exponents.
B. Scientific Notation.
C. Multiplication and Division with Scientific.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Complete Solutions Manual
The Complete Solutions Manual provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.
This online instructor database offers complete worked solutions to all exercises in the text, allowing you to create customized, secure solutions printouts (in PDF format) matched exactly to the problems you assign in class. For more information, visit www.cengage.com/solutionbuilder
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual