Request for consultation
Recognized by many as the authoritative source of how-to and reference information for students and beginning professionals, Architectural Drafting & Design, 4th Edition - available in full-color for the very first time - details step-by-step methods for the design and layout of each type of drawing required for a complete set of architectural plans. As they work through Architectural Drafting & Design, 4th Edition, readers are challenged to think through and solve numerous design problems while adhering to the latest International Building Code; meeting requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act; taking into account the latest NDS wood design standards; and considering the growing popularity of engineered lumber and steel construction.
- All-new, full-color photographs, CAD-generated drawings, detailed floor plans, plus architectural sketches and renderings designed to focus readers' attention on key architectural design principles.
- More review questions and problems in every chapter than ever before to aid in mastery of important concepts while uncovering areas for further study.
- A specially developed e.resource� for instructors containing items such as customizable lesson plans, ready-to-use PowerPoint presentation files, AVI files (containing video clips and animations to add visual impact to lessons), additional drawing files, computerized testbank and gradebook, and more!
- "Try & Die" AutoCAD 2000 software, plus .dwg files of selected plans from the text (on CD-ROM at the back of the book), for actual practice using one of today's most popular drafting and design tools.
- The latest information on the International Building Codes (IBC & IRC) and the Americans with Disabilities Act, including discussion of their impact on architectural design today.
- Expanded coverage of CADD and freehand sketching techniques that may be applied to solve real-world drafting and design problems presented in the book and also be used to develop critical skills.
- Information on new topics - including the use of engineered lumber and steel construction - to acquaint readers with current construction trends.
- Discussion of NDS wood design standards to ensure use of current lumber standards when developing residential and commercial architectural designs.
- An expanded section on interior and exterior design aimed at providing readers with a better understanding of contemporary design practices while assisting them in plan preparation.
- Enhanced discussion of masonry block foundation wall construction, a construction option that continues to gain in popularity.
- Listings of relevant construction web sites in selected chapters offering up to the minute information on the latest construction materials and techniques.
Architectural Lines and Lettering, Computer-Aided Design and Drafting in Architecture.
Residential Design: Building Codes and Interior Design, Room Relationships and Sizes, Exterior Design Factors, Conservation and Environmental Design and Construction, Site Orientation, Site Plan: Legal Descriptions and Site Plan Requirements, Site Plan Layout. Floor Plan: Floor Plan Symbols, Floor Plan Dimensions and Notes, Floor Plan Layout. Supplemental Floor Plan Drawings: Electrical Plans, Plumbing Plans, Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning. Roof Plans: Roof Plan Components, Roof Plan layout. Elevations: Introduction to Elevations, Elevation Layout and Drawing Techniques, Millwork and Cabinet Technology, Cabinet Elevation and Layout. Framing Methods and Plans: Framing Methods, Structural Components, Design Criteria for Structural Loading, Sizing Joist and Rafters Using Span Tables, Determining Simple Beam, Drawing Framing Plans. Foundations Plans: Foundation Systems, Floor Systems and Foundation Support, Foundation Plan Layout. Sections and Details: Sectioning Basics, Section Layout, Alternate Layout Techniques, Stair Construction and Layout, Fireplace Construction and Layout. Architectural Renderings: Presentation Drawings, Perspective Drawing Techniques, Rendering Methods for Perspective Drawings. General Construction Specifications: Construction Specifications, Construction Supervision Procedures. Commercial Drafting: Commercial Construction Projects, Building Codes and Commercial Drafting, Common Commercial Construction Materials, Structural Drafting. Appendix. Glossary. Index.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download the workbook answer keys.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including chapter outlines, glossaries, flashcards, and learning objectives.