Request for consultation
This concise book for engineering and sciences students emphasizes modern statistical methodology and data analysis. APPLIED STATISTICS FOR ENGINEERS AND SCIENTISTS is ideal for one-term courses that cover probability only to the extent that it is needed for inference. The authors emphasize application of methods to real problems, with real examples throughout. The text is designed to meet ABET standards and has been updated to reflect the most current methodology and practice. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- New exercises and examples, based on real data and information from published sources, reinforce a practical, realistic approach that helps students relate to and understand statistical concepts better.
- Computer output has been updated to reflect the latest technology.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- There are nearly 200 new exercises and 40 new examples, most of which include real data or other information from published sources.
- Section 8.3, on hypothesis testing based on categorical data, now contains a subsection on Fisher’s Exact Test that is a useful alternative when assumptions for the standard chi-squared test fail.
- Section 11.6, on regression, now contains a subsection on the multiple logistic regression model that accommodates multiple predictor variables for a dichotomous response.
- Numerous relevant, current exercises and examples appear throughout.
- The integration of the "Six Sigma Terminology" in Chapter 6 adds to the text's modern approach.
- Describe the key features (e.g. a chapter in the TOC, a feature to spotlight, a supplement to call out, and technology to mention) instructors will want to be aware of.
- Examples that use real data from industry reports and articles introduce students to real-world situations while they learn statistical concepts.
- The authors cover all the important topics concisely, giving students a solid understanding of both statistical methods and design with a problem-solving focus.
- The authors emphasize modern statistical methods including quality and design of experiments to give students exposure to practical applications.
- An emphasis on graphical data analysis methods is consistent with the authors' computer-integrated approach.
- Practical computer pedagogy is integrated throughout the book so that learning of concepts can focus on real applications, using output from the most widely used statistical packages, such as MINITAB, JMP IN, SAS, and S-Plus.
Populations, Samples and Processes. Visual Displays for Univariate Data. Describing Distributions. The Normal Distribution. Other Continuous Distributions. Several Useful Discrete Distributions. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
2. NUMERICAL SUMMARY MEASURES.
Measures of Center. Measures of Variability. More Detailed Summary Quantities. Quantile Plots. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
3. BIVARIATE AND MULTIVARIATE DATA AND DISTRIBUTIONS.
Scatter Plots. Correlation. Fitting a Line to Bivariate Data. Nonlinear Relationships. Using More Than One Predictor. Joint Distributions. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
4. OBTAINING DATA.
Operational Definitions. Data from Sampling. Data from Experiments. Measurement Systems. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
5. PROBABILITY AND SAMPLING DISTRIBUTIONS.
Chance Experiments. Probability Concepts. Conditional Probability and Independence. Random Variables. Sampling Distributions. Describing Sampling Distributions. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
6. QUALITY CONTROL.
Terminology. How Control Charts Work. Control Charts for Mean and Variance. Process Capability Analysis. Control Charts for Attribute Data. Reliability. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
7. ESTIMATION AND STATISTICAL INTERVALS.
Point Estimation. Large-Sample Confidence Intervals for a Population Mean. More Large-Sample Confidence Intervals. Small-Sample Intervals Based on a Normal Population Distribution. Intervals for µ1-µ2 Based on a Normal Population Distributions. Other Topics in Estimation (Optional). Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
8. TESTING STATISTICAL HYPOTHESES.
Hypotheses and Test Procedures. Tests Concerning Hypotheses About Means. Tests Concerning Hypotheses About a Categorical Population. Testing the Form of a Distribution. Further Aspects of Hypothesis Testing. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
9. THE ANALYSIS OF VARIANCE.
Terminology and Concepts. Single-Factor ANOVA. Interpreting ANOVA Results. Randomized Block Experiments. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
10. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN.
Terminology and Concepts. Two-Factor Designs. Multifactor Designs. 2k Designs. Fractional Factorial Designs. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
11. INFERENTIAL METHODS IN REGRESSION AND CORRELATION.
Regression and Models Involving a Single Independent Variable. Inferences About the Slope Coefficient ß. Inferences Based on the Estimated Regression Line. Multiple Regression Models. Inferences in Multiple Regression. Further Aspects of Regression Analysis. Supplementary Exercises. Bibliography.
ANSWERS TO ODD-NUMBERED EXERCISES.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Complete Solutions Manual
Complete solutions to all the problems in the text.
This online instructor database offers complete worked solutions to all exercises in the text, allowing you to create customized, secure solutions printouts (in PDF format) matched exactly to the problems you assign in class. Vist Cengage.com/solutionbuilder for more information.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual