Request for consultation
Created through a "student-tested, faculty-approved" review process Applied CALC is an engaging and accessible solution to accommodate the diverse lifestyles of today's learners at a value-based price. Geared toward business and social science majors, this text equips students with the analytical tools and technological skills they need to be successful in the workplace. Straightforward language and writing style promote conceptual understanding, and the incorporation of real-life applications, examples, and data helps engage students--even those with minimal interest in mathematics. An innovative combination of content delivery both in print and online provides a core text and a wealth of comprehensive multimedia teaching and learning assets, including end-of-chapter review cards, downloadable flashcards and practice problems, online video tutorials, solutions to exercises aimed at supplementing learning outside of the classroom. Also available is Cengage Learning's Enhanced WebAssign®—a complete online homework management system for students and professors.
- An innovative combination of content delivered both in print and online provides a core text and a wealth of comprehensive multimedia teaching and learning assets based on input from student focus groups, surveys, and interviews.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Detachable Review Cards for each chapter provide students a portable study tool containing information to prepare for class and for tests, including section objectives, definitions of key terms, and section summaries.
- Detachable Tech Cards in both the Student and Instructor Editions contain tips on using graphing calculators.
- Detachable Instructor Prep Cards for each chapter make preparation simple by offering section objectives, teaching tips (including common student errors, suggested homework assignments, and time management tips), and Make It Real projects.
- A full suite of unique learning tools that appeal to different learning styles is available to students with the purchase of a new book. Interactive quizzes, videos, extra examples and problems, flashcards, answers and solutions, and more are only a click away.
- All of the content and resources you expect with a supplements package that is second to none including PowerLecture (an instructor CD/DVD), an Instructor's Edition, an e-book, an online Instructor's Manual, and an online Student's Solutions Manual.
- Exclusively from Cengage Learning, Enhanced WebAssign® offers an extensive online program for Applied Calculus to encourage the practice that's so critical for concept mastery. The meticulously crafted pedagogy and exercises in our proven texts become even more effective in Enhanced WebAssign, supplemented by multimedia tutorial support and immediate feedback as students complete their assignments.
Function Notation. Graphs of Functions. Domain and Range. Exercises.
1.2 Linear Functions.
Intercepts. Linear Equations. Finding the Equation of a Line. Other Forms of Linear Equations. Graphing Linear Functions. Exercises.
2. NONLINEAR MODELS.
2.1 Quadratic Function Models.
2.2 Exponential Function Models.
Exponential Function Graphs. Properties of Exponents. Finding an Exponential Function from a Table. Using Exponential Regression to Model Data. Finding an Exponential Function from a Verbal Description. Exercises.
3. THE DERIVATIVE.
3.1 Average Rate of Change.
Graphical Interpretation of the Difference Quotient. Exercises.
3.2 Limits and Instantaneous Rates of Change.
3.3 The Derivative as a Slope: Graphical Methods.
Tangent-Line Approximations. Numerical Derivatives. Exercises.
3.4 The Derivative as a Function: Algebraic Method.
Estimating Derivatives. Exercises.
3.5 Interpreting the Derivative.
4. DIFFERENTIATION TECHNIQUES.
4.1 Basic Derivative Rules.
Derivative Notation. The Constant Rule. The Power Rule. Constant Multiple Rule. Sum and Difference Rule. Exercises.
4.2 The Product and Quotient Rules.
4.3 The Chain Rule.
Composition of Functions. The Chain Rule. Chain Rule: Alternative Form. Exercises.
4.4 Exponential and Logarithmic Rules.
Exponential Rule. Logarithmic Rule. Exercises.
4.5 Implicit Differentiation.
5. DERIVATIVE APPLICATIONS.
5.1 Maxima and Minima.
Continuity. Relative and Absolute Extrema. Critical Values. The First Derivative Test. Exercises.
5.2 Applications of Maxima and Minima.
Revenue, Cost, and Profit. Area and Volume. Exercises.
5.3 Concavity and the Second Derivative.
Concavity. The Second Derivative Test. Point of Diminishing Returns. Position, Velocity, and Acceleration. Curve Sketching. Exercises.
5.4 Related Rates.
6. THE INTEGRAL.
6.1 Indefinite Integrals.
Basic Integration Rules. Indefinite Integral Applications. Exercises.
6.2 Integration by Substitution.
Differentials. Integration by Substitution. Exercises.
6.3 Using Sums to Approximate Area.
6.4 The Definite Integral.
Summation Notation. The Definite Integral. Definite Integral Properties. Exercises.
6.5 The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
Changing Limits of Integration. Exercises.
7. ADVANCED INTEGRATION TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS.
7.1 Integration by Parts.
7.2 Area Between Two Curves.
Difference of Accumulated Changes. Exercises.
7.3 Differential Equations and Applications.
Newton''s Law of Heating and Cooling. Exercises.
7.4 Differential Equations: Limited Growth and Logistic Growth Models.
Limited Growth Model. Logistic Growth Model. Exercises.
8. MULTIVARIABLE FUNCTIONS AND PARTIAL DERIVATIVES.
8.1 Multivariable Functions.
8.2 Partial Derivatives.
Cross Sections of a Surface. Second-Order Partial Derivatives. Exercises.
8.3 Multivariable Maxima and Minima.
8.4 Constrained Maxima and Minima and Applications.
Graphical Interpretation of Constrained Optimization Problems. Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Student Solutions Manual
Online Student Solutions Manual
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access