Request for consultation
Give your students a strong foundation in Java programming and the confidence to build successful mobile applications. ANDROID BOOT CAMP FOR DEVELOPERS USING JAVA: A GUIDE TO CREATING YOUR FIRST ANDROID APPS, by award-winning technology author Corinne Hoisington, helps prepare students with a thorough introduction to Java and the keys to creating effective mobile applications. Designed for a first-semester course in programming, the book can be used by students with no prior Java experience. The book offers an intensive, hands-on tutorial approach with clear, step-by-step instruction and numerous screen shots to guide readers efficiently through tasks with real-life app examples. Practical callouts and industry tips, exercises that extend learning beyond the book, and a variety of leveled cases and assignments help reinforce students’ understanding of programming logic and Java tools for Android. Effectively prepare student programmers to meet growing business demand for mobile apps with this engaging text.
- A fully revised text, updated to work with Jelly Bean and KitKat, the latest versions of Android.
- Features in-depth coverage of app design for tablets, ensuring students learn to work with a variety of mobile devices.
- Chapter 11 now focuses on persistent data, showing students how to save information that can be accessed by multiple activities.
- Bulleted step-by-step instructions help students work through chapter projects with greater ease and speed.
- PRECISE CASE PROJECTS AND LEVELED ASSIGNMENTS ENSURE A VARIETY OF HANDS-ON PRACTICE AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES. Meaningful real-life app assignments extend code presented in the book’s tutorials with leveled cases that range from simple checks to more challenging applied practice.
- HANDS-ON TUTORIAL APPROACH PROVIDES STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION. Numerous screen shots visually guide readers through detailed, step-by-step tutorial presentations. Sections for each platform emphasize the same applications built using native tools, while the book’s hands-on emphasis encourages critical practice.
- VALUABLE INSTRUCTOR SUPPORT PROVIDES TIME-SAVING TOOLS FOR YOUR DYNAMIC LEARNING ENVIRONMENT. A wealth of Instructor Resources accompany this text, including computerized Test Banks, PowerPoint presentations, programming start and solution files, and a thorough Instructor’s Manual filled with classroom teaching tips and support geared for those new to teaching the course.
- INSIGHTFUL MOBILE APPLICATIONS TEXT ADDRESSES TODAY’S DEMANDS AND TOMORROW’S EMERGING TECHNOLOGY NEEDS. This innovative text is specifically designed to help today’s CIS/Programming Department meet the rapidly growing demand for a new Mobile Applications course. Engaging, relevant content emphasizes programming principles so that student programmers are prepared to succeed in a competitive environment driven by the growing demand for mobile apps in business today.
- AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR BRINGS TRUSTED, PRACTICAL EXPERTISE TO BOOK’S PRESENTATION. Well-known author, popular professional presenter, and respected technology instructor Corinne Hoisington provides contemporary expertise as well as practical insights throughout this book. A recipient of the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional in Computer Programming award, Ms. Hoisington applies her understanding of emerging technology to introduce key practical principles and important programming skills that will equip students for ongoing success in their career.
- SOLID INTRODUCTION TO JAVA AND BUILDING MOBILE APPLICATIONS EMPHASIZES STRONG PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND CRITICAL JAVA TOOLS. Your students establish a strong foundation in Java while perfecting the technical skills and building the confidence to tackle real-world mobile applications projects.
- HELPFUL CALLOUTS OFFER QUICK, PRACTICAL TIPS INVALUABLE BOTH NOW AND ON-THE-JOB. “In the Trenches” callouts provide realistic glimpses into the actual priorities of today’s mobile applications professionals and relate the information students are learning to on-the-job success. In addition, “Good to Know” callouts provide helpful tips and advice to further students’ programming accomplishments.
- PRACTICAL LEARNING FEATURES AND EXERCISES EXTEND LEARNING BEYOND THE CLASSROOM. Filled with hands-on, practical features and advice, this functional book offers “Beyond the Book” exercises that encourage students to take learning experiences to the next level. Summaries, Key Terms, and Definitions further encourage seamless learning.
2. Simplify! The Android User Interface.
3. Engage! Android User Input, Variables, & Operations.
4. Explore! Icons & Decision Making Controls.
5. Investigate! Android Lists, Arrays, and Web Browsers.
6. Jam! Implementing Audio in Android Apps.
7: Reveal! Displaying Pictures in a GridView.
8: Design! Using a DatePicker on a Tablet
9: Customize! Navigating with Tabs on a Tablet App
10: Move! Creating Animation and Graphics.
11: Discover! Persistent Data.
12: Finale! Publishing your Android App.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access