Request for consultation
Integrating the latest developments in Microsoft® Office Excel® 2013, Anderson/Sweeney/Williams/Camm/Cochran/Fry/Ohlmann's AN INTRODUCTION TO MANAGEMENT SCIENCE: QUANTITATIVE APPROACHES TO DECISION MAKING, 14E equips students with a sound conceptual understanding of the role that management science plays in the decision-making process. The trusted market leader for more than two decades, the text defines today's management science course. The authors continue to provide unwavering accuracy with the book's emphasis on applications and timely, powerful examples. The book's hallmark problem-scenario approach introduces each quantitative technique within an applications setting. Students must apply the management science model to generate solutions and recommendations for management. For the 14th Edition, all data sets, applications, and screen visuals reflect the details of Excel 2013 to accurately prepare your students to work with the latest spreadsheet tools. In addition, a comprehensive support package offers all the written and online timesaving support you need with trusted solutions written by the text authors. Online content includes online chapters, LINGO software and Excel add-ins.
- ADDITIONAL AUTHORS. For the new 14th Edition, the text's renowned author team is joined by three new, outstanding authors--James J. Cochran of the University of Alabama, Michael J. Fry of the University of Cincinnati, and Jeffrey W. Ohlmann of the University of Iowa. All three are strong contributors who bring a thoughtful and fresh view to the subject matter.
- NEW UTILITY THEORY COVERAGE. Chapter 13 "Decision Analysis" includes an all-new section on Utility Theory to complement the comprehensive material on decision analysis.
- MICROSOFT® OFFICE EXCEL® 2013 INTEGRATION. Detailing the latest information from Excel 2013, chapter appendices offer step-by-step instructions on how to use Excel Solver and LINGO. Both Excel and LINGO files are available on the text's companion Website for every model illustrated in the text.
- UPDATED APPENDIX A: BUILDING SPREADSHEET MODELS. This helpful, optional appendix provides useful insights for solving optimization models with Excel Solver. It also discusses the principles of good spreadsheet modeling and offers helping auditing tips as well as practical exercises.
- UPDATED TRENDS AND SEASONALITY COVERAGE. A fully revised Chapter 15 "Time Series Analysis and Forecasting" includes an updated discussion of trends and seasonality that focuses on the use of regression to estimate linear trends and seasonal effects. In addition, a discussion on using the Excel INEST function to estimate linear trends and seasonal effect has been added to an appendix at the end of this chapter. The revisions represent industry approaches to these important topics.
- NEW REAL-WORLD CASES AND EXAMPLES. Concise yet insightful "Management Science in Action" summaries describe how each chapter's concepts are actually used in real-world practice. The 14th Edition offers more than 20 engaging new Management Science in Action vignettes and cases as well as homework problems for hands-on practice.
- NEW CENGAGENOW. CengageNOW is a powerful course management and online homework tool that provides robust instructor control and customization to optimize the learning experience and meet desired outcomes. CengageNOW features author-written homework from the textbook, Integrated e-book, Assessment Options, and Course Management Tools, including a Gradebook.
- REAL-DATA EXAMPLES. Known for its practical, real-world emphasis, the text provides actual data drawn from real business that emphasizes applications as well as solid management science and quantitative methodology.
- INTEGRATED SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS. The text integrates coverage of the software applications most commonly used today, helping you equip students with critical skills in LINGO as well as Excel with quantitative add-ins. For your convenience, coverage of LINGO and Excel with add-ins such as TreePlan and Analytic Solver Platform appear in appendixes--enabling you to introduce them when it best fits with your course.
- ROBUST ONLINE CONTENT. The text's wealth of digital content provides five online chapters, excel templates and add-ins that correspond with text examples and models, and software. Students can also access LINGO trial edition software and Analytic Solver Platform.
- SELF-TEST EXERCISES. Helpful Self-Test Exercises throughout each chapter with complete solutions allow students to check their understanding of concepts as they progress through the text. The exercises also serve as excellent exam-prep tools. A complete, step-by-step solution to each Self-Test exercise is included in Appendix E.
- PROVEN AUTHORS. Respected leaders and active consultants in the fields of business and statistics, the Anderson/Sweeney/Williams/Camm/Cochran/Fry/Ohlmann team of authors personally write and confirm all text presentation examples, problems, and Test Bank content to ensure unwavering accuracy and dependability.
- PROBLEM-SCENARIO APPROACH. A hallmark strength of this text, the authors' proven problem-scenario approach introduces problems using the management science model and introduces each quantitative technique within an application setting. Students must apply the management science technique to each problem to generate a business solution or recommendation.
2. An Introduction to Linear Programming.
3. Linear Programming: Sensitivity Analysis and Interpretation of Solution.
4. Linear Programming Applications in Marketing, Finance, and Operations Management.
5. Advanced Linear Programming Applications.
6. Distribution and Network Models.
7. Integer Linear Programming.
8. Nonlinear Optimization Models.
9. Project Scheduling: PERT/CPM.
10. Inventory Models.
11. Waiting Line Models.
13. Decision Analysis.
14. Multicriteria Decisions.
15. Time Series Analysis and Forecasting.
16. Markov Processes.
17. Linear Programming: Simplex Method (on Website).
18. Simplex-Based Sensitivity Analysis and Duality (on Website).
19. Solutions Procedures for Transportation and Assignment Problems (on Website).
20. Minimal Spanning Tree (on Website).
21. Dynamic Programming (on Website).
Appendix A: Building Spreadsheet Models.
Appendix B: Areas for the Standard Normal Distribution.
Appendix C: Values of e–λ.
Appendix D: References and Bibliography.
Appendix E: Self-Test Solutions and Answers to Even-Numbered Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero™, is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.