Request for consultation
The reputable authors of AMERICAN GOVERNMENT: INSTITUTIONS AND POLICIES, 15th Edition combine excellent scholarship with practical examples and insight to create a text that is a clear and approachable tool for any student trying to understand the American government. This textbook highlights current issues in American politics focusing on the importance of American governmental institutions, the historical development of governmental procedures and policies, and who governs in the United States and to what ends. AMERICAN GOVERNMENT: INSTITUTIONS AND POLICIES follows a pedagogically proven course of study to maximize student involvement with the material. Highlighted key concepts, concise learning objectives, and features for practical application of contemporary debates on policy dynamics bolsters students’ comprehension.
- New co-author Matthew Levendusky joins the esteemed author team.
- Updates reflect the latest scholarship and current events, including 2015 Supreme Court rulings on gay marriage and health care; 2014 elections and the 2016 presidential race; ongoing debates about the federal budget, immigration, taxes, and other key issues in American politics; and foreign-policy decisions on Iran, Russia, and Syria.
- Reworked Learning Objectives open, organize, and close each chapter, serving as a road map to key concepts to help students assess their comprehension. More visual aids have been added throughout, including infographic inside covers, new figures, and a striking new design.
- Landmark Cases summarize important Supreme Court cases.
- Then and Now openers show historical connections with today’s politics.
- Constitutional Connections raise issues from the constitutional debates that remain relevant today.
- Policy Dynamics present current policy debates from Wilson’s Politics of Policymaking framework.
- How We Compare examine how other nations structure their governments, policies, and the results of these differences.
- What Would You Do? asks students to become the decision maker in a domestic or foreign policy scenario.
- How Things Work highlight key political processes.
1. The Study of American Government.
2. The Constitution.
4. American Political Culture.
5. Civil Liberties.
6. Civil Rights.
Part II: OPINIONS, INTERESTS, AND ORGANIZATIONS.
7. Public Opinion.
8. Political Participation.
9. Political Parties.
10. Elections and Campaigns.
11. Interest Groups.
12. The Media.
Part III: INSTITUTIONS OF GOVERNMENT.
14. The Presidency.
15. The Bureaucracy.
16. The Judiciary.
Part IV: PUBLIC POLICY AND AMERICAN DEMOCRACY
17. Domestic Policy.
18. Economic Policy.
19. Foreign and Military Policy.
20. American Democracy, Then and Now.
"I am very pleased with the quality of the scholarship, writing style, clarity and analysis…. I am also pleased with the manner in which the publisher has packaged and presented the textbook and the ancillary materials. This is as solid and intellectually honest a textbook as one could hope for. It should be the standard by which all others are measured. The emphasis on students using their critical thinking skills to reach conclusions on issues of the day provides a firm foundation for their future growth as citizens of this country. In conclusion, I think that this is the finest American Government textbook available today. The authors combine excellent scholarship, academic rigor, practical examples and insights which makes this text an invaluable aid to any student trying to understand their government."
"I immensely like the writing style and level; it reads like a story, exactly what will keep my students engaged."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. You can also create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.