Request for consultation
Acclaimed for the scholarship of its prominent authors and the clarity of its narrative, AMERICAN GOVERNMENT: INSTITUTIONS AND POLICIES sets the standard for public policy coverage while maintaining focus on three fundamental topics: the importance of institutions of American government; the historical development of governmental procedures, actors, and policies; and who governs in the United States and to what ends. Student involvement in the material is bolstered by proven pedagogical features such as learning objectives framing each chapter, "Constitutional Connections" relating current issues to founding principles, and "How Things Work" boxes that illustrate important concepts. A state-of-the-art media package with online tools makes the learning experience engaging and accessible.
- Updates throughout the text reflect the latest scholarship and current events, including the Supreme Court ruling upholding the health care law; the 2012 elections; budget battles and the sequestration of funds; ongoing debates about immigration, gay marriage, and other key issues in American politics; and foreign-policy decisions on Afghanistan, the Middle East, and North Korea.
- Streamlined and reorganized to introduce the politics of the policy process in Chapter 1, preparing students to evaluate policy dynamics throughout the rest of the text within the narrative and special "Policy Dynamics: Inside/Outside the Box" features. Also, consolidates the policy chapters within a Domestic Policy chapter and a Foreign and Military Policy chapter to better fit the semester format and encourage reading.
- Learning Objective questions open and close each chapter, serving as a road map to the book's key concepts and helping students assess their understanding.
- New "Constitutional Connections" features raise analytical issues from the constitutional debates that remain relevant today, to get students thinking about topics they'll encounter as citizens and as essay questions on their exams.
- New "Policy Dynamics: Inside/Outside the Box" features pose live a policy dynamic and encourage students to think about whether it is "entrepreneurial" or "migrating" from "client" to "interest group" or safely "majoritarian" within AMERICAN GOVERNMENT's classic Politics of Policymaking framework, which is now being introduced in Chapter 1.
- New "What's Your Issue?" features pose a contemporary issue and asks students how or whether the issue directly impacts them and, regardless, what their views on the issue are.
- "How We Compare" features show how other nations around the world structure their governments and policies in relation to the United States and ask students to think about the results of these differences.
- "What Would You Do?" features place students in the role of a decision maker, presenting them with a realistic domestic or foreign policy issue that they can explore in a class discussion or assignment.
- "To Learn More" sections close each chapter with additional resources for study and writing assignments.
- "How Things Work" boxes summarize key concepts and important facts that facilitate students' comprehension of the political process.
- "Landmark Cases" provide brief descriptions of important Supreme Court cases.
- "Now and Then" chapter-opening vignettes offer attention-grabbing looks at a particular topic in the past and in the present, reinforcing the historical emphasis of the text and applying these experiences to the students' lives.
1. The Study of American Government.
2. The Constitution.
4. American Political Culture.
5. Civil Liberties.
6. Civil Rights.
Part II: OPINIONS, INTERESTS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
7. Public Opinion.
8. Political Participation.
9. Political Parties.
10. Elections and Campaigns.
11. Interest Groups.
12. The Media.
Part III: INSTITUTIONS OF GOVERNMENT.
14. The Presidency.
15. The Bureaucracy.
16. The Judiciary.
Part IV: PUBLIC POLICY AND AMERICAN DEMOCRACY
17. Domestic Policy
18. Economic Policy
19. Foreign Policy
20. American Democracy, Then and Now.
"I am very pleased with the quality of the scholarship, writing style, clarity and analysis exhibited by the work of Drs. Wilson, DiIulio, and Bose. I am also pleased with the manner in which the publisher has packaged and presented the textbook and the ancillary materials. This is as solid and intellectually honest a textbook as one could hope for. It should be the standard by which all others are measured. The emphasis on students using their critical thinking skills to reach conclusions on issues of the day provides a firm foundation for their future growth as citizens of this country. In conclusion, I think that this is the finest American Government textbook available today. The authors combine excellent scholarship, academic rigor, practical examples and insights which makes this text an invaluable aid to any student trying to understand their government." - Junius Koonce, Edgecombe Community College
"Policy as an output of government gets a better showing in this text than in most." - Virgil H. Davis, Pellissippi State Community College
"I immensely like the writing style and level; it reads like a story, exactly what will keep my students engaged." =- Philip Aka, Chicago State University
"What attracts me most about your text is the compelling balance it achieves between style and substance." - Ethan Fishman, University of South Alabama
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. You can also create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.