Request for consultation
Current, comprehensive, and designed to maximize clarity of the concepts students need to know, longtime best seller ADVANCED NUTRITION AND HUMAN METABOLISM, SIXTH EDITION delivers its signature quality content in a student-friendly presentation. This respected market leader is accessible, with relevant examples, illustrations, applications, tables, and figures to emphasize key concepts. The authors have thoroughly updated the art for this edition by adding several new figures and improving accuracy and clarity of the existing ones. This text continues to set the standard through the authors' ability to clearly and accurately explain even the most complex metabolic processes and concepts. It's the only book written for undergraduates that consistently stays at that level. Providing thorough and detailed coverage, the text equips students with a solid understanding of digestion, absorption, and metabolism of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. It covers the biochemistry of vitamins, minerals, and energy nutrients. It also examines the structure and function of water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins and their regulatory role in metabolism, looks at electrolyte and fluid balance, and covers the role of nutrition in the development or exacerbation of chronic disease. With ADVANCED NUTRITION AND HUMAN METABOLISM, SIXTH EDITION, students will be well prepared to continue their studies in the field of nutrition.
- Section III has been reorganized to integrate coverage of electrolytes with the discussion of fluid balance.
- Research methodologies are now discussed in context within the nutrient chapters.
- New Perspective features on high-fructose corn syrup, prebiotics, metabolic syndrome, and evaluation of nutrition information are included.
- Several new figures depicting important concepts such as GLUT4 membrane trafficking pathways, PUFA biosynthesis, and insulin receptor function have been added.
- Existing illustrations have been modified to more clearly and accurately represent important structures and processes.
- All chapters have been updated with the latest research findings, and citations and suggestions for further reading have been likewise updated.
- The discussion of protein (Chapter 6) has been reorganized to increase readability.
- The quality of the text overall has been improved through elimination of errors and clearer explanations of difficult concepts.
- A CourseMate website with Engagement Tracker will be available for this edition.
- Presenting topics to students in a systematic, logical manner, the text's reader-friendly cells-to-systems approach focuses on normal nutrition and physiological function in humans.
- Helping students focus on critical concepts, each chapter begins with an outline of the chapter's content and ends with a chapter Summary, References Cited, Suggested Reading, and related Web Sites for extended resources. The text also includes a thorough index and glossary.
- Figures and tables are included throughout each chapter--on almost every page--to present key concepts discussed in the text and to provide a more visual reference for the material.
- Piquing the interest of students, cutting-edge "Perspectives" at the end of each chapter elaborate on nutritional biochemistry topics with the latest research available.
- Resources such as a Power Lecture CD-ROM and test bank support instructors.
1. The Cell: A Microcosm of Life.
2. The Digestive System: Mechanism for Nourishing the Body.
SECTION II: MACRONUTRIENTS AND THEIR METABOLISM.
7. Integration and Regulation of Metabolism and the Impact of Exercise and Sport.
8. Body Composition, Energy Expenditure, and Energy Balance.
SECTION III: THE REGULATORY NUTRIENTS.
9. The Water-Soluble Vitamins.
10. The Fat-Soluble Vitamins.
11. Major Minerals.
12. Water and Electrolytes.
13. Essential Trace and Ultratrace Minerals.
14. Nonessential Trace and Ultratrace Minerals.
"The Gropper book fulfills my needs for a concise compilation of the biochemistry of nutrition. Some of the diagrams are outstanding and really convey the important aspects of the pathways being illustrated."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.