Request for consultation
ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING, 7E, is the most comprehensive learning package available for front-office medical assisting, featuring step-by-step procedures for job skills and the development of critical thinking through real-life scenarios. This proven package includes in-depth coverage of essential administrative competencies including professional and career responsibilities, interpersonal communications, records management, written communications, financial administration, and managing the office. Updated to reflect the latest accreditation and certification standards, this robust resource also features new or updated content in every chapter, including the latest requirements for skill competency, technology, insurance regulations and health care reform, and legal compliance essential for medical assistants to succeed as 21st-century allied health professionals.
- Extensive, up-to-date coverage of Health Care Reform and its impact on medical assisting, including information on the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, state insurance exchanges, HITECH, EHR incentive programs, and other new regulations and programs.
- Extensive new and updated material throughout the text provides current information on essential topics such as electronic medical records, emergency preparedness, office safety, patient-centered medical home, concierge medicine.
- New Chapter 17, Procedural and Diagnostic Coding, includes in-depth instructions for coding with ICD-10-CM, to give students giving exposure to the latest coding standards.
- New Chapter 20, Summary of Future Health Care Trends, addresses global, cultural, environmental, political, and socioeconomic influences on health care, as well as future trends and goals to improve health care internationally.
- Bonus Chapter 21, Seeking a Position as an Administrative Medical Assistant, is available online on the Premium Website at www.cengagebrain.com.
- Information on CAAHEP and ABHES competencies has been expanded and updated, and the index now lists key reference terms used by these agencies, as well as terms included in the CMA, RMA, and CMAS exam outlines, making it easy to locate competency-related material.
- Review questions in each chapter mimic the kinds of questions featured on certification exams, and relevant CMA(AAMA), RMA(AMT), and CMAS(AMT) competencies are listed for each chapter, enabling students to prepare for success as they seek professional certification.
- More than 80 step-by-step procedures supporting over 100 essential job skills, all correlated to ABHES and CAAHEP competency standards, to help students develop their abilities while preparing for certification success.
- Icons give quick reference to customer service applications, Health Care Reform, patient education, legal responsibilities, and compliance issues.
- Stop and Think case scenarios apply chapter material to real-world applications, and help develop students' critical thinking skills.
1. A Career As an Administrative Medical Assistant.
2. The Health Care Environment: Past, Present, and Future.
3. Medicolegal and Ethical Responsibilities.
Part II: INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS.
4. The Art of Communication.
5. Receptionist and the Medical Office Environment.
6. Telephone Procedures.
Part III: RECORDS MANAGEMENT.
8. Filing Procedures.
9. Medical Records.
10. Drug and Prescription Records.
Part IV: WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS.
11. Written Correspondence.
12. Processing Mail and Telecommunications.
Part V: FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATION.
13. Fees, Credit, and Collection.
16. Health Insurance Systems and Claim Submission.
17. Procedural and Diagnostic Coding.
Part VI: MANAGING THE OFFICE.
18. Office Managerial Responsibilities.
19. Financial Management of the Medical Practice.
Part VII: EMPLOYMENT.
20. Summary of Future Health Care Trends.
21. Seeking a Position as An Administrative Medical Assistant (Internet only).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations that coordinate with the text, an instructor’s manual, test and review questions, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant or deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Designed to help readers retain key chapter content, this resource includes chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and problems in multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false formats.
Designed to help you retain key chapter content, this resource includes chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and problems in multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false formats.