Request for consultation
Have a specific question or not sure where to start? Fill out the form below and we'll put you in touch with our best rockstar consultant to answer your questions
This two volume series introduces the fascinating story of philosophy in a lucid, readable style students enjoy reading. Incorporating the most current scholarship, Matson integrates philosophy into the scientific, political, religious, and social context of different periods. The two volumes can be used as a core text or as a supplement to primary source readings.
2. The Milesians.
3. Pythagoras and Xenophanes.
5. The Eleatics.
8. Leucippus and Democritus.
Part II: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle.
9. Intellectual Life in Athens.
11. The Life of Plato.
12. The Theory of Ideas.
13. Plato's Politics.
14. Plato on the Human Good.
15. Life of Aristotle.
16. Aristotle's Philosophy of Nature.
17. Aristotle on the Structure of Science.
18. Aristotle's Ethics.
19. Aristotle's Politics.
Part III: Greek Philosophy After Aristotle.
20. The Hellenistic Era.
23. Greek Skeptical Philosophies.
24. Plotinus and Neo-Platonism.
Part IV: Philosophy in the Christian Era.
25. The Christian Revolution.
26. St. Augustine.
27. The Dark Ages.
28. Early Scholastic Philosophy.
29. The Aristotelian Revival.
30. St. Thomas Aquinas.
31. The Later Scholastics.