Request for consultation
Equip current and future user-support professionals with the critical people skills and exceptional technical knowledge necessary to provide outstanding support with Beisse's A GUIDE TO COMPUTER USER SUPPORT FOR HELP DESK AND SUPPORT SPECIALISTS, 5E. This useful guide focuses on the informational resources and technical tools students need most to function effectively in a support position. Readers develop the skills to handle troubleshooting and problem solving, successfully communicate with clients, determine a client's specific needs, and train end-users, as well as handle budgeting and other management priorities. Clear, balanced coverage in this edition highlights the latest trends and developments, from Web and e-mail-based support to assistance with Windows® 7 and cloud computing. Engaging special features, such as Tips and On the Web Pointers, provide important insights, while new Discussion Questions and Case Projects encourage active participation in the learning process. Leading professional software HelpSTAR® and Microsoft® Office Project Professional 2010 accompany Beisse's A GUIDE TO COMPUTER USER SUPPORT FOR HELP DESK AND SUPPORT SPECIALISTS, 5E to reinforce the knowledge and skills your students need for success in today's user-support positions.
- NEW COVERAGE ADDRESSES AREAS OF EMERGING IMPORTANCE, INCLUDING CLOUD COMPUTING AND THE UTILITY SOFTWARE TOOLKIT. Your students will leave your course prepared to handle the latest developments in software and hardware support as they explore cloud computing, the utility software toolkit, and other recent advances in the field.
- UPDATES THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION REFLECT THE LATEST IN SUPPORT INDUSTRY TRENDS. New coverage demonstrates how to maximize today's methods for computer user support, including use of Web and e-mail-based support.
- NEW CASE PROJECTS DEMONSTRATES HOW SPECIFIC CHAPTER CONCEPTS WORK TOGETHER TO PROVIDE OVERALL EFFECTIVE SUPPORT. New Case Projects provides hands-on opportunities for students to see how the concepts and skills presented in each chapter impact computer user productivity and success throughout an organization.
- INCREASED COVERAGE OF BUDGETING AND OTHER HELP DESK MANAGEMENT CONCEPTS BETTER PREPARE STUDENTS FOR TODAY'S BUSINESS CHALLENGES. In addition to traditional user-support topics, this edition increases an emphasis on budgeting and other high-level management concepts to prepare students to move into leadership positions with confidence.
- NEW COVERAGE PREPARES STUDENTS TO SUPPORT WINDOWS® 7. Your students perfect the skills necessary to support Windows® 7 while still reviewing the key information necessary to provide solid support for Windows® XP and Windows ®Vista.
- PRACTICAL, STRAIGHTFORWARD APPROACH TO TECHNICAL ISSUES HELPS STUDENTS BUILD CRITICAL SKILLS WITH CONFIDENCE. The author's technical practicality and straightforward tone helps students strengthen today's most critical skills, including decision making, successfully communicating with a client, determining a client's specific needs, and writing for the end-user.
- COMPELLING ROLE-PLAYING SCENARIOS SPUR DYNAMIC CLASS DISCUSSION. Now you can put your students into actual, challenging customer support situations as this book's role-playing scenarios illustrate both strong and weak examples of customer service situations.
- NUMEROUS CASE STUDIES ILLUSTRATE TROUBLESHOOTING AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS AT WORK IN REAL SITUATIONS. Abundant Case Studies drawn from actual incidences demonstrate how to most effectively apply troubleshooting and problem solving skills that students are learning to real business and support situations.
- PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE ENABLES HANDS-ON, REAL BUSINESS PRACTICE. This edition includes an academic version of the leading HelpSTAR® Help Desk software for help desk, workflow and business process management. All new books also include a trial version of Microsoft® Office Project Professional 2010, giving students practice using this powerful tool to efficiently manage all steps in the development of products and programs, as well as team collaboration.
2. Customer Service Skills for User Support Agents.
3. Writing for End Users.
4. Skills for Troubleshooting Computer Problems.
5. Common Support Problems.
6. Help Desk Operation.
7. User Support Management.
8. Product Evaluation Strategies and Support Standards.
9. User Needs Assessment Projects.
10. Installing and Managing end-User Computers.
11. Training Computer Users.
12. A User Support Utility Tool Kit.
A. Answers to Check Your Understanding.
B. HelpSTAR Student Edition.
C. User Support Presentations and Meetings.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.