Request for consultation
Have a specific question or not sure where to start? Fill out the form below and we'll put you in touch with our best rockstar consultant to answer your questions
Equip current and future user-support professionals with the critical people skills and exceptional technical abilities necessary to provide outstanding support with Fred Beisse’s A GUIDE TO COMPUTER USER SUPPORT FOR HELP DESK AND SUPPORT SPECIALISTS, 6E. This useful guide focuses on the information resources and technical tools students need most to function effectively in a support position. Students develop the skills to handle troubleshooting and problem solving, successfully communicate with clients, determine a client's specific technology needs, train end-users, and handle budgeting and other management priorities. Clear, balanced coverage in this fully revised new edition highlights the latest trends and developments, from Web and email-based support to new features in Microsoft Windows, cloud computing, and ethical challenges. Engaging special features such as Tips, role-playing scenarios, and On the Web Pointers provide important insights, while Discussion Questions and Case Projects encourage active participation in the learning process.
- A new section on ethical challenges in help desk work provides readers with a realistic view of an important and challenging aspect of employment in information technology.
- New examples illustrate the growing importance of tablet PCs and mobile technology in user support.
- Expanded coverage of ITIL guidelines illustrates how best practices are implemented in information technology.
- A new section on conflict resolution highlights the importance of working effectively on a project team as well as with difficult users.
- Examples of the kinds of questions asked on certification exams helps readers prepare to meet the expectations of exam providers.
- A new help desk software tool, LBE Desktop Helpdesk, is featured, including an appendix with hands-on activities using the software.
- PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE ENABLES HANDS-ON, REAL BUSINESS PRACTICE. This edition incorporates freely downloadable versions of LBE Helpdesk software and Microsoft® Office Project Professional 2010.
- PRACTICAL, STRAIGHTFORWARD APPROACH TO TECHNICAL ISSUES HELPS STUDENTS BUILD CRITICAL SKILLS WITH CONFIDENCE. The book’s technical practicality and straightforward tone help students build and strengthen today’s most critical skills, from decision making and successfully communicating with a client to determining a client's specific needs, writing for the end-user, and handling ethical challenges.
- COMPELLING ROLE-PLAYING SCENARIOS SPUR DYNAMIC CLASS DISCUSSION. Now you can put your students into actual, challenging customer support situations, as the book’s role-playing scenarios illustrate both strong and weak examples of customer service situations.
- NUMEROUS CASE STUDIES ILLUSTRATE TROUBLESHOOTING AND PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS AT WORK IN REAL SITUATIONS. A wide variety of Case Studies drawn from actual incidences demonstrate how to most effectively apply troubleshooting and problem-solving skills to real business and support situations.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Computer User Support.
Chapter 2: Customer Service Skills for User Support Agents.
Chapter 3: Writing for End Users.
Chapter 4: Skills for Troubleshooting Technology Problems.
Chapter 5: Common Support Problems.
Chapter 6: Help Desk Operation.
Chapter 7: User Support Management.
Chapter 8: Product Evaluation Strategies and Support Standard.
Chapter 9: End-User Needs Assessment Projects.
Chapter 10: Installing and Managing End-User Technology.
Chapter 11: Technology Training for Users.
Chapter 12: A User Support Utility Tool Kit.
Appendix A: Answers to Check Your Understanding Questions.
Appendix B: LBE Helpdesk Evaluation Edition.
Appendix C: User Support Presentations and Meetings.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Guide
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access