Request for consultation
Have a specific question or not sure where to start? Fill out the form below and we'll put you in touch with our best rockstar consultant to answer your questions
A FIRST COURSE IN DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS WITH MODELING APPLICATIONS, 10th Edition strikes a balance between the analytical, qualitative, and quantitative approaches to the study of differential equations. This proven and accessible text speaks to beginning engineering and math students through a wealth of pedagogical aids, including an abundance of examples, explanations, "Remarks" boxes, definitions, and group projects. Written in a straightforward, readable, and helpful style, this book provides a thorough treatment of boundary-value problems and partial differential equations.
- Exercises in this edition have been updated to better test and challenge students. Revisions are based on reviewer and user input, as well as the author's understanding of the course goals.
- Exclusively from Cengage Learning, Enhanced WebAssign® now offers an extensive online program for Zill, A First Course in Differential Equations with Modeling Applications, 10th Edition. EWA is the most widely used homework system in higher education. Available for this title, EWA allows you to assign, collect, grade, and record assignments via the web. This proven homework system includes links to textbook sections, video examples, and problem specific tutorials. EWA is more than a homework system - it is a complete learning system for students.
- Chapter 6 now starts with a new section on the review of power series.
- This edition contains an optional section on Green's functions in Chapter 4 and for those who have extra time in their course to consider this elegant application of variation of parameters in the solution of initial-value and boundary-value problems.
- New projects have been added to the text to show how the concepts of Differential Equations will apply to students' intended careers.
- The four-color design adds depth of meaning to all of the graphics, particularly three-dimensional pieces and visuals that involve multiple curves in a graph. The author directed the creation of each piece of art to ensure that it is as mathematically correct as the text.
- Extended homework problems at the end of selected section exercises were submitted and classroom-tested by members of the teaching math community.
- The development of material in this text progresses intuitively, and explanations are clear and concise. Exercises reinforce and build on chapter content.
- This text guides students through material necessary to progress to the next level of study; its clear presentation and mathematical precision make it an excellent reference tool in future courses.
- While this text is time-tested and widely accepted, it has remained current with the addition of new exercises, such features as "Contributed Problems," and the enhanced four-color presentation.
Definitions and Terminology. Initial-Value Problems. Differential Equations as Mathematical Models. Chapter 1 in Review.
2. FIRST-ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Solution Curves Without a Solution. Separable Variables. Linear Equations. Exact Equations and Integrating Factors. Solutions by Substitutions. A Numerical Method. Chapter 2 in Review.
3. MODELING WITH FIRST-ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Linear Models. Nonlinear Models. Modeling with Systems of First-Order Differential Equations. Chapter 3 in Review.
4. HIGHER-ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Preliminary Theory-Linear Equations. Reduction of Order. Homogeneous Linear Equations with Constant Coefficients. Undetermined Coefficients-Superposition Approach. Undetermined Coefficients-Annihilator Approach. Variation of Parameters. Cauchy-Euler Equation. Solving Systems of Linear Differential Equations by Elimination. Nonlinear Differential Equations. Chapter 4 in Review.
5. MODELING WITH HIGHER-ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Linear Models: Initial-Value Problems. Linear Models: Boundary-Value Problems. Nonlinear Models. Chapter 5 in Review.
6. SERIES SOLUTIONS OF LINEAR EQUATIONS.
Review of Power Series Solutions About Ordinary Points. Solutions About Singular Points. Special Functions. Chapter 6 in Review.
7. LAPLACE TRANSFORM.
Definition of the Laplace Transform. Inverse Transform and Transforms of Derivatives. Operational Properties I. Operational Properties II. Dirac Delta Function. Systems of Linear Differential Equations. Chapter 7 in Review.
8. SYSTEMS OF LINEAR FIRST-ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Preliminary Theory. Homogeneous Linear Systems. Nonhomogeneous Linear Systems. Matrix Exponential. Chapter 8 in Review.
9. NUMERICAL SOLUTIONS OF ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Euler Methods. Runge-Kutta Methods. Multistep Methods. Higher-Order Equations and Systems. Second-Order Boundary-Value Problems. Chapter 9 in Review.
Appendix I: Gamma Function.
Appendix II: Matrices.
Appendix III: Laplace Transforms.
Answers for Selected Odd-Numbered Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual contains fully worked-out solutions to select odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Instructor's Solutions Manual
This time-saving manual provides complete solutions to all the problems in the text.
Student Solutions Manual
Go beyond the answers -- see what it takes to get there and improve your grade! This manual provides worked-out, step-by-step solutions to select odd-numbered problems in the text, giving you the information you need to truly understand how these problems are solved. Each section begins with a list of key terms and concepts. The solutions sections also include hints and examples to guide you to greater understanding.