Request for consultation
100% STUDENT SUCCESS, a text in the 100% Success Series, promotes student achievement by addressing practical student tasks such as note-taking and reading strategies, while encouraging students to develop skills like critical thinking, goal-setting, time management, and balancing life responsibilities with school-all skills that will serve them well beyond college. The third edition of 100% STUDENT SUCCESS retains important features such as self-assessment questions and Apply It! exercises, and now features earlier presentation of communication skills, more on avoiding plagiarism, and the pluses and minuses of using social media.
- NEW “Be in the Know” feature in every chapter provides crucial information needed by students, such as how to get the most out of every class, how to be an effective team member in school or on the job, and more.
- NEW “Critical Thinking Questions” in the margin (along with “Self-Assessment Questions”) encourage students to review and reflect on what they have just learned.
- NEW section in Chapter 5 (Communication Skills for Student Success), “Social Networking and Social Media,” has been added to discuss the positives and negatives of this form of communication.
- NEW sections in Chapter 7 (Information Literacy for the 21st Century), “Defining Digital Literacy,” added to address the relationship between digital literacy and information literacy, and “Working with Your Librarian,” added to stress the importance of the librarian as the need for information moves into the digital age.
- NEW expanded coverage of strategies for avoiding plagiarism in Chapter 8 (Legal and Ethical Issues in the Academic Environment).
- NEW sections in Chapter 9 (Financial Considerations for School Success) include “Seeking Financial Advice,” “Saving While in College,” and “Saving for the Future.”
- In Chapter 10 (Nutrition and Fitness Strategies for the Successful Student), the new “MyPlate” federal nutritional recommendations replace “MyPyramid.”
- “Case in Point” features now appear in the middle (rather than the beginning) of each chapter, and illustrate an issue commonly faced by college students; questions that follow each scenario encourage critical thinking and analysis.
- A new chapter organization and part-openers divide the text into four parts, to reflect common learning areas: “Starting Out,” which includes strategies for success as well as common concerns of adult college students; “Shaping and Communicating Your Ideas,” which includes the communication chapter (formerly Chapter 10) as well as learning strategies and critical thinking and problem solving; “Harnessing Information,” which includes information literacy for the 21st century as well as legal and ethical concerns for college students (including avoiding plagiarism); and “Success Strategies for Personal Well-Being,” which includes coverage of financial and health concerns.
- Chapter-opening Learning Objectives outline the information in each chapter and help students identify key chapter concepts that they are expected to learn.
- “Apply It!” activities give students an immediate opportunity to apply chapter concepts to their own learning through a hands-on activity, which can be an individual activity, a group work project, or an activity based on the Internet.
- “Success Steps” throughout the text provide a brief list of steps towards achieving various goals, offered as a summary of each process.
- At the end of each chapter, a brief Chapter Summary is followed by a list of Points to Keep in Mind, to review key chapter concepts.
- The “Check Your Understanding” feature refers students to the website for self-assessment and goal-setting practice.
- Throughout the text, students are encouraged to create documents that can be saved to a Learning Portfolio, and those suggestions are reinforced in the chapter-ending list of “Suggested Items for Learning Portfolio.” A student’s Learning Portfolio can include self-assessments, completed assignments, or whatever the student may feel is helpful for continued learning.
1. Strategies for College Success.
Strategies for College Success: An Overview. The Importance of Education.
Self-Reflection. Goal Setting. Getting the Most Out of Every Class. Organization.
2. Human Behavior.
The Importance of Understanding Human Behavior: An Overview. Influences on Human Behavior. Self-Image and Self-Esteem: An Overview. Effects of Success and Failure on Achievement.
3. Common Concerns of the Adult College Student.
“Adult” and “Traditional Age” Students. The Great Balancing Act.
Barriers and Deterrents Facing Adult Students. Methods for Overcoming Deterrents. Professionalism and Preparing for the Workplace.
Part II: SHAPING AND COMMUNICATING YOUR IDEAS.
4. Learning Strategies: Functions of the Brain in Learning.
Learning Styles and Type Preferences. Active Learning. Teamwork in the Classroom. Successful Skills for Learning.
5. Communication Skills for Student Success.
Importance of Communication: An Overview. Effective Verbal Communication. Effective Written Communication. Tools to Assist with Writing.
Technology and Written Communication.
6. Critical Thinking And Problem Solving.
Critical and Creative Thinking. Problem Solving. Decision Making.
Personal Traits and Decision-Making Skills. Using Professional Resources.
Part III: HARNESSING INFORMATION.
7. Information Literacy for The 21st Century.
Introduction to Information Literacy in the Digital Age.
Defining Digital Literacy. Conducting Research: Strategies and Issues.
The Internet: Broadening the Resource Pool.
Library Resources: The Basics.
8. Legal and Ethical Issues in the Academic Environment.
Legal and Ethical Issues: Overview. Legal Issues: Harassment and Discrimination. Sexual Harassment. Ethical Issues: Academic Honesty. Cheating. Plagiarism. Conflict Resolution.
Part IV: SUCCESS STRATEGIES FOR PERSONAL WELL-BEING.
9. Financial Considerations for School Success.
Finances and College. Financial Resources for College.
Major Purchases and Buying Insurance. Saving for the Future.
10. Nutrition and Fitness Strategies for the Successful Student.
Nutrition and Fitness: An Overview. Nutrition: A Key Factor in Health and Energy Level. Sleep: An Essential Activity for the Successful Student.
Exercise: Strategies for Avoiding Fatigue and Optimizing Energy.
“The strengths of this book [include that it is] cost effective, concise, [and includes] the most relevant information.”
“We have used 100% Student Success since the program started a year ago. We appreciate that the textbook covers a wide range of topics and that it is in language that students can understand and apply.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.