Request for consultation
100% JOB SEARCH SUCCESS, a text in the 100% Success Series, is intended to help students take an organized approach to the process of looking for a job, and alerts them to the latest tools and developments in the job-search process. The third edition of 100% JOB SEARCH SUCCESS provides practical information on networking, including electronic networking via LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, as well as traditional networking methods such as career fairs and professional organizations. Three chapters on interviewing cover preparation for the interview, with suggested questions and possible responses, handling the interview itself in a professional manner, and following up appropriately. A new capstone chapter, Professionalism in the Workplace, discusses issues that affect adult learners, and how to demonstrate professionalism on the job.
- A NEW chapter-opening feature, “100% Success Story,” provides an example of someone who achieved success using one of the techniques discussed in the chapter.
- NEW organization highlights networking and resume-writing, and provides a new three-chapter section on the interview process.
- NEW coverage in Chapter 4, Networking, and Self-Promotion, of electronic tools such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
- NEW content on “personal branding” and strategies for creating a personal brand.
- NEW capstone Chapter 9, Professionalism in the Workplace, covers issues affecting adult learners, as well as how to demonstrate professionalism on the job.
- EXPANDED coverage of the interview process, with three chapters (Chapters 6-8) that include dressing for the interview, different interview situations such as phone or mealtime interviews, sample interview questions and how to handle them, and how to follow up after the interview.
- COVERAGE of considerations for the adult learner, who may be entering or re-entering the workforce, in Chapter 9.
- “Success Steps” provide a condensed list of steps for each technique that students can take away.
- “Case in Point” scenarios discuss how actual students have applied chapter techniques or concepts.
- End-of-chapter features include Chapter Summary, Points to Keep in Mind (bulleted highlights from the text), Check Your Understanding (with a suggested link to the student website), and Suggested Items for the Learning Portfolio, to encourage students to keep adding to their job-search resources.
- Learning Objectives, like those provided on course syllabi, provide students with an outline of what they should be learning from the chapter.
- “Self-Assessment Questions” and “Critical Thinking Questions” help students review what they have just read and consider how the information applies to their own situation.
- “Apply It!” features within every chapter provide specific directions for implementing each strategy described in the chapter.
1. Industry and Job Research.
Understanding Your Industry and Your Place Within It. Sources for Industry Research. Staying Current and Updated.
2. Assessing and Developing Skills for the Workplace.
Setting Goals for Your Professional Pursuit. Know Yourself. Gaining Experience: The Overview.
Part II: TOOLS FOR THE JOB SEARCH.
3. Networking and Self-Promotion.
Traditional Networking. Steps in the Traditional Networking Process. Social Networking. Social Networking Opportunities. Personal Branding. Other Networking Techniques.
4. Resume and Cover Letter Development.
Purpose of the Resume. Types of Resumes. Resume Formats. Guidelines to Creating a Resume. Strategies for Using E-Resumes. Cover Letters. Other Types of Correspondence. References and Recommendations.
5. Developing a Professional Portfolio.
Purposes of Professional Portfolios. Types of Portfolios. Portfolio Formats. Contents of the Portfolio. Selecting Artifacts. Organizing the Portfolio. Evaluating the Portfolio.
6. Professionalism in the Job Search.
Professional Socialization. The Importance of Etiquette in the Job Search. Job Search Etiquette. Etiquette in Special Interview Situations. First Impressions. Dressing for the Interview. Building a Professional Wardrobe on a Budget.
Part III: THE ART OF THE INTERVIEW.
7. Successful Interviewing.
Preparing for the Interview. Strategies for Successful Interviewing. Types of Interviews. Types of Interview Questions. Interview Follow-Up.
8. After The Interview.
Negotiation. Dealing with Rejection.
9. Professionalism In The Workplace.
Issues Surrounding Adult Learners. Demonstrating Professionalism. The Importance of Lifelong Learning.
“This is a great book and it works well for our students and our instructors ... The key strengths [are] that it is easy to use, [and] the way the book is written is in a simple effective manner that meets the population of students we have.”
“We have been using the text for about 4 years. The text is very straightforward and easy for the students to understand.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download resources and course support materials.