When you visit cengage.com or send emails to us, you are communicating with us electronically. You consent to receive communications from us electronically. We will communicate with you by email or by posting notices on this site. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing.
All content provided on this site is owned by or licensed to Cengage and/or its affiliates (the "CL Content") and protected by United States and international copyright laws. Cengage and its licensors retain all proprietary rights to the CL Content. The CL Content may not be reproduced, transmitted, displayed or distributed without the prior written consent of Cengage.
All trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos and graphics ("Marks") indicated on this site are registered trademarks of Cengage, its affiliates and/or licensors, in the United States and other countries. You may not make any use of Cengage's Marks without the prior written consent of Cengage. Cengage grants you a limited license to access and make personal noncommercial use of this site, subject to the Terms. This site and any portion hereof may not be reproduced, duplicated, displayed, copied, downloaded, sold, resold, visited or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without the express written consent of Cengage. You may not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout and form) of Cengage, its affiliates and/or licensors without the express written consent of Cengage. You may not use any meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing Cengage's name or Marks without the express written consent of Cengage. Any unauthorized use terminates the license granted by Cengage.
Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitation of Liability
This site is provided by Cengage on an "as is" and "as available" basis. Cengage makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this site, or the information, content or materials included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Cengage disclaims all warranties, express and implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Cengage will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of this site, including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, incidental, consequential and punitive damages. These Terms are personal to you and you may not assign your rights or obligations to anyone. If any provision of these Terms is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, the remaining provisions will continue in full force and effect. These Terms, all intellectual property issues and your rights and obligations shall be governed by the laws of the United States of America and the State of New York governing contracts wholly entered into and wholly performed within the State of New York. Any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be resolved in the state or federal courts of New York County, New York, and each party hereto waives any objection to venue and hereby submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts.
Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) Cengage Compliance Information
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), effective July 1, 2010, contains requirements for publishers regarding transparency of information to prospective adopters at institutions of higher education (including both 2-year/4-year and career schools) and the availability of bundle components.
Cengage worked for over a year to ensure complete and timely compliance with HEOA. These efforts have included reviewing and developing processes and practices involving Marketing, Editorial, Sales, Finance and Production. Here are the details:
HEOA requires publishers to provide prospective post-secondary adopters “at the time of the adoption discussion” with information regarding the following:
- Net and list prices
- Substantial changes to the content of a new edition
- Alternate formats
- Previous copyright years (to serve as an indicator of when the next edition might be published)
Cengage is loading all of the required information onto our titles’ online product pages. This provides prospective adopters with direct access to all of the information centrally in a convenient location with which they are already familiar.
We will now provide faculty with direct access to this information through messaging integrated into the following customer touchpoints which represent the various initial interactions we have with prospective adopters:
- Review copies: Packing slips that accompany review copies will now refer faculty to the online product pages. In addition, the book’s preface contains detailed content changes to new editions and the title page now includes copyright years for up to three previous editions.
- Marketing: All title-specific marketing emails will now link faculty to the title’s product page or to the Cengage website with direction to find the required information by accessing the product pages in which they are interested.
- Printed title-specific collateral: Collateral will now contain a reference to the availability of the required information on the online product pages and advise faculty to access those in their interest area.
- Cengage Website: More and more instructors come to the Cengage site to find information on titles in their interest areas. They will now find the required information loaded onto the product pages.
- Cengage Sales Representative pre-pub visits: If Cengage Sales Representatives contact instructors before any other touchpoint has occurred (usually in a pre-selling situation), they can initiate a templated faculty email out of the Cengage Sales Representative Database that will advise instructors of the availability of the required information on the online product pages.
This is the language that Cengage employs to direct prospective adopters to the HEOA-mandated information:
For valuable information on pricing, previous editions and alternate formats, visit www.cengage.com and search by ISBN, author, title, or keyword for materials in your area.
Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement
Note: the following information is provided exclusively for notifying the service providers referenced below that your copyrighted material might have been infringed. All other inquiries, such as requests for technical assistance, will not receive a response through this process.
Service Provider(s): Cengage, Inc.
Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act,Title 17, United States Code, Section 512(c), to be effective, written notification ("Notification") of claimed copyright infringement must be submitted to the following Agent Designated to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement:
William A. Sampson
27500 Drake Road
Farmington Hills, MI 48331
To be effective, the Notification must include the following:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
© 2017 Cengage, Inc. All rights reserved.
Republication, reproduction or redistribution of Cengage, Inc. ("Cengage") content, including by framing or similar means, is prohibited without the prior written consent of Cengage. To request permission to photocopy, duplicate, republish or otherwise reuse Cengage material, or for efiles for students with disabilities, go to www.cengage.com/permissions