Request for consultation
UNDERSTANDABLE STATISTICS: CONCEPTS AND METHODS, 12th Edition, is a thorough yet accessible program designed to help students overcome their apprehensions about statistics and to master the subject. The authors provide clear guidance and informal advice while showing students the links between statistics and the world. To reinforce this approach, the book integrates real-life data from a variety of sources, including journals, periodicals, newspapers, and the Internet. The 12th Edition continues to address the importance of developing students' critical-thinking and statistical literacy skills through special features and exercises throughout the text. The P-value method of hypothesis testing is emphasized. The use of graphing calculators, Excel®, Minitab®, Minitab Express™, and SPSS® is covered although not required. This new edition is now supported by WebAssign, the powerful online homework and course management system that uses news videos, interactive visual data, online stats labs and open response concept questions to engage students in learning statistics.
- New copies of the text can be bundled with statistical software such as Minitab Express.
- New examples and exercises were written for the new edition.
- The 12th Edition includes more coded exercises, as well as interactive simulations that allow students to deeply engage with statistical concepts.
- Using Technology instructions have been updated to latest versions, with Minitab Express now included.
- A brief discussion of big data and data science is presented.
- Many chapters now have the sections divided into two parts. For each part there is a brief summary and a list of chapter problems relevant to the part. The parts provide a mid-chapter pause for review, and provide additional flexibility for organizing the course content.
- Extensive technology resources include an algorithmic Test Bank and lecture slides, along with interactive online resources and a market-leading DVD series designed to provide reinforcement for students and support for instructors.
- The "Looking Ahead" feature gives students a taste of forthcoming topics, showing them how the concepts and skills they're reading about will be useful in helping them grasp material covered later.
- The "Critical Thinking" feature provides additional clarification on specific concepts, such as what tests are appropriate for what situations, what assumptions need to be made, what biases may affect the results, and when conclusions are justified.
- The "Interpretation" feature prompts students to interpret their results in the context of a particular application.
- "Critical Thinking" exercises and chapter review problems test students' understanding of statistical methods and their ability to interpret their results.
- "Statistical Literacy Problems" in every section and problem set gauge students’ understanding of terminology, statistical methods, and the appropriate conditions for use of the different processes. "Writing Projects" test both statistical literacy and critical thinking by asking students to express their understanding in words.
- "What Does ... Tell Us?" and "Important Features of a ..." provide brief, just-in time summaries of key concepts.
- “Cumulative Review” problem sets are provided at the end of every three chapters and incorporate material from previous chapters.
- Answers to odd-numbered problems include useful steps to guide students.
- The "Foreshadowing" feature alerts students to how current material will be used in future content. Additional related material to be presented in subsequent Guided Exercises within sections let students work with new concepts. Complete step-by-step solutions appear beside each exercise to give immediate reinforcement.
- WEBASSIGN: UNDERSTANDABLE STATISTICS: CONCEPTS AND METHODS, Twelfth Edition, is fully supported by WebAssign, the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. WebAssign includes new end-of-chapter exercises and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- "Expand Your Knowledge" section problems present additional related material. For instance, the uniform probability distribution and the exponential probability distribution are introduced in the "Expand Your Knowledge" problems section of Chapter 6, "Normal Distributions." Polynomial regression (curvilinear regression) is discussed in the "Expand Your Knowledge" problems section of Chapter 9, "Correlation and Regression."
Introduces the subject, presents random samples and an introduction to experimental design.
2. Organizing Data.
Histograms, graphs, stem-and l-leaf displays.
3. Averages and Variation.
4. Elementary Probability Theory.
5. The Binomial Probability Distribution and Related Topics.
6. Normal Curves and Sampling Distributions.
Part I: Normal Distributions.
Part II: Sampling Distributions and the Normal Approximation to Binomial Distribution.
Part I: Estimating a Single Mean or Single Proportion.
Part II: Estimating the Difference Between Two Means or Two Proportions.
8. Hypothesis Testing.
Part I: Testing a Single Mean or Single Proportion.
Part II: Testing a Difference Between Two Means or Two Proportions.
9. Correlation and Regression.
Part I: Simple Linear Regression.
Part II: Multiple Regression.
10. Chi-Square and F Distributions.
Part I: Inferences Using the Chi-Square Distribution.
Part II: Inferences Using the F Distribution.
11. Nonparametric Statistics.
Appendix includes brief discussion of Bayes' Theorem and Hypergeometric Distribution.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource
This guide contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It provides complete solutions, sample chapter tests and answers in forms A, B and C, a resource of frequently used formulas, and general teaching hints.
Online Tech Guide with Data Sets
Separate technology guides with information and examples for each of four technology tools, including the Texas Instrument graphing calculators, Minitab® software, Microsoft® Excel®, and SPSS® Statistics software. Accessible via the Instructor Companion Website.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, classroom, or wherever you want. Go to login.cengage.com to access via your SSO account.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual
Want to be sure that your answers are correct and that you took the correct steps to arrive at them? This manual contains fully worked-out solutions for all odd-numbered exercises in the text, so you can check your answers and understand how to solve even the toughest problems.