Request for consultation
Designed to prepare readers for a successful career as an automotive service consultant, THE SERVICE CONSULTANT: PRINCIPLES OF SERVICE MANAGEMENT AND OWNERSHIP, Second Edition teaches readers how to maximize profits and improve customer satisfaction in an automotive business. With coverage of task-oriented procedures for day-to-day operations as well as communications, relations, supervision, and customer delivery, this practical text provides readers with an in-depth examination of the multi-faceted responsibilities of an automotive service consultant. In addition, the text content correlates to the ASE tasks for Automotive Service Consultant (C1) in order to help readers better prepare for the ASE certification exam. Furthermore, the second edition contains updated examples, activities, technology, case studies, and visual aids so that readers are exposed to the most up-to-date information in the field.
- A new boxed feature presents case studies to help students master theory.
- Throughout the text, illustrations have been updated and expanded in order to appeal to the visual learner.
- Instructor resources have been expanded to include PowerPoint lecture presentation and ExamView text questions.
- The text content correlates to the ASE tasks for Automotive Service Consultant (C1) in order to help readers better prepare for the ASE certification exam.
- Activities that require readers to interview local service facility managers provide opportunities for establishing important industry contacts for the future.
- Visits to local service facilities are encouraged so that readers can compare content in the book with real-life situations and procedures happening in the industry.
- Careful attention to the sequence of job duties for the service consultant gives readers a clear picture of the types of work and responsibilities that will be expected of them when they enter the workforce.
1. Types of Automotive Service Facilities, Professional Credentials, and Profit.
2. The Role of the Service Consultant, Parts Specialist, and Warranty Administrator.
3. The Team Approach: Business Operations and Repair Order Tracking.
4. Computerized Shop Management Systems.
5. Checking Vehicle and Customer Records.
6. Working with Warranties, Service Contracts, Service Bulletins, and Campaigns/Recalls.
PART II: COMMUNICATIONS: CUSTOMER RELATIONS.
7. Electronic Communications, Websites, and Social Networks.
8. Personal Communication: From the Greeting to the Presentation of the Invoice.
9. Working Out Service Details with Customers.
10. Prioritizing Repair Needs.
11. Closing a Sale.
PART III: COMMUNICATION: CUSTOMER DELIVERY AND FOLLOW UP.
12. Writing for the Technician.
13. Workflow and Efficient Shop Operations.
14. Customer Relations: Sales, Follow-Ups, and Promotions.
PART IV: COMMUNICATION: CUSTOMER DELIVERY AND FOLLOW UP.
15. Assistant Service Manager Duties.
16. A positive Work Environment for Efficient Business Performance.
17. Analysis of Shop Operations and Business Performance.
18. Service Facility Business Start Up and Ownership.
Appendix ASE (C1) Task List: Service Consultant.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website