Request for consultation
This edition of THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY: AMERICAN GOVERNMENT IN GLOBAL POLITICS, THE ESSENTIALS introduces new co-author Deborah Schildkraut to this stellar author team. This best-selling American government text is highly acclaimed for the non-ideological framework it uses to explore three themes: freedom, order, and equality as political values; the majoritarianism versus pluralism debate; and globalization's effect on American politics. Extensively updated, this condensed edition includes new examples, figures, data, and current discussions. The authors include balanced coverage of Obama's historical presidency and coverage and analysis of the 2012 presidential primary campaign and election. Using a systematic, easy to follow approach, chapters and subheadings are numbered and organized by learning outcomes. Students can test their knowledge of learning outcomes using end of chapter "Assessing Your Understanding" questions, and then further reinforce learning with the critical-thinking questions with Aplia. Organized by chapter, Aplia provides students immediate, detailed explanations and helps them come to class better prepared for discussion with assignments that are automatically graded. NEW PREMIUM CONTENT IN MindTap FOR JANUARY 2014: DATA INFOGRAPHICS! Explore current American Government topics in a visually-stimulating way with these beautifully designed, up to date pdfs that simplify new analytical data such as the 2013 government shutdown and the ever-increasing powers of the American president. These NEW Data Infographics are automatically added to this book's MindTap learning path.
- Learning outcomes have been added to each chapter, correlated to each chapter section opener. Learning outcomes are listed at the beginning of each chapter and repeated at the relevant heading in the body of the chapter.
- Each chapter concludes with a self-quiz, “Assessing Your Understanding,” to allow students to test their knowledge and understanding of the chapter material. Questions are organized by section openers in the chapter.
- Aplia icons appear in the marginal column of the chapter text, prompting students to visit Aplia to complete a problem set related to the corresponding chapter content.
- Critical-thinking questions have been added to the boxed features “Politics of Global Change” and “Compared with What?” to allow students to assess their comprehension of the boxed material and see how it relates to the chapter subject matter.
- Coverage and analysis of the 2012 presidential primary campaign and election.
- New and updated material on current events such as the continuing economic crisis, the debate over healthcare reform, and the events of Arab spring, among others.
- Chapter summaries are provided in a bullet-point format and organized by chapter subheadings to facilitate student mastery of each chapter section.
- A balanced look at the Obama presidency.
- The “Politics of Global Change” feature includes updated information on the effect of globalization on American government by exploring how U.S. politics affect the world and vice versa. This gives students an important international perspective for today’s increasingly interconnected world.
- The “Compared with What?” features use a comparative perspective to help students evaluate how our political system works by considering those of other countries. Topics include how the public in other countries regards the war in Iraq and an exploration of which democracies are the most pluralistic.
- This “ESSENTIALS” version of THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY combines the first two chapters of the original text into single opening chapter “Dilemmas of Democracy,” and combines the three policy chapters into a single closing chapter, “Policymaking and the Budget.” Material on Public Opinion, Political Socialization, and the Media have also been combined into a single chapter, as have the chapters covering Political Parties, Campaigns, and Elections.
- THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY: AMERICAN GOVERNMENT IN GLOBAL POLITICS, THE ESSENTIALS can be packaged with Aplia, which offers students automatically graded homework assignments. Organized by chapter, Aplia helps provide students immediate, detailed explanations and helps them come to class better prepared for discussion. For more on Aplia and other media available with this text, click on Supplements.
2. The Constitution.
4. Public Opinion, Political Socialization, and the Media.
5. Participation and Voting.
6. Political Parties, Campaigns, and Elections.
7. Interest Groups.
9. The Presidency.
10. The Bureaucracy.
11. The Courts.
12. Order and Civil Liberties.
13. Equality and Civil Rights.
14. Policymaking and the Budget.
“Strengths: 1. Conceptual framework. 2. COMPLETE coverage. 3. Unbiased, even-handed approach. Clarity of writing. Consistent, continual theme development throughout the text.”
“The most important strength of this book for me is that my students have ranked it higher than any other major American Government text. -The book is not biased one way or another. -It covers all the main subjects in a readable manner and has excellent online resources. -The authors continuously work on improving the text.”
“This book is a very comprehensive, yet readable, text on American Government. It is balanced analytically and has extensive online resources. It has been the number one choice among hundreds of my students who have compared it to other major texts.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture DVD with JoinIn™ Student Response System and ExamView®
An all-in-one multimedia resource for class preparation, presentation, and testing, this DVD includes Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides, a Test Bank in both Microsoft® Word and ExamView® formats, online polling and JoinIn™ clicker questions, an Instructor Manual, and a Resource Integration Guide to help you see where resources align with the text’s content, chapter by chapter. The book-specific slides of lecture outlines, as well as photos, figures, and tables from the text, make it easy for you to assemble lectures for your course, while the media-enhanced slides help bring your lecture to life with audio and video clips, animated learning modules illustrating key concepts, tables, statistical charts, graphs, and photos from the book as well as outside sources. The Test Bank, offered in Microsoft® Word® and ExamView® formats, includes 60+ multiple-choice questions with answers and page references along with 10 essay questions for each chapter. ExamView® features a user-friendly testing environment that allows you to not only publish traditional paper and computer based tests, but also Web-deliverable exams. The Instructor’s Manual includes learning objectives, chapter outlines, summaries, discussion questions, class activities and projects suggestions, tips on integrating media into your class, and suggested readings and Web resources. JoinIn™ offers “clicker” questions covering key concepts, enabling instructors to incorporate student response systems into their classroom lectures. Contact your Cengage representative to receive a copy upon adoption.
CourseMate with American Government NewsWatch Instant Access
Cengage Learning’s Political Science CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study tools, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Use Engagement Tracker to assess student preparation and engagement in the course, and watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the textbook-specific website. An interactive eBook allows students to take notes, highlight, search, and interact with embedded media. Other resources include video activities, animated learning modules, simulations, case studies, interactive quizzes, and timelines. CourseMate now includes American Government NewsWatch, a real-time news and information resource, updated daily, which includes interactive maps, videos, podcasts, and hundreds of articles from leading journals, magazines, and newspapers from the United States and the world. Also included is the KnowNow! American Government Blog, which highlights three current events stories per week and consists of a succinct analysis of the story, multimedia, and discussion-starter questions. Access your course via www.cengage.com/login.
Latino-American Politics Supplement
Authored by Fernando Pinon, this revised and updated thirty-two-page supplement uses real examples to detail politics related to Latino Americans.
CourseMate with American Government NewsWatch Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Latino-American Politics Supplement
Flash Cards Instant Access
Flashcards designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Interactive flashcards include terms and definitions for each chapter. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing with Flash Cards Instant Access
Interactive practice quizzes and flashcards designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Flashcards contain terms and definitions for each chapter. Practice quizzes consist of true/false and multiple choice questions for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, practice quizzes and flashcards are already included.