Request for consultation
Internationally renowned composer William Duckworth explores the fundamentals of music in the Advantage Edition of the best-selling A CREATIVE APPROACH TO MUSIC FUNDAMENTALS, 11th Edition. This creative, reader-friendly text takes diverse student abilities into consideration, covering music fundamentals in 15 concise chapters and 11 enrichment appendices. Duckworth focuses on developing students' skills by offering written and aural exercises that help them learn the basics as well as by giving students the opportunity to apply their knowledge in realistic music situations. The optional CourseMate learning environment includes Music Fundamentals in Action, an interactive online tutorial that provides students with personalized study plans and podcasts from the author. A CREATIVE APPROACH TO MUSIC FUNDAMENTALS, Advantage Edition, 11th Edition offers clear, concise yet comprehensive coverage of all major topics for a music fundamentals course.
- A CREATIVE APPROACH TO MUSIC FUNDAMENTALS, Advantage Edition, 11th Edition offers an Annotated Instructor's Edition with answers to all in-text exercises, as well as an introductory section of teaching tips and additional practice sheets, both with and without answers-all in one location for ease of instructor reference.
- The connection between the eBook, the book's website, and text practice materials is strengthened via web cross-references integrated into the beginning of each chapter.
- The text's Focus on Skills review exercises are now aligned with the online Focus on Fundamentals exercises, which are included in online Music Fundamentals in Action tutorials.
- All pages are three-hole-punched and perforated to facilitate class handouts and assignments.
- Chapter 2, "The Keyboard," is new in this edition.
- Musical selections from popular television programs, advertising, and films, as well as from the classical repertoire, add relevance and depth to the text, maximizing student interest.
- The book includes a variety of music from other cultures, demonstrating the universality of music and appealing to the contemporary student.
- The CourseMate learning environment includes Music Fundamentals in Action, an interactive online tutorial that provides students with diagnostic quizzing and personalized study plans. Music Fundamentals in Action also provides podcasts from author William Duckworth, as well as audio performances and several innovative notation areas that allow students to plot a musical passage and play it back.
- The text presents comprehensive and clear coverage of all major topics for fundamental music courses.
- Music in Action boxes give students the opportunity to create music while learning the fundamentals of rhythm, melody, scales, intervals, and triads in a creative framework.
- A variety of examples, exercises, and creative projects-which emphasize musical skills and concepts equally-are found in the text and online in CourseMate.
1. The Basics of Music.
2. The Keyboard.
3. Rhythm I: Simple Meter.
4. Rhythm II: Compound Meter.
6. Major Scales.
7. Major Key Signatures.
9. Minor Key Signatures.
10. Minor Scales.
11. Pentatonic and Blues Scales.
13. Triads in a Musical Context.
14. Chord Progressions.
15. Writing a Song.
Index to Musical Examples.
I love the Focus on Skills sections. I am able to use them in a variety of ways to reinforce what I am teaching. I really like how you and your team are developing this new edition!
The text is organized well in terms of a steady progression of concepts of study. While it uses musical jargon, it also speaks to the students in a conversational tone and not above their heads. It covers an appropriate amount of material and does not attempt to be something it is not (it is a first-year fundamentals text).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Premium Website Instant Access
Premium Website Instant Access