Request for consultation
This workbook gives art students practical advice on effective ways to make the transition from high school to college. Sixteen exercises provide information on a wide range of topics, including active learning, critique strategies, idea development, and preparing a portfolio. Inspirational Success Strategies interviews provide insight into the day-to-day realities of various art and design professions. Other features include a special section on writing about art and a series of essays on various art and design majors.
- Practical and concise advice is followed by checklists designed to help students build good habits and to take greater responsibility for their own education. Fill-in-the-blank, tear-out pages can easily be submitted to the instructor for review.
- Engaging and accessible, the author speaks directly to students using a lively, informal, and conversational style.
- SUCCESS STRATEGIES interviews with practicing artists and designers provide insight into career possibilities.
- A special section on writing about art provides the bare-bones basics.
- A series of essays on various art and design majors provides an introduction to fields of study.
1. Getting Oriented.
2. Managing Time and Money.
3. Active Listening, Active Learning.
4. Critiques: Giving and Getting Input.
5. Making an Inventory.
6. Developing a Strategy.
7. Reading and Writing about Art.
8. Preparing a Portfolio.
9. Improving Your Performance.
10. Working with an Advisor.
11. Creating Connections.
12. Expanding Ideas.
13. Collaboration and Teamwork.
14. Researching Your Major.
16. Building Your Career.