Request for consultation
This new text takes a global approach to the theory and practice of teaching social studies to young children. Based on the National Standards for Social Studies, this text presents many practical examples for teaching children in actual settings. The text clearly discusses major topical areas such as geography, history, the arts, and multicultural education. Educators will appreciate its literature-based format, which integrates social studies with other subjects.
- Internet resource guide aids in using technology in the classroom
- based on national standards for social studies so curriculum will meet Goals 2000
- personal reflections encourage in-depth learning
- illustrations clarify theories and concepts
- bibliographies of children's books enhance learning
- coverage of Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) incorporated throughout
Chapter 1 The World Children Live In.
Chapter 2 Discovering the Essence of the Social Studies.
Chapter 3 Getting Ready to Teach: Development Considerations.
PART 2 PLANNING THE SOCIAL STUDIES CURRICULUM FOR THE EARLY CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM:
Chapter 4 Planning Developmentally Appropriate Social Studies.
Chapter 5 Learning About the Past and the Present.
Chapter 6 Learning About the Space Where We Live: Geography and the Young Child.
Chapter 7 Becoming Socially Responsible Citizens in a Democratic Society.
Chapter 8 Bring on the Arts! Exploring the Arts and Creative Expression with Young Children.
Chapter 9 Growing Up in a Multicultural Society.
Chapter 10 Other Sources of Social Studies Content: Economics, Environmental Education, Special Issues.