Request for consultation
Psychology is for a reason—and one insightful book spells out all the "whys." Using a practical problem-solving approach, James S. Nairne's best-selling PSYCHOLOGY, Sixth Edition, focuses on the functions that psychological processes serve before introducing what they are and how they work as well as the application of cognitive science principles to studying and learning. This practical, real-world approach gives students the "why" before delving into the details of "what," "how," and "where." Instead of having to memorize abstract topics, students learn the function and purpose of psychology and how it applies to them--now and in the future. Each chapter is organized around a set of topics that focuses the discussion on the relevance of the material, and then demonstrates that we think and act for adaptive reasons. When students view behavior as the product of real-world problem-solving situations, psychology begins to make sense. Students are engaged as they see the connection between everyday situations and their psychological solutions--and relate material to what they already know from their own experiences. Emphasizing critical thinking and active learning, PSYCHOLOGY, Sixth Edition, teaches students how to use psychology to solve problems in their own everyday lives. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW pedagogical features that concentrate on the application of cognitive science principles to studying and learning have been integrated into the 6th edition to highlight the important role that retrieval plays in learning and its implications for how to study.
- "Recall-Monitor-Recall," a new pedagogical feature at the end of each section, is designed to improve comprehension and retention by encouraging students to practice retrieval.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- New "Practical Solutions," which illustrate the real-world relevance and application of psychology in students' lives, have been added on such topics as "Want to Do Well on the Test? Test Yourself!" and "Mirror Neurons: Solving the Other-Mind Problem."
- Coverage on DSM and psychological disorders throughout the text has been revised to be consistent with the new DSM-5.
- New and expanded topic coverage includes updated discussions on the "Sybil" case, achievement motivation and Maslow's hierarchy of needs, implicit versus explicit prejudice, eating disorders, decision-making heuristics, magnetic seizure therapy, facial expressions and emotion, and many other topics.
- Students have myriad opportunities to develop critical-thinking skills with more than 100 thought-provoking questions included in the margins throughout the text. These questions can also be used to prompt lively classroom discussion and debate.
- Study tools include Learning Goals at the beginning of major sections to help students focus on key issues as they read, and Test Yourself review questions that allow students to check their understanding as they progress through the material. In addition, Concept Review boxes appear regularly throughout the text to reinforce important points.
- A real-world emphasis is reflected in abundant applications and examples integrated throughout the text. In addition, each chapter opens with a "What's It For" preview that explains how and why each psychological process is important in readers' lives, and concludes with a "Psychology for a Reason" feature.
- "Practical Solutions" features in each chapter relate psychology-based solutions to real-life problems, helping students apply chapter concepts to their own lives as they sharpen their problem-solving skills.
- An "Active Summary" section at the end of each chapter asks students to write in key words to complete summary statements about important ideas and information presented in the chapter.
2. The Tools of Psychological Research.
3. Biological Processes.
4. Human Development.
5. Sensation and Perception.
7. Learning From Experience.
9. Language and Thought.
11. Motivation and Emotion.
13. Social Psychology.
14. Psychological Disorders.
16. Stress and Health.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
PowerLecture™ instructor resources are a collection of book-specific lecture and class tools on either CD or DVD. The fastest and easiest way to build customized media-rich lectures, PowerLecture includes chapter-specific PowerPoint® presentations, images, animations and video, the Instructor's Manual with Test Bank, useful web links, and more. You'll also find ExamView®, which allows you to create, deliver, and customize tests and study guides (both print and online) in minutes using items from the Test Bank in computerized format.
CourseMate Instant Access
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flash cards are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, quizzes are already included.
Quizzing with Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flash cards and quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards and quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards and quizzes are already included.