Request for consultation
Known for its readability and systematic, rigorous approach, this fully updated Ninth Edition of FUNDAMENTALS OF ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY offers extensive coverage of the principles and practices of analytic chemistry and consistently shows students its applied nature. The book's award-winning authors begin each chapter with a story and photo of how analytic chemistry is applied in industry, medicine, and all the sciences. To further reinforce student learning, a wealth of dynamic photographs by renowned chemistry photographer Charlie Winters appear as chapter-openers and throughout the text. Incorporating Excel spreadsheets as a problem-solving tool, the Ninth Edition is enhanced by a chapter on Using Spreadsheets in Analytical Chemistry, updated spreadsheet summaries and problems, an "Excel Shortcut Keystrokes for the PC" insert card, and a supplement by the text authors, EXCEL® APPLICATIONS FOR ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, which integrates this important aspect of the study of analytical chemistry into the book's already rich pedagogy. New to this edition is OWL, an online homework and assessment tool that includes the Cengage YouBook, a fully customizable and interactive eBook, which enhances conceptual understanding through hands-on integrated multimedia interactivity. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- OWL (Online Web Learning) is available for the first time with this Ninth Edition. OWL includes parameterized Mastery homework assignments correlated to sections in the text and parameterized end-of-chapter questions. OWL encourages students to practice multiple questions of the same type with different chemicals, wording, and numbers to ensure their mastery of the underlying chemical concepts. OWL also includes the interactive customizable Cengage YouBook and an optional Solutions Manual eBook.
- All chapters have been rewritten for Excel 2010 (or 2007).
- A new Chapter 29 on Mass Spectrometry incorporates atomic mass spectrometry (formerly in Chapter 28) with new material on molecular mass spectrometry.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- New end-of-chapter problems have been added.
- All examples are now titled for easy reference.
- New Feature Boxes appear throughout, such as Feature 14-4 on the Master Equation. Approach.
- Chapter 17 has a new section on Precipitation Titrations.
- In Chapter 25, the discussion on thermal IR detectors now puts more emphasis on the DTGS pyroelectric detector.
- Part VII on Practical Aspects of Chemical Analysis is now online to make it easier for students to access the material on preparing and analyzing real samples.
- Spreadsheet exercises and problems are integrated into the examples and end-of-chapter material in appropriate chapters to enhance student learning.
- The accompanying spreadsheet supplement, EXCEL® APPLICATIONS FOR ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, 2e, helps students learn spreadsheets in the context of analytical applications.
- Thought-provoking and research-oriented "Challenge" problems at the end of each chapter based on data from the literature, current topics of interest, and information accessible on the Internet engage students with today's hot topics.
- The art program features Microsoft® Excel® screenshots, techniques, procedures, and applications with descriptive captions that visually reinforce student understanding.
- Exclusive photographs taken by renowned chemistry photographer Charlie Winters make it easier for students to understand key principles and processes. Each chapter begins with an application-type photograph and an accompanying relevant and interesting story.
- Feature boxes throughout the text cover a wide range of topics, including descriptions of Breath Alcohol Analyzers, Lap-on-a-Chip Technology, Modified Electrodes, Enzymatic Determination of Urea, GC/MS, C/MS, LC/MS/MS, and Capillary Electrophoresis in DNA Sequencing.
- Molecular models, used liberally in most chapters, stimulate interest in the beauty of molecular structures and reinforce structural concepts and descriptive chemistry presented in general chemistry and upper-level courses.
- A wide spectrum of applications, including developments in biology, medicine, and environmental science, illustrates the exciting nature of the field and enhances the relevancy of the material.
PART I: TOOLS OF ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
2. Chemicals, Apparatus, and Unit Operations of Analytical Chemistry
3. Using Spreadsheets in Analytical Chemistry
4. Calculations Used in Analytical Chemistry
5. Errors in Chemical Analyses
6. Random Errors in Chemical Analysis
7. Statistical Data Treatment and Evaluation
8. Sampling, Standardization, and Calibration
PART II: CHEMICAL EQUILIBRIA
9. Aqueous Solutions and Chemical Equilibria
10. Effect of Electrolytes on Chemical Equilibria
11. Solving Equilibrium Problems for Complex Systems
PART III: CLASSICAL METHODS OF ANALYSIS
12. Gravimetric Methods of Analysis
13. Titrimetric Methods; Precipitation Titrimetry
14. Principles of Neutralization Titrations
15. Titration Curves for Complex Acid/Bases Systems
16. Applications of Neutralization Titrations
17. Complexation Reactions and Titrations
PART IV: ELECTROCHEMICAL METHODS
18. Introduction to Electrochemistry
19. Applications of Standard Electrode Potentials
20. Applications of Oxidation/Reduction Titrations
22. Bulk Electrolysis: Electrogravimetry and Coulometry
PART V: SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS
24. Introduction to Spectrochemical Methods
25. Instruments for Optical Spectroscopy
26. Molecular Absorption Spectroscopy
27. Molecular Fluorescence Spectroscopy
28. Atomic Spectroscopy
29. Mass Spectrometry
PART VI: KINETICS AND SEPARATIONS
30. Kinetic Methods of Analysis
31. Introduction to Analytical Separations
32. Gas Chromatography
33. High-Performance Liquid Chromatography
34. Miscellaneous Separation Methods
PART VII: PRACTICAL ASPECTS OF CHEMICAL ANALYSIS
To access the following online-only chapters, enter ISBN 978-0-495-55828-6 at www.cengagebrain.com and visit this book's companion website.
35. Analysis of Real Samples
36. Preparing Samples for Analysis
37. Decomposing and Dissolving the Sample
38. Selected Methods of Analysis
"The chapters dealing with titrimetry are fairly straightforward and, in the opinion of this reviewer, one of the strengths of the text. Specifically, the majority of the problems are well-explained to the student and the problems in the back of the text are helpful, especially with the increasing difficulty of the problems as one proceeds through their completion."
"The authors' do a good job of making this text both readable and engaging. I would like to think a student could sit down with a piece of paper, a calculator and pencil and work through most of these chapters in 1-2 hours with good comprehension. I enjoy the level of activity this book uses in terms of engaging you with interesting problems or real world examples."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Images
The Instructor's Solutions Manual contains answers and detailed solutions to all of the end-of-chapter exercises in the text (other than the open-ended Challenge Problems). The instructor's manual may be used to achieve maximum flexibility for planning homework assignments and can be found on the instructor's section of the Book Companion Website. In addition, this site includes a library of resources valuable to instructors, such as text art and tables, in a variety of e-formats that are easily exported into other software packages.
Instructor's Companion Website
The book's companion website at www.tinyurl.com/skoogpia7 includes more than 100 interactive tutorials on instrumental methods, simulations of analytical techniques, exercises, and animations to help students visualize important concepts. In addition, Excel files containing data and sample spreadsheets are available for download. Selected papers from the chemical literature are also available as PDF files to engage student interest and to provide background information for study. Throughout the book, an icon alerts and encourages students to incorporate the website into their studies.