Request for consultation
Written by two renowned presidential scholars, this comprehensive, best-selling text examines all aspects of the presidency in rich detail. With a special emphasis on policy, the new edition surveys the most up-to-date scholarship on the topic, and includes an examination of the 2012 presidential election. Best-selling authors George C. Edwards and Stephen J. Wayne use engaging analysis and timely, fascinating examples to view the presidency from two theoretical standpoints—the president as "facilitator," and the president as "director of change." A theoretical (versus chronological) approach combined with the currency and relevance of the material, makes PRESIDENTIAL LEADERSHIP: POLITICS AND POLICY MAKING, 9th Edition, the most comprehensive text available today for the presidential studies course.
- Coverage of the 2012 Elections.
- The politics of leadership throughout the Obama presidency.
- Policymaking and the policy agenda in Obama's second term.
- Surveys the latest scholarship on the presidency.
- Presidency in Action: Boxes on Obama's major domestic (health care), economic (deficit/debt/taxes), and national security (Bin Laden) decisions.
- The Obama doctrine in foreign affairs.
- Written by two renowned presidential scholars, this comprehensive text examines all aspects of the presidency in rich detail, with a special emphasis on policy.
- Uses engaging analysis and timely, interesting examples to view the presidency from two standpoints—the president as "facilitator," and the president as "director of change."
- Takes a theoretical (versus chronological) approach combined with the current and relevant content throughout.
2. The Nomination Process.
3. The Presidential Election.
4. The President and the Public.
5. The President and the Media.
6. Presidents and their Advisors.
7. Presidential Decision Making.
8. The President and the Executive Branch.
9. The President and Congress.
10. The President and the Judiciary.
11. Domestic Policy Making.
12. Budgetary and Economic Policy Making.
13. Foreign and Defense Policy Making.
Appendix A: Methods for Studying the Presidency.
Appendix B: Non-electoral Succession, Removal and Tenure.
Appendix C: Provisions of the Constitution of the United States that Relate to the Presidency.
Appendix D: 2012 Electoral and Popular Vote Summary.
"I appreciated the opportunity to use the policymaking emphasis of the textbook so that the students could see the centrality of the presidential office in facilitating changes in our governance system in domestic and in international politics." - Murel Jones, Virginia State University
"The greatest strengths of the book include…the historical overview of the presidency… (and) the suggested readings at the end of each chapters…" - Dr. Curtis R. Berry, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
"…clearly written…covering all the topics utilized in most presidency classes." -Bruce Altschuler, SUNY Oswego
"The three greatest strengths are (the) breadth of topics covered, its readability, and its practical application to the study of the presidency." - Jeff Cummins, California State University, Fresno