Request for consultation
POWERFUL SOCIAL STUDIES FOR ELEMENTARY STUDENTS examines the nature and purpose of social studies as it outlines ways to select content and teach history, geography, and social sciences meaningfully. The book's respected and experienced authors present principles and illustrative examples to help pre-service and in-service teachers plan well-organized, rigorous, and creative social studies instruction that produces positive student outcomes. The fourth edition emphasizes the importance of using developmentally appropriate content and methods when helping students to develop social understanding and prepare for civic life. It also includes a solid research base, uses additional visuals to display content, provides examples of curriculum and design, and reflects principles emphasized in the new College, Career, and Civic Life Framework for Social Studies State Standards.
- A new four-color interior design, along with a greater Number of photos and illustrations, helps students visualize topics while making the material more appealing and accessible.
- New numbered learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter outline what students are expected to know after reading each chapter. To reinforce students' grasp of the material, the objectives are correlated with main sections throughout the chapter and with the chapter-ending summary.
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) standards that correlate with the content covered are listed at the beginning of every chapter.
- Updated Teacher Voice vignettes continue or expand upon the personal stories from instructors presented in the previous edition.
- Each chapter begins with a Teacher Voice: comments by novice and experienced teachers who communicate their views on the content of chapters and talk about how they implement the principles.
- Technology Tips give practical suggestions for using technology to develop and deliver social studies units and lessons.
- Research Base boxes in each chapter highlight one or more of the principles of effective teaching to explain how they serve to make social studies, as well as other content areas, powerful and memorable.
- The interweaving of theory and research with examples from classroom practice helps students apply sound principles to their teaching.
- The authors address strategies for promoting family involvement and home-school connections into the teaching of social studies.
- Topics covered include creating instructional units; planning and conducting field trips; assessment; and instructional methods and strategies to stimulate critical thinking, problem solving, and other twenty-first century skills.
- Chapters end with a Your Turn section that invites readers to apply the chapter's key understandings to scenarios involving planning for teaching a particular topic.
- Instructional units developed by the authors are woven throughout the chapters.
2. How Can I Build a Learning Community that Supports and Engages All Children?
3. What Social Studies Planning Tools Will Help Me Teach Social Studies Powerfully?
4. What Social Studies Planning Tools Are Available?
5. How Can I Teach History Powerfully?
6. How Can I Teach Culture, Geography, Sociology, and Anthropology Powerfully?
7. How Can I Teach I Teach Economics, Civics and Government, and Psychology Powerfully?
8. How Can I Engage Students in Substantive Discourse?
9. How Can I Assess Student Learning?
10. What Strategies Can Help Me Teach Social Studies Powerfully?
11. How Can I Design, Implement, and Evaluate Instructional Activities?
12. How Can Social Studies Education Be Made More Powerful through Curricular Integration?
13. How Can Social Studies Be Extended to the World Beyond School?
14. What Is the Research Base That Informs Ideas about Powerful Social Studies Teaching?
"This book is a sine qua non compendium of relevant themes for today's social studies education and stands out as a stellar academic beverage worth sipping twice."
"This text goes beyond exploration of effective social studies instruction to examine good pedagogy that transfers to other content areas. It is helpful for teachers just beginning their careers in classrooms, as well as being useful for teacher education students who are eager to step into their own social studies classrooms."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as teaching suggestions, solutions, blooper explanations, midterm review, final exam review, chapter test banks, unit tests, chapter quizzes, and many other classroom support materials. This time-saving resource also includes a Test Bank that offers 50 questions per chapter including true/false, multiple choice, short answer, and essay type questions.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint® slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.