Request for consultation
Designed to address the issues of how to paint and what to paint, PAINTING AS A LANGUAGE covers a wide range of information of central importance to beginning and intermediate painting instruction. The authors emphasize the value of the student's cognitive understanding of the process and potential of painting in the student's overall progress in the studio. Blending journal writing with painting and drawing exercises, they guide the student through selecting meaningful subject matter as well as becoming adept at shaping and interpreting that material through the language of painting.
- Introductory chapters on painting materials, techniques, and color may prove invaluable to students.
- The text offers an integrated approach to painting the figure, self-portraits, landscapes, objects, still lifes, and interiors.
- A clear and engaging introduction addresses the important and complex topics that influence contemporary painting practice.
- Illustrations provide examples of key concepts discussed in text.
- Focus On analyses of individual paintings helps students understand how concepts are applied in specific works.
- Painting Exercises challenge the student to combine specific techniques, formalize concerns, and explore content.
1. Getting Started.
2. Materials & Techniques.
5. Personal Identity.
8. Expanded Forms & Ideas.
9. Contemporary Abstractions.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.