Request for consultation
The most trusted and best-selling text for organic chemistry just got better! Updated with more coverage of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, expanded with new end-of-chapter mechanism problems and Practice Your Scientific Reasoning and Analysis questions, and enhanced with OWLv2, the latest version of the leading online homework and learning system for chemistry, John McMurry's ORGANIC CHEMISTRY continues to set the standard for the course. The Ninth Edition also retains McMurry's hallmark qualities: comprehensive, authoritative, and clear. McMurry has developed a reputation for crafting precise and accessible texts that speak to the needs of instructors and students. More than a million students worldwide from a full range of universities have mastered organic chemistry through his trademark style, while instructors at hundreds of colleges and universities have praised his approach time and time again.
- Expanded discussions of interpreting mass spectra, with new spectroscopy problems throughout the book.
- Reorganized and expanded discussion of the theory of nuclear magnetic resonance, and interpretation of NMR data, with new NMR problems.
- Why This Chapter now precedes the introduction in each chapter, immediately setting the context for what to expect.
- Mechanism problems at the ends of chapters are now grouped together so that they are easily located and recognized.
- Many new problems at the ends of chapters have been added, including 108 new mechanism- drawing practice problems and new spectroscopy and NMR problems.
- UNIQUE COVERAGE. McMurry emphasizes organic synthesis as a teaching device to help students organize and work with the large body of factual information that makes up organic chemistry. He also offers an unusually complete treatment of the organic chemistry of nucleic acids and an integrated treatment of polymer chemistry.
- UNIQUE "VISUALIZING CHEMISTRY" PROBLEMS. These problems challenge students to make the essential connection between typical line-bond drawings and computer-generated molecular models. "Visualizing Chemistry" problems enhance your students’ ability to bridge the gap between the microscopic level of molecules and the macroscopic level of daily life.
- HOLISTIC OVERVIEWS. At two key points, McMurry provides an "Overview" to help students grasp the subject matter more holistically. The first "Overview" offers a review of organic mechanisms, while the second discusses the cohesiveness of carbonyl group reactions.
- AN EXEMPLARY ARRAY OF 1,800 PROBLEMS. McMurry’s extensive end-of-chapter problem sets provide students with ample opportunity to practice and master their organic chemistry problem-solving skills.
- PROBLEM-SOLVING FOCUS. Each chapter contains many worked out examples with "Strategy Statements" that illustrate how to solve problems. Each practice problem and solution is then followed by a similar problem for the student to solve. This provides immediate problem-solving reinforcement for the student.
2. Polar Covalent Bonds; Acids and Bases.
3. Organic Compounds: Alkanes and Their Stereochemistry.
4. Organic Compounds: Cycloalkanes and Their Stereochemistry
5. Stereochemistry at Tetrahedral Centers.
6. An Overview of Organic Reactions.
7. Alkenes: Structure and Reactivity.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning I: The Chiral Drug Thalidomide
8. Alkenes: Reactions and Synthesis.
9. Alkynes: An Introduction to Organic Synthesis.
11. Reactions of Alkyl Halides: Nucleophilic Substitutions and Eliminations.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning II: From Mustard Gas to Alkylating Anticancer Drugs
12. Structure Determination: Mass Spectrometry and Infrared Spectroscopy.
13. Structure Determination: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
14. Conjugated Compounds and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy.
15. Benzene and Aromaticity.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning III: Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
16. Chemistry of Benzene: Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
17. Alcohols and Phenols.
18. Ethers and Epoxides; Thiols and Sulfides.
Preview of Carbonyl Chemistry.
19. Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition Reactions.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning IV: SSRIs
20. Carboxylic Acids and Nitriles.
21. Carboxylic Acid Derivatives: Nucleophilic Acyl Substitution Reactions.
22. Carbonyl Alpha-Substitution Reactions.
23. Carbonyl Condensation Reactions.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning V: Thymine in DNA
24. Amines and Heterocycles.
25. Biomolecules: Carbohydrates.
26. Biomolecules: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning VI: Melatonin and Serotonin
27. Biomolecules: Lipids.
28. Biomolecules: Nucleic Acids.
29. The Organic Chemistry of Metabolic Pathways.
30. Orbitals and Organic Chemistry: Pericyclic Reactions.
31. Synthetic Polymers.
Practice Your Scientific Analysis and Reasoning VII: The Potent Antibiotic of Endiandric Acid C.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per semester.