Request for consultation
This unique book makes object relations and self psychology accessible to readers not familiar with recent psychoanalytical literature. The theories presented in the book illuminate areas of childhood experiences such as ''relational'' problems and narcissistic and borderline personality disorders. Readers will find clinical insights about object relations and self psychology through the presentation of issues, ideas, and controversies of these models of the person.
- New chapter-ending discussion questions help instructors to facilitate class discussions in reference to each theorist presented in the book.
- Updated case studies illustrate the theories presented and provide students with examples of how a therapist might proceed.
- Revised chapters and bibliography to provide students with current references.
- The book provides a concise and easy-to-understand overview of the most well-known theorists and their work.
- Each of the nine chapters covering a major theorist presents an introduction of the theory, core issues, therapy model, case illustration, and assessment and critique of the theory.
- Critique sections in each chapter examine how different theorists vary from both the classical Freudian model and from one another.
2. The Freudian Starting Point: Concepts Relevant to Object Relations and Self Psychology Theories.
3. Melanie Klein: Innovative and Transitional Theorist.
4. W.R.D. Fairbairn: A "Pure" Object Relations Model.
5. D.W. Winnicott: Pediatrician With a Unique Perspective.
6. Margaret S. Mahler: The Psychological Birth of the Individual.
7. Edith Jacobson: An Integrated Model.
8. Otto Kernberg: A Synthesis.
9. Heinz Kohut: Self Psychology and Narcissism.
10. Stephen A. Mitchell: The Integrated Relational Model.
11. A Case Study Narrative.
"St. Clair has done a fine job of highlighting the evolution of psychoanalytic thought from classical Freudian to Object Relations and Self Psychology theories, and presenting complex material in a very palatable fashion."
"I would say it’s a good clear introduction to the various object relations and self psychology approaches...and a good starting point for students beginning their masters level counseling program."
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.