Request for consultation
你我他 (Ni Wo Ta) is a complete first-year program that makes learning Chinese easier through an engaging video program, robust multimedia integration, proven pedagogy, and comprehensive cultural coverage. This textbook is designed with the national standards in mind and builds beginner-level proficiency through three modes of communication: interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational. INTRODUCTORY CHINESE features a clear, easy-to-follow structure that is ideal for instructors with any level of teaching experience.
- Video-driven pedagogy. Shot on location in China, the video program offers a fresh and contemporary view of Chinese language and culture. The textbook program's video-driven pedagogy combines visual and audio stimuli, providing an engaging context for language learning. The program helps students develop their listening skills, tackle pronunciation without becoming overly reliant on Pinyin, and discover relevant culture information.
- Clear organization. Units are theme-based and structured around key communicative goals. The program adopts a clear, easy-to-follow structure, with each unit organized by two color-coded lessons: Parts A and B.
- Accessible grammar. INTRODUCTORY CHINESE offers a comprehensive and systematic grammar framework, providing a solid linguistic foundation for students. The grammar items are carefully sequenced to match the unit topics and communicative goals. Key grammar concepts are illustrated through the video and are further reinforced through online exercises, making learning effective and fun.
- High-frequency vocabulary. The vocabulary program adopts a bottom-up approach and equips learners with the necessary “building blocks” to allow for more substantive and creative expressions. Lessons begin with theme-based and categorized vocabulary lists, followed by engaging online aural-oral activities.
- Rich culture program. The textbook incorporates rich and engaging cultural content through its video program and culture-based readings. These features are set in the context of various Chinese communities and foster the learner's culture awareness from a global point of view.
- Robust technology integration. Features throughout the textbook direct students to interactive web-based activities on the iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center. iLrn™ includes a fully interactive eBook, companion videos, integrated textbook activities, interactive practice activities, a trackable self-test study tool, a VoiceBoard, ShareIt!, and more.
- Comprehensive unit review. The Review and Integration section at the end of each unit summarizes key vocabulary and grammar, while further reinforcing students' interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational communication skills.
A: Pronunciation and the Phonetic System.
B: Character Writing: Basic Strokes.
A: Unique Sounds and Their Pinyin Rules.
B: Character Writing: Radicals.
A: Polysyllabics, Unique Pronunciations, and Pinyin Rules.
B: Character Writing: Radicals and Their Positions (I).
A: The Suffix -er, Tone Sandhi, and Homophones.
B: Character Writing: Radicals and Their Positions (II).
Unit 1. About Me.
A: My name is Xiaodong Lin.
B: My family.
Unit 2. New Friends.
A: This is my dorm room.
B: Where are you from?
Unit 3. About Objects.
A: My schoolbag is too small.
B: Let's buy a new one.
Unit 4. Money and Shopping.
A: How much is this?
B: What size do you want?
Unit 5. Hobbies and Activities.
A: What do you like to do?
B: There's a party tomorrow.
Unit 6. Time and Daily Routines.
A: My activities for this week.
B: Are you free this weekend?
Unit 7. Travel Plans.
A: Winter break is almost here.
B: We plan to travel.
Appendix 1: Parts of Speech.
Appendix 2: Understanding Grammar and Structures.
Appendix 3: Pattern Index.
Appendix 4: Vocabulary Index 1 (Chinese to English).
Appendix 5: Vocabulary Index 2 (English to Chinese).
Appendix 6: Thematical Vocabulary Index.
Appendix 7: Video Scripts.
Appendix 8: Map of China.
"This is a very good approach in terms of presenting vivid dialogues and tasks to engage students who may never be given such chances by traditional textbooks. The task-based approach will put language learning back into its lively context where conversations happen as an exchange of minds, not sounds. It definitely will capture students' interest and encourage them to imitate what they watch."
": [你我他 Ni Wo Ta: An Introduction to Chinese] features a total dynamic approach in learning introductory Chinese, which will be the first textbook of this kind."
"This is a pioneering textbook. . . . It provides useful teaching materials and advanced approaches."
"Comparatively authentic language, rich cultural information, real-world characters, and realistic settings in China serve to capture students' attention, stimulate them in learning Chinese, and encourage them to study abroad."
"This proposal supports a balanced pedagogical focus that employs both performance-based and tasked-based approaches, using multimedia as the main platform to deliver content that involves an ongoing story line."
"This is one of the most thorough and tightly knit course materials I've come across."
"Authentic, innovative, interesting, and informational with sound pedagogical grammar provided."
"The selection of vocabulary is up-to-date-in fact, introducing words and phrases that are useful for beginners to learn but many standard first-year textbooks do not include in the first few lessons."
"[你我他 Ni Wo Ta: An Introduction to Chinese] provides more sample sentences and more meaningful sentences than many textbooks. [The book] introduces a novel idea of focusing on students' grasp of sentences before moving to the main text. . . . The vocabulary is well-selected and closely associated with the tasks."
"The [grammar] explanations are clear, easy to comprehend, and complete."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Introductory Chinese Traditional Literacy Workbook, Volume 1
The character workbook incorporates both handwriting and typing exercises that reinforce each other. Typing is introduced in the program as it has become the main medium for written communication. Traditional writing by hand and readings and accompanying activities can also be found in the workbook, designed to develop students' reading and writing skills.
Introductory Chinese Traditional Literacy Workbook, Volume 1
The character workbook incorporates both handwriting and typing exercises that reinforce each other. Typing is introduced in the program as it has become the main medium for written communication. Traditional writing by hand and readings and accompanying activities can also be found in the workbook, designed to develop your reading and writing skills.