Request for consultation
The second edition of MODERN GARDE MANGER: A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE, was written for both the working chef and the serious student engaged in the practice and study of culinary arts. The first edition was winner of the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award. Its carefully researched information and fully tested recipes span the international spectrum of the modern garde manger station. Four sections covering twenty chapters focus on the chef's required knowledge and responsibilities. This second edition has been reorganized to provide a clearer transition from subject to subject, and skill set to skill set. Special features include: Chapter Goals; Professional Profiles; Ask the Expert; People, Places, Things; Review Questions; Activities and Applications; and Key Words in Review. The text contains material on molecular cuisine, plus creative equipment used by garde manger chefs. There are more than 800 four-color photographs of which more than 300 are new, including many finished plates, platters, showpieces and step-by-step procedures, plus many additional recipes and expanded content on food show competition, buffet table layouts, ice sculpting techniques and more. . While Modern Garde Manger, 2e still retains its exposure to international recipes and techniques, more traditionally American recipes and techniques have been included in this edition. MODERN GARDE MANGER 2E is the most comprehensive book of its kind available for today's student and professional chef. In addition, a CourseMate website is available to accompany the text. CourseMate includes: an interactive eBook; Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course; and interactive teaching and learning tools including quizzes, flashcards, crossword puzzles, PowerPoint® slides and more.
- The second edition has been reorganized to provide a clearer transition from subject to subject, and skill set to skill set and includes new chapters on the topics of Measurements and Equipment; Modern Techniques in Kitchen Chemistry (molecular gastronomy); and Raw Proteins.
- More than 300 new custom-created photographs have been added, together with the inclusion of numerous step-by-step techniques to aid in reader comprehension.
- New chapter features include Ask the Expert where different food experts are quizzed on narrow subject areas contained in the chapter; and People, Places, Things where additional information of interest is included, adding to the overall understanding of a subject area. The Chapter Review section has been expanded to include both individual and group activities.
- While Modern Garde Manger, 2e still retains its broad exposure to international recipes and techniques, more traditionally American recipes and techniques have been included in this second edition.
- New content includes a cheese tasting chart; additional recipes; information on specialty equipment relating to the chapters; and added information on entering culinary salon competitions, including a peek into the tryouts for the 2012 ACF Culinary Team USA.
- A CourseMate website is available to accompany the text. CourseMate includes: an interactive eBook, interactive teaching and learning tools including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Crossword Puzzles, PowerPoint® slides, and more. Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
- Features detailed information on foundations, preparation and fabrication skills of garde manger and topics including preserved foods and displayed arts of the garde manger. Unique to this textbook is a chapter on raw proteins.
- Includes Chapter Goals; Professional Profiles; Ask the Expert; People, Places, Things; Review Questions; Activities and Applications; and Key Words in Review in each chapter.
- Contains carefully researched information and fully tested recipes that span the broad international spectrum of the modern garde manger station.
- Includes hundreds of photographs, recipes. Illustrations, graphs and charts.
- Contains numerous food preparation techniques, with many fully illustrated using a series of step-by-step photographs.
About the Authors.
Part I: FOUNDATIONS IN GARDE MANGER.
1. Introduction to Garde Manger.
2. Measurements and Equipment.
3. Modern Techniques in Kitchen Chemistry.
4. The Garde Manger's Pantry.
5. Cold Sauces, Dips, Soups, and Beverages.
6. Pasta, Dumplings, and Dough Accompaniments.
Part II: PREPARATION SKILLS OF THE GARDE MANGER.
8. Salads and Dressings.
10. Raw Proteins.
Part III: FABRICATION SKILLS OF THE GARDE MANGER.
11. Fish and Shellfish.
12. Poultry and Game Birds.
14. Specialty Meats.
15. Game Meats.
16. Curing, Smoking, Barbecue and Salumi.
Part IV: DISPLAYED ARTS OF THE GARDE MANGER.
17. Pates, Terrines, and Mousselines.
18. Cheese Preparation and Presentation.
19. Food Sculpting, Carving, and Modeling.
20. Food Decoration, Platter and Buffet Presentation.
Appendix A: Weights and Measurements.
Appendix B: Canned Goods.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resource CD includes the instructor's manual, computerized test bank in ExamView® format, lesson plans, and PowerPoint® lecture slides.
CourseMate Instant Access
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.